Building a nice looking sub enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I currently have a DIY sub enclosure which works just fine, but it's an eyesore. It's made out of MDF, which is a great material for building sub enclosures, but it doesn't look good.........it doesn't look like furnature, which is the look I'm after. Obviously, building an enclosure out of solid oak, cherry, or walnut would be prohibitively expensive. I'm thinking the way to go about it is to build the enclosure out of MDF, then cover it with some type of vaneer, plywood, or formica. Having no prior experience with this, any and all suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

grampi said:
....... cover it with some type of vaneer, plywood, or formica. Having no prior experience with this.......

Generally, a veneer or formica would give the best results, but wiould be very difficult for a novice to execute in a manner that will result in a pretty_ furniture_ look

While you haven't mentioned price range, how much effort you're willing to put in, etc. or how what kind of shape the cabinets are in, etc.

One thing that might be plausible is to prime them, use bondo or wood filler where needed, and sand till smooth, reprime then spray them with lacquer, - resand and respray till you're happy. Or prep and spray with an automotive paint -

I've been thinking about doing something along those lines the next time I need to finish some off.

regards

Ken L

That's pretty much what I did with the one I have now. I sanded it smooth and painted it with a black semi-flat matte finish. What I'd really like to do is make an enclosure to match our oak coffee and end tables. I'd like to make it look like a cabinet with doors on the front (faux, of course). You'd have no idea it was a sub unless you saw the plate amp on the back. I have some wood working skills, but I don't know how much skill it would take to accomplish this. I wouldn't want to spend a ton of money on this either, but I know it's going to cost more than just throwing 6 sides of MDF together. I just need to know the best to go about doing it.

Sorry I don't have a photo (no camera :bawling: ) but I painted my MDF sub in matt black and didn't like the finish so then gave it 4 or 5 sprayed coats of satin clear lacquer. Give it a great finish with some "depth". It is has 3.5" x3/4" Jarrah trim down each corner that actually project past the bottom edge to form the legs. There is a Jarrah "frame" around the top with approx 18" square of black glass recessed into it. - Makes a nice piece of furniture.

David L

grampi said:
That's pretty much what I did with the one I have now. I sanded it smooth and painted it with a black semi-flat matte finish. What I'd really like to do is make an enclosure to match our oak coffee and end tables. I'd like to make it look like a cabinet with doors on the front (faux, of course). You'd have no idea it was a sub unless you saw the plate amp on the back. I have some wood working skills, but I don't know how much skill it would take to accomplish this. I wouldn't want to spend a ton of money on this either, but I know it's going to cost more than just throwing 6 sides of MDF together. I just need to know the best to go about doing it.

Okay, what's the problem then? A simple solution to this would be to simply build a very thin outer shell on it (using veneer and 1/2 to 1/4" thick wood) to look like you want out of the wood you want. Are you wanting it to look like a frame and panel construction or something with large solid sides and some doors on the front with a raised or flat panel?

As to skill, it'll take some time and patience to apply the veneer so that it looks good, but if you go the frame and panel route, I can give you some good ideas to hide things so that it looks neater!

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I covered my subs with wood grain formica and they came out fine. You have to be careful at the edges so you don't chip the formica because it is so hard and brittle. Look here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=142161#post142161

The dual 10" drivers are mounted in an old JBL Lancer 77 box. I covered it with 1/4" birch plywood. Then I routed all of the corners for 3/4" square oak. After routing the square stock flush to the plywood sides, I routed them with a 1/4 round bit to radius all of the edges.

Either way is a lot of work, and you'll need to take your time if you're new to wood working, but it was pretty cheap. Plus you can get everything from Home Depot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.