Eminence Beta 10CX (ZMA/FRD) - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2013, 10:10 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
I have listened quickly using active crossover and only one speaker in mono. But there is one massive flaw with the Beta10CX that makes it non HI-FI in my opinion and that is that above 5kHz the on and off axis frequency responses are totally different! this is quite noticeable if you listen directly on axis with the speaker however over most listening situations the off axis response (thankfully) dominates. This apparently is due to a poor quality horn cone termination (big step). The 2.5KHz spike in the woofers response that looks huge on the data sheet is not much of a problem in reality.

Saying that everything else is good, the driver goes deep (40Hz) without needing an excessively big box, goes very loud, sounds quite nice and is one of the cheapest coaxials.

Designing a crossover was tricky! I ended up mainly using the off axis frequency response as this seems to be where to listen to the speaker and crossing 3rd order (accoustic) at 2KHz. Waiting on components to try this out.

I would hesitate to recommend this driver to those who are not specifically looking for a coaxial as I think that other coaxial drivers are going to be better (more even power response) but I don't know of anything apart from B&C and they are far too expensive.

*I am familier with full range drivers and this is better for larger speakers, I like full range drivers for near field listening but they are very limited in terms of output before distortion becomes and issue whereas this coax has the same lack of lobbing issues and goes loud.

Last edited by kipman725; 22nd April 2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:29 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipman725 View Post
But there is one massive flaw with the Beta10CX that makes it non HI-FI in my opinion and that is that above 5kHz the on and off axis frequency responses are totally different!
I'm not getting that with my 10CX. My on-axis measurements are quite outstanding actually. Maybe there's an issue with the ASD1001 or the crossover. Can you post your on-axis and off-axis responses?

Whenever there's a compression driver/horn involved, it becomes a bit tricky. Good measuring equipment is essential. Once you know the behaviour of the horn/driver combo, you can then deal with it.
Old 16th May 2013, 07:39 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Michael,

I am perplexed how come that passive crossover described at the end of Osprey project does not use L-pad for Peavey RX14? Drivers used don't have the same efficiency, don't they?
Old 16th May 2013, 01:30 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

I was quite surprised that I didn't have to use L-pads for the Peavey RX14. Either the Rx14 sensitivity matches the 10CX or this particular RX14 that I'm using has a sensitivity issue.

In any event, I'll be comparing it with a new RX14 that I just purchased. It'll be interesting to see whether the sensitivities are the same.

Later, with more time in hand, I will be testing the 10CX with a Selenium D220. I should be able to cross at 1K5 to 1K8. It all depends on the horn.
Old 21st May 2013, 04:33 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

ivanlukic

Just did some comparative tests on sensitivity. They are taken at much lower than 2.83V to preserve my sanity. Amplifier output is however constant for all three plots, so what we have is relative loudness. A Pyle PH612 horn was used throughout. Active crossover was set at 1kHz (18dB/oct).

The Red trace is my old RX14. The Brown trace is a brand new RX14 and the Blue trace is a new Selenium D220Ti.

Looks like the new RX14 is about 5dB louder than the old one. I don't really know why. Maybe it needs a new diaphragm. At least the responses of both of them are similar. I will be re-testing the my 10CX with the new RX14 for L-pads.

It's interesting to note the Selenium is even louder than the RX14. The response is also flatter from 1.5kHz - 10kHz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RX14_PH612_1K.jpg (89.3 KB, 301 views)
Old 21st May 2013, 05:08 PM   #26
jzagaja is offline jzagaja  Poland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jzagaja
My modified 12cx.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1032.JPG (257.2 KB, 322 views)
Old 21st May 2013, 05:21 PM   #27
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

That's nice Jack...I bet that helps smooth out the response.
Old 21st May 2013, 05:22 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Michael, how do these compare to the Radians? Radians worth the extra money?
Old 21st May 2013, 05:24 PM   #29
jzagaja is offline jzagaja  Poland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jzagaja
Pink insert does not make any difference at particular angle of measurement (SPL). White probably does.
Old 21st May 2013, 05:29 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Ha...I just noticed the pink after I read your post.

Hide this!Advertise here!