Eminence Beta 10CX (ZMA/FRD)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are you asking me ? What ASD or Selenium D220Ti ?.......
Ha...Ha.... Everything has been left as it was last year. Too many things happened but I keep reminding myself every time I go past the assembled OB that I should complete it. I haven't been able to do much work on these ( or most other ) projects.
However I did get the Selenium D220Ti and it sounded a shade sharper than the ASD1001. But it has some sibilance compared to the ASD1001. Will have to measure them sometime.
I do hope to be able to get everything done by April as the latter half of the year is going to be very busy with other activities.

Yes, it will be interesting to know how they sound.
Actually the ASD1001 on the CX10 sounds quite nice. The slightly drooping HF can be electronically corrected easily in an active system ( which is what mine will eventually be). Maybe it won't need it in an active system ! The Selenium 220Ti definitely sounds sharper with the stock passive crossover. Might need to test the tweeters separately on the 10CX to know if the problem is the driver or the crossover.
I might get that done in a couple of weeks time !

I have a pair of Beta 10CX's with ASD1001's in little 0.63 ft^3 boxes. They sound great, but I've wanted to horn load them. I had some dirty scrap plywood and masonite, so I slapped something together yesterday. Sounds fantastic with a couple of watts. With 5 or 10 watts I figured the cops would get there soon.

The little Beta 10 can drive a huge throat, almost a square foot, so it cuts the length of the horn way down. The mouth on this thing is 40" X 40" (1.02 m^2). The calculations put the F0 at 48 Hz. The little driver looks a bit freakish on the huge horn, or is it a freakish horn on the little driver?

Last edited:
Here're a couple of pictures of the insides. They show shelves in the exponential part of the horn. They're intended to keep sound from traveling down from the top in the back of the exponential. I tried the speaker without first because I wanted the look of the big JBL long throw tweeter horns. With the shelves it'd look like a lensed tweeter. Maybe that look would be cool with many thin shelves.

The compression chamber is a bit too big, so I see some cone movement on low passages. It needs sides in the chamber from the front baffle to somewhere along the contour. The two formulas for compression chamber volume on the Single Driver site produce pretty different results, so a good bit of time could be spent there. I'll probably just stack up bricks to take volume rather than cutting wood to experiment. They fit through the cutout.

The Sketchup model really isn't a complete plan, though the contour is correct. Everything's paper thin. I'll need to do a real design if I make it out of real wood. I was thinking maybe bamboo plywood, though I am partial to walnut faced plywood. I guess I think speakers should just look like JBL's.

I don't remember the crossover point. I'll measure it when next I take the driver out. It seems to work well, though I haven't measured it. I haven't had a Speaker Workshop setup that works well for a while. It doesn't have dance club bass, but solid and clear 40' away outside. I think a stack of Beta 10CX exponential horns, 10" high and 15' wide, stacked up would be way better than the computer designed, multi-enterent junk outdoor venues use these days.

Cheers

Beta10CX with Radian 450B

Has anyone tried the Eminence Beta10CX with a Radian 450PB compression driver? It looks appealing on paper--the Thiele-Small parameters of the 10CX look to appear to be able to get decent response in a smallish (1.55 cu, ft.) box, and the Radian drivers are known for their low distortion.

Looks like the Celestion driver runs about $80, about the same as an Eminence PSD2013. What's not to like about titanium? The Celestion uses a 'copper clad' aluminum voice coil with a PETP diaphragm. hmmm...not heard of that before.
That autoformer seems cool, but at about $80, it's an expensive attenuator---does it really make a difference?

FYI-

I used the 10CX + and 220Ti on my copper speakers back in 2009. Zilch offered to help choose drivers and design the crossover. We, too; noticed notches ~6 to 10khz and also found off-axis response was a little smoother.

The intended use was for sound re-enforecement. The speakers sound quite good and have performed flawlessly since then.

Zilch chimes in around here-
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/133490-need-good-drivers-copper-speaker-cabinet-8.html

Hope this helps!

Best- Kent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.