Bought a lathe so I can turn horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That is an impressive lathe, but complete overkill for most turned horns. I built Romy's full size 126Hz tractrix horns using a $300 Sears wood lathe. I detached the stock head and built a stand with a pulley reduction system and a couple pillow bearings.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

When building your horns I highly recommend you cut the center out of each layer. It will save you so much time it is well worth it. Many times the center cut outs from the larger pieces are big enough to get another layer. In addition, cut out each layer to the angle as it is laid out on your pattern. Transfer the angle of the layer from your pattern to your saw and cut out the layer. This will also save you a ton of time on the lathe. I'd also recommend turning large pieces in two or even three sections to keep them manageable. Use aligned dowel rods to join the sections together. Lastly, there is no need for clamps when building these kind of layered horns. I use glue and screws. I glue a layer up and put 6 screws in it to serve as the clamp. On the next layer I rotate my screws 30 degrees so I don't hits the screw heads in the layer below it. Using this method you can build up the entire horn in under an hour. Let it dry over night and it is read for the lathe the next day.

Very impressive J. I've seen those in pix of R's system and always wondered about them. I know a lot of woodturners that use that method of build up. I want my horns to be made from hardwood and finding pieces that big is a challenge. I'll be doing a lot of glue ups to begin with.

I am also using this lathe for production not related to audio. It and the shop press are necessary for that.

Hi JLH, in looking at the throat and driver mounting section of that horn, does it use an M4? Sorry djn, dont mean to derail your thread.

A M4 as in the Community M4 large scale compression driver? If that is your question, then the answer is no. I would never use that driver in a hi-fi system. Their sound quality is very poor. These horns used the now discontinued Fane Studio 8M.

At a glance it looked like that was what it was cut out to receive. I was going to ask how that worked out.

I feel better now, thanks.

I can see how you might think that by looking at the pictures. All those holes were for the bolts to hold the back chamber cap in place.

Attachments

• Fane loaded chamber.jpg
    Fane loaded chamber.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 111
Yeah Ash is good wood, kiln dried, hard... but that was my point, it's hard. More work, tougher wood. Softer wood might pull out, but to try a setup, it's cheap, available and soft. That was all I was getting at - start easy, go hard...?

Nicely turned horns JLH!

I had a pair of Fane drivers like yours, they had a nicely rising response, making them good for horn loading, but I wonder how the response measured? I did not find them to be without significant deviations in the response (deviations from the curve, not just a flat response).

djn, if you can put a plate or chuck on the outside of the headstock BOY you can really turn anything!! Can't wait to see what you make!!

_-_-

djn, if you can put a plate or chuck on the outside of the headstock BOY you can really turn anything!! Can't wait to see what you make!!

_-_-

I have a face plate for outboard turning. I can go 84"...so that is fairly big!

Have to say WOW!!! Looking really good, I can't wait to see everything finished. What amp are you going to run on them?

If you're asking me, I will drive them with a GM70 SET amp.

DJN, congratulations on your "new" lathe. Nice monster...

I've picked up a much smaller el cheapo lathe from my dad a few weeks ago and have worked it over to get it working mostly right. I'm ready to try to turn a pair of 1" throat 1K Lecleach profile horns. The pics in the thread have been very helpful in figuring out how to turn horns.

What have folks done for the mounting flange for bolt on horn drivers on wood horns?

So much to learn. I've worked with wood all my life but turning is new to me...

My wife and I were watching TV tonight and during a commercial I looked at CL and found a dust collector and tubing/connectors/shut-offs for 100 bucks.* I talked to the guy, got in my truck and drove 40 miles and picked up this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.