Help with speakerfilter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Mississippi,

There seems to be a little confusion regarding the tweeter. Strawberry assumes two tweeters and wonders if they are connected in parallel or serial. On the other hand, I concluded from your description, there is no tweeter at all and suggested a coaxial driver. And you propose to use the Beyma CDX1 in a horn, which hardly fits into your cabinet. :confused:

I made a simulation of the drivers proposed and your current crossover. Unfortunately I do not know the frequency response of the Celestion tweeter on a Beyma TD194 horn, but I found a measurement with the Monacor MRH-200 horn to use instead. Cabinet volume is assumed to be 120 litres each, tuning frequency 57.5 Hz and microphone distance 3 m:

SimulationMississippi.jpg

CrossoverMississippi.jpg

Obviously the woofer does not work at all. The filter produces only a huge resonance at 100 Hz and a dangerous impedance of 2 ohm. This section is completely useless and remains a mystery. Are you sure about the component values of 8 mH and 140 uF?

Midrange and tweeter look much better. However the crossover has to be adjusted to get a crossover frequency around 2 kHz and a flat frequency response.

A passive filtered 3-way PA with a vented midrange is a very difficult task. Therefore I highly recommend to build only a 2-way and to drop the woofer. If both cabinets are equal, you could even build two of them. What are they for?

There is indeed one tweeter, that consists out of the driver and a front peace.
I measured the 140 uF capacitor and disconnect the serie circuit of 47uF and 8 ohm resistor. The value is now about 100uF. My measuring device measured the whole circuit.
We want this system to use for a PA system for our band. We play music of the late 70's.
The bassbin on the flour and the mid/high on a pole abouve the bassbin.
This for left and right.
The tweeter we will put in a separate box as you drawed.
If there are other sugestions, please tell us, because we did not order the speakers yet.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
M.

If there are other sugestions, please tell us, because we did not order the speakers yet.

Why risk the band with less than adequate speakers? Forget the crossover and buy well known driver so it can be designed properly. To reuse the cabinet you must check the driver T/S parameter, whether it will fit to the existing volume. To reuse the crossover, the new crossover design should try to reuse the existing values, with possible coil unwinding or cap paralleling.

It's impossible to give suggestions for a speaker described as vaguely as you did. It took more than twenty posts to find out it's a stereo PA system for your band consisting of four cabinets.

Speaker design requires the exact knowledge of drivers, cabinet dimensions, internal volume, baffle layout and vent diameter and length.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.