Eminence Beta 10CX (ZMA/FRD)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Michael, thank you for your reply.

While I have yet to determine the cap size needed, the idea is to follow the logic in post #1 (see the 2nd diagram) link below, for integrating the piezo with the beta.
Using piezo tweeters wisely: a "how to" - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Overall, here's the idea;
A single, Class D Audio 254L amp, driving a Bill Fitzmaurice folded horn sub...yet to be built. A second Class D Audio 254 (sharing the same power supply) amp dedicated to the Beta/piezo coaxial combination. This would have the 2496 used as a 2 way cross over vs. 3 way eliminating the need for tri-amping. The same band width is passed to both mid and tweet with the ability to adjust the tweeter spl level. Make sense????

If you have any interest in looking at a piezo, here's an inexpensive unit.
GRS PZ1188 Piezo Horn Driver Similar to KSN1188A 292-450
You may have notice in that in the piezo thread that this fella doesn't have much regard anything other then the CTS units, so without knowing any better I'm hoping to play it safe and spending a little more on the CTS unit.
Kindest,
Marko
PS: neat to see some of your great work, hope I haven't been a distraction.

Thanks for the reply.

Reason I was asking was I already have a pair of Selenium D2500Ti drivers and can get really good pricing on the Eminence drivers. A pair of Eminence with the D2500s would be less than half the price of the Radian drivers given what I paid for the compression drivers and cost of the Eminence.

Radian still makes a 10- the 5210.

Hi winslow

I can't really give you an answer because I don't have the Radian 10" coax to compare with. They used to make them many years back, like in the 90s', but I think they only manufacture the 8" and 12" coaxials nowadays.

When compared to my 8" and 12" Radians, the Radians sound nicer because of their compression drivers. Even if you were to fit the 10CX with a Radian 450PB, I believe the Radian Coax is still better. If my memory serves me correctly, the Radian horn has a smoother response.

Hi Marko

No distraction at all. Frankly, I've never used piezos before. Bought a bunch of cheapos from PE lately. Swept them with LMS and they went straight back into box. As far as I'm concerned, they are useless.

I understand what you're trying to do now. It is possible. Bi-amp for the sub and run passive for the 10CX with the CTS. Piezo volume controlled by L-pad.

I tend to agree on using the CTS units. There's always a price for quality. The problem is, I've never worked with the KSN-1188 before so I don't know what the benefits are over conventional compression drivers in the same price range.

A pair of Eminence with the D2500s would be less than half the price of the Radian drivers given what I paid for the compression drivers and cost of the Eminence.

Radians are costly but sound superb. They are also not without issues. Some of my Radian coaxials are in dire need of repair. The paper cones rot. Simply disintegrates when I touch them. The voice coil jams. Possibly due to oxidation.

I don't honestly know whether they have resolved these problems. My units are more than 10 years old.

Personally, I think it's a good choice using your D2500s with the 10CX.

Michael,
Sounds like the Fella on the AK thread was correct with his low budget Piezo assessment.
Hope you didn't test those cheaper units on my account, if so I'd be happy to reimburse you, just let me know and we can make some arrangements.
Think I'll take my chances with the CTX and Beta 10. I have no experience with a full ranger or coaxial ...looking forward to the new and unfamiliar territory.

Thanks again for takiing the time to respond to my questions.

Kindest,
Marko

The DNA-150 looks promising. I may just decide to try it out with the 10CX. I'm always on a look out for quality budget stuff. May even try out some of the horns. The budget horns like the DW-26S, looks better manufactured than the Pyle/Dayton horns.
I'm assuming you're talking about the Pyle/Dayton horns that are copies of the JBL PT waveguide? I've been planning to try it for a long time now, because I've got a pair of the JBL waveguides sitting around. Can't seem to get around to it. My hunch is it could work really well with a 4-6" midwoofer and that waveguide, where it doesn't have to struggle to produce high output in the 1-2kHz region.

Hi markus

No, haven't yet. I don't usually measure off-axis until I completed testing. Right now, I'm still trying to find the best compression driver to go with the 10CX.

If it helps, the 10CX sounds fine at about 15 deg off-axis. Doesn't "spit" at me or "breakup" like some speakers do.

I'll be getting back to the 10CX soon. I just finished re-working a 2-way with the ZA14.

My hunch is it could work really well with a 4-6" midwoofer and that waveguide, where it doesn't have to struggle to produce high output in the 1-2kHz region.

The smaller woofers would be easier. I tried a few waveguides with 7" and 8" drivers. They were preliminary tests, hence the waveguide was simply placed on top of the box. What I wanted to determine was the waveguide behavior and how it sounds like.

Here's one with a Pyle PH612. I think it'll be better with the Peerless 8". I would much prefer to use a 10"-12" to match the mouth of the horn. Perhaps one of the Eminence 12" that can extend up to 1.5kHz.

This one is with the Pyle PH715 Asymmetric Horn.

Hope you didn't test those cheaper units on my account, if so I'd be happy to reimburse you....

Thanks for the offer but those piezos were bought a couple of months ago. It was simply out of curiosity. I wanted to see what kind of results a $1-$2 piezo tweeter can do. Waste of money.

I would like to test a proper one like the CTS KSN-1188 sometime. There must be benefits otherwise they would not be in production.

I just bought the Denovo DNA-150 and DNA-350 compression drivers. It'll be fun to test them with the 10CX.

In case it wasn't clear, I was talking about smaller woofers specifically in regard to the little DNA-150, which I imagine/guess can't get to very high SPL in the 1500Hz-ish region where you'd cross a 90° waveguide to a large woofer. Take a smaller woofer that matches the 90° pattern a little higher in frequency, and problem solved, maybe.

Michael, how did the CX-10 and Selenium D220Ti sound compared to the CX-10 and ASD1001 ?
Is the Selenium far better than than the ASD1001 as some others reported.
I have the ASD1001 and need to decide quickly if the 220Ti is really worth the money considering I have to pay twice the US price for it !
Did you get a FR plot for the CX-10 / Selenium D 220Ti combination ?
Thanks.

Hi ashok

I don't have the ASD1001, so can't really comment. I did some test with the Selenium D220Ti but it wasn't with the 10CX. It was loaded with different horn profiles.

After I finished with my current project, I hope to get back to the 10CX. I am keen to compare Selenium's D220Ti with Denovo's DNA-350. These drivers have been sitting here staring at me for the past few months. I have a hunch the DNA-350 may be a better choice.

Hi Multitask ,
Thanks for your opinion. There are so many variables that it's hard to give a conclusive answer.

Hi Michael,
My problem is that I cannot get all the drivers or even access some. I get just a few brands at much higher prices. So I need to depend on others to get some sort of idea as to what I should pick. This doesn't mean that I will end up with the same opinion but there seems to be no other way out of this 'restriction' on the ability to try out all drivers !

I'm trying to see if I can get them locally , if not I will have to import them at a higher price. But as I see it it looks like I should get the 220Ti to experiment as it can't be worse than the ASD1001 ( which isn't too bad by itself). I measured the ASD freq resp and it was quite good. Better than the APT50. But then again eventually it also depends on crossover etc.

Bottom line is that it appears to be worth getting the D220Ti.;)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.