Eminence Beta 10CX (ZMA/FRD) - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2013, 04:09 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Hi Michael, thank you for your reply.

While I have yet to determine the cap size needed, the idea is to follow the logic in post #1 (see the 2nd diagram) link below, for integrating the piezo with the beta.
Using piezo tweeters wisely: a "how to" - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Overall, here's the idea;
A single, Class D Audio 254L amp, driving a Bill Fitzmaurice folded horn sub...yet to be built. A second Class D Audio 254 (sharing the same power supply) amp dedicated to the Beta/piezo coaxial combination. This would have the 2496 used as a 2 way cross over vs. 3 way eliminating the need for tri-amping. The same band width is passed to both mid and tweet with the ability to adjust the tweeter spl level. Make sense????

If you have any interest in looking at a piezo, here's an inexpensive unit.
GRS PZ1188 Piezo Horn Driver Similar to KSN1188A 292-450
You may have notice in that in the piezo thread that this fella doesn't have much regard anything other then the CTS units, so without knowing any better I'm hoping to play it safe and spending a little more on the CTS unit.
Kindest,
Marko
PS: neat to see some of your great work, hope I haven't been a distraction.
Old 23rd May 2013, 03:18 AM   #42
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

It will fit all Radian and JBL 1" drivers, correct? Should drop in on the compression drivers on the Radian coaxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzagaja View Post
Soon there will be available beryllium diaphragm for Radian 475PB. Coax with removable driver is important
Old 23rd May 2013, 03:25 AM   #43
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply.

Reason I was asking was I already have a pair of Selenium D2500Ti drivers and can get really good pricing on the Eminence drivers. A pair of Eminence with the D2500s would be less than half the price of the Radian drivers given what I paid for the compression drivers and cost of the Eminence.

Radian still makes a 10- the 5210.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Chua View Post
Hi winslow

I can't really give you an answer because I don't have the Radian 10" coax to compare with. They used to make them many years back, like in the 90s', but I think they only manufacture the 8" and 12" coaxials nowadays.

When compared to my 8" and 12" Radians, the Radians sound nicer because of their compression drivers. Even if you were to fit the 10CX with a Radian 450PB, I believe the Radian Coax is still better. If my memory serves me correctly, the Radian horn has a smoother response.
Old 23rd May 2013, 04:02 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

This thread is not living up to it's title so far . What about this little guy? > Denovo DNA-150 Compression Driver - Compression Drivers DIY Sound Group
Old 23rd May 2013, 02:11 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Hi dumptruck

The DNA-150 looks promising. I may just decide to try it out with the 10CX. I'm always on a look out for quality budget stuff. May even try out some of the horns. The budget horns like the DW-26S, looks better manufactured than the Pyle/Dayton horns.
Old 23rd May 2013, 02:39 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Hi Marko

No distraction at all. Frankly, I've never used piezos before. Bought a bunch of cheapos from PE lately. Swept them with LMS and they went straight back into box. As far as I'm concerned, they are useless.

I understand what you're trying to do now. It is possible. Bi-amp for the sub and run passive for the 10CX with the CTS. Piezo volume controlled by L-pad.

I tend to agree on using the CTS units. There's always a price for quality. The problem is, I've never worked with the KSN-1188 before so I don't know what the benefits are over conventional compression drivers in the same price range.
Old 23rd May 2013, 02:50 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winslow View Post
A pair of Eminence with the D2500s would be less than half the price of the Radian drivers given what I paid for the compression drivers and cost of the Eminence.
Radians are costly but sound superb. They are also not without issues. Some of my Radian coaxials are in dire need of repair. The paper cones rot. Simply disintegrates when I touch them. The voice coil jams. Possibly due to oxidation.

I don't honestly know whether they have resolved these problems. My units are more than 10 years old.

Personally, I think it's a good choice using your D2500s with the 10CX.
Old 24th May 2013, 03:18 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

Michael,
Sounds like the Fella on the AK thread was correct with his low budget Piezo assessment.
Hope you didn't test those cheaper units on my account, if so I'd be happy to reimburse you, just let me know and we can make some arrangements.
Think I'll take my chances with the CTX and Beta 10. I have no experience with a full ranger or coaxial ...looking forward to the new and unfamiliar territory.

Thanks again for takiing the time to respond to my questions.

Kindest,
Marko
Old 24th May 2013, 05:29 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The DNA-150 looks promising. I may just decide to try it out with the 10CX. I'm always on a look out for quality budget stuff. May even try out some of the horns. The budget horns like the DW-26S, looks better manufactured than the Pyle/Dayton horns.
I'm assuming you're talking about the Pyle/Dayton horns that are copies of the JBL PT waveguide? I've been planning to try it for a long time now, because I've got a pair of the JBL waveguides sitting around. Can't seem to get around to it. My hunch is it could work really well with a 4-6" midwoofer and that waveguide, where it doesn't have to struggle to produce high output in the 1-2kHz region.
Old 24th May 2013, 12:18 PM   #50
Banned

Quote:
The frequency response plot is below.
Michael,

Did you also measure the off-axis response?

Hide this!Advertise here!