Eminence Beta 10CX (ZMA/FRD) - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2013, 06:29 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

Hi markus

No, haven't yet. I don't usually measure off-axis until I completed testing. Right now, I'm still trying to find the best compression driver to go with the 10CX.

If it helps, the 10CX sounds fine at about 15 deg off-axis. Doesn't "spit" at me or "breakup" like some speakers do.

I'll be getting back to the 10CX soon. I just finished re-working a 2-way with the ZA14.
Old 29th May 2013, 06:50 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumptruck View Post
My hunch is it could work really well with a 4-6" midwoofer and that waveguide, where it doesn't have to struggle to produce high output in the 1-2kHz region.
The smaller woofers would be easier. I tried a few waveguides with 7" and 8" drivers. They were preliminary tests, hence the waveguide was simply placed on top of the box. What I wanted to determine was the waveguide behavior and how it sounds like.

Here's one with a Pyle PH612. I think it'll be better with the Peerless 8". I would much prefer to use a 10"-12" to match the mouth of the horn. Perhaps one of the Eminence 12" that can extend up to 1.5kHz.

This one is with the Pyle PH715 Asymmetric Horn.
Old 29th May 2013, 07:05 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsouthpaw View Post
Hope you didn't test those cheaper units on my account, if so I'd be happy to reimburse you....
Thanks for the offer but those piezos were bought a couple of months ago. It was simply out of curiosity. I wanted to see what kind of results a $1-$2 piezo tweeter can do. Waste of money.

I would like to test a proper one like the CTS KSN-1188 sometime. There must be benefits otherwise they would not be in production.

I just bought the Denovo DNA-150 and DNA-350 compression drivers. It'll be fun to test them with the 10CX.
Old 29th May 2013, 07:57 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

In case it wasn't clear, I was talking about smaller woofers specifically in regard to the little DNA-150, which I imagine/guess can't get to very high SPL in the 1500Hz-ish region where you'd cross a 90 waveguide to a large woofer. Take a smaller woofer that matches the 90 pattern a little higher in frequency, and problem solved, maybe.
Old 29th May 2013, 09:22 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Yes, I believe the DNA-150 would be a good match for 5-1/4" to 6-1/2" mid-woofers. I'm hoping to cross at 2kHz - 2.2kHz.

Crossing at 1.2kHz - 1.5kHz is tough. It's not a problem for my JBL2425 but I doubt my Radian 450PB is comfortable below 1.5kHz.
Old 26th August 2013, 11:09 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Michael, how did the CX-10 and Selenium D220Ti sound compared to the CX-10 and ASD1001 ?
Is the Selenium far better than than the ASD1001 as some others reported.
I have the ASD1001 and need to decide quickly if the 220Ti is really worth the money considering I have to pay twice the US price for it !
Did you get a FR plot for the CX-10 / Selenium D 220Ti combination ?
Thanks.
Old 26th August 2013, 11:53 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

the d220 walks all over them. i tried the asd1001 in hawthorne`s silver iris, crossed 2.5k 12db, and it sounded horrible!!
but you need a waveguide regardless of driver.
Old 26th August 2013, 02:24 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Hi ashok

I don't have the ASD1001, so can't really comment. I did some test with the Selenium D220Ti but it wasn't with the 10CX. It was loaded with different horn profiles.

After I finished with my current project, I hope to get back to the 10CX. I am keen to compare Selenium's D220Ti with Denovo's DNA-350. These drivers have been sitting here staring at me for the past few months. I have a hunch the DNA-350 may be a better choice.
Old 26th August 2013, 05:32 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Hi Multitask ,
Thanks for your opinion. There are so many variables that it's hard to give a conclusive answer.

Hi Michael,
My problem is that I cannot get all the drivers or even access some. I get just a few brands at much higher prices. So I need to depend on others to get some sort of idea as to what I should pick. This doesn't mean that I will end up with the same opinion but there seems to be no other way out of this 'restriction' on the ability to try out all drivers !

I'm trying to see if I can get them locally , if not I will have to import them at a higher price. But as I see it it looks like I should get the 220Ti to experiment as it can't be worse than the ASD1001 ( which isn't too bad by itself). I measured the ASD freq resp and it was quite good. Better than the APT50. But then again eventually it also depends on crossover etc.

Bottom line is that it appears to be worth getting the D220Ti.

Last edited by ashok; 26th August 2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 17th March 2014, 04:48 AM   #60
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

Did you ever get back to them yet ? It's only been a year

Hide this!Advertise here!