diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   Eminence Beta 10CX (ZMA/FRD) (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/232830-eminence-beta-10cx-zma-frd.html)

Michael Chua 26th March 2013 11:32 AM

Eminence Beta 10CX (ZMA/FRD)

2 Attachment(s)
Testing out the 10CX coax. Box is BR (Int Vol=52L).

ZMA file download

Regards
Mike

Saturnus 26th March 2013 11:51 AM

Note that the on-axis response has some giant notches. It's meant to be measured and listened at 10-15 degrees off-axis.

Michael Chua 26th March 2013 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the suggestion. Eminence plot does look rather frightening. It took a leap of faith to purchase this driver. Generally, I avoid drivers were I have to do a lot of correction. Reason I committed on this 10CX is I'm curious to know how well it compares to my Radian Coax.

Saturnus 26th March 2013 03:14 PM

If you think the midwoofer on-axis plot is bad, just wait until you measure the effect it has on your compression driver on-axis response.

We're talking a huge -22dB notch at about 6khz and several smaller notches. Off-axis it measures a lot better though.

Most important to note is that frequency response rarely has much to do with sound quality though. A frequency plot can be used to detect were something could be improved but you really can't say from a frequency plot that a driver sounds bad from the start. Horrible sounding drivers often measure really well on a frequency plot.

Michael Chua 26th March 2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturnus (Post 3428251)
We're talking a huge -22dB notch at about 6khz

That's a deep notch. Have you tried reversing the phase of the compression driver.

Please post the fr plot of your 10CX (on-axis). It'll be interesting to see what kind of response you're referring to. By the way, what is the compression driver you're using?

I'll be out of town for a couple of days. I'll respond when I return.

Michael Chua 29th March 2013 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a sweep with a Peavey RX14 compression driver. The Red trace is actively crossed at 1K. Blue trace is at 2K. Both at 18dB/oct.

Surprisingly, the horn can be crossed below 3K recommended by Eminence.

ivanlukic 9th April 2013 01:40 PM

The notch is due to LF drivers voice coil former protruding from the mouth of horn. If you dare to remove dust cap and know how to cut protruding part you could get rid of the notch (or most of it). But in practice it won't bother you and will not spoil listening experience although it looks ugly in the graph.

Michael Chua 10th April 2013 01:03 AM

Can you post the graph with the notch and a picture showing the woofer voice coil former protruding from the mouth of the horn?

ivanlukic 10th April 2013 05:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Chua (Post 3447925)
Can you post the graph with the notch and a picture showing the woofer voice coil former protruding from the mouth of the horn?

Here is the pic!

ivanlukic 10th April 2013 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Chua (Post 3447925)

Unfortunately I can not find graph. It is published in Klang & Ton CT235 project so it is copyrighted. But I do not recommend this tricky removal of protruding part of vc former. It is very difficult, former is very hard for cutting.