Bought a lathe so I can turn horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You definitely wouldn't make a 84" horn from solid, I was looking at compound turning, joining lots of mitred bits together, far more efficient use of wood. Or have them like staves of a barrel, requires far more complex geometry and accuracy. I need to get my ones glued up...

If you find any tips please let me know

Wouldn't that be something to turn an 84" horn. I don't think I'd be tackling that too soon. Yes, most of the horns will have to be glue ups. I could turn them out of solid logs, but the splitting would be an issue.

A 1khz horn could be turned out of a log though. That is small enough.

The compound slide is very heave duty for a wood lathe. This was never meant to be a metal lathe. It was used to make round parts to make molds in a foundry. With the bed extension it can turn a piece 30 inches in diameter and 64 feet long. Yep 64 FEET. I think they only made 3 of those bed extensions.
Your lathe can turn 64feet long?
Ha Ha, it's April !st again.:D

This is not a joke. I don't have that bed extension but if I did, it would be this lathe.

Attachments

• Oliver b&w.jpg
    Oliver b&w.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 303
The compound slide is very heave duty for a wood lathe. This was never meant to be a metal lathe. It was used to make round parts to make molds in a foundry. With the bed extension it can turn a piece 30 inches in diameter and 64 feet long. Yep 64 FEET. I think they only made 3 of those bed extensions.

A 30 inch diameter log of lightweight Basswood 64 feet long would weigh 11,000lb approx. Think about it.

Very nice find. Well done, sir. What are your plans for a first, tractrix , Le Cleac'h?

I am thinking about the Tractrix profile.

But you only need a capacitor...anything is better than a single phase motor!

It has a 3 phase motor and I only have single phase so that is why I needed the rotary converter.

Nice find.

I've always been fascinated by big horns, but never gotten around to actually making a pair, though I have the equipment for it.

Magura :)

Can't hurt anything by turning a pair and see how it goes. The worst thing that can happen is you make really good looking firewood

The best wood to turn horns from is Poplar. It is stable, easy to turn, takes a stain very well, and the best part, it is not that expensive.

P.S., I really like the looks of your amps. The look very chic.

Poplar is pretty expensive around here, as just about any other type of respectable wood is, unfortunately.
I'd wish I still knew somebody from the U.S. Forces stationed around here, as they got that sort of stuff shipped over for free.

...oh, and thanks for the compliment, not everybody thinks they're all that nice.

Magura :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.