speakers , bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
Does it give mode bass if i would have more speakers at same ammount of power?
Does rubber creates more resistance if woofer would punch form one side to another compared to slow listening, if so would more speakers help to get more sound with same energy?
I ask because i have jamo speakers wth 8 inch woofers that does not seem to give much more bass hitting form one end to another compared to medium movement, however i feel more air pressure and vibration.

Last edited:
More (same size) drive units gives the potential for lower distortion because the drive units have to make smaller excursions for the same sound pressure levels. lower movement equals lower distortion potential. The drive unit is said to be more linear.

Rooms have problems with peaks and nulls (reinforcements and dips). if your drive unit is moving and you cannot hear it you are probably in a bass null. Bass disappears at a given frequency in a bass null.

vinyl rumble can give you lots of cone movement that you cannot hear as music.

Last edited:
I have a really, really small listening room and I get excellent clean, fast bass from two ten inch drivers in sealed boxes.
I see lots of people making the mistake of thinking because they have a tiny listening room they are better off with very small 1-2 way speakers that cannot reproduce deep bass, thankfully it is just not true.

I have a really, really small listening room and I get excellent clean, fast bass from two ten inch drivers in sealed boxes.
I see lots of people making the mistake of thinking because they have a tiny listening room they are better off with very small 1-2 way speakers that cannot reproduce deep bass, thankfully it is just not true.
+1
I got good (better) results linking a pro passive equalizer to the small shelf speakers (2-ways) but woofers bass (low frequencies) and voice come alive when I change to my living room floorstandings speakers 3-ways (no equalizers/no subs) and positioned/auditioned them in the right places. Both had the same type of woofer (two woofers for the 3-way, same room/studio) and where from the same line of JM Labs.

More speakers would have the same problem... in duplicate.
Question: What's the maximum extra size (WxHxL) for a cabinet you can have, that you can use or put under your speakers, let's say if using another 8" for each side for low frequency extension. This taking in consideration that you are not upgrading your speakers or that you are in a later time. ;)

You can try a 8" or a 10" (Price: $85.55 x2) in a small sub like enclosure, one for each side with a small inductor as a low pass filter.
You can have more ideas here Vifa P21W0-20-08 Woofer/ScanSpeak Classic P21WO20 8" Woofer Poly Cone :D

http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/downloads/Vifa/P21WO-20-08.pdf
The Madisound Speaker Store
Jensen-1071
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...uilding-passively-x-overed-3-way-speaker.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.