PA midrange for HiFi 3way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
are they comparable up to 70Hz

Depends on how each are loaded.. but overall, yes. The Lab12 will go lower though.

If you just want a nice midbass driver in a sealed design (good transient response) then consider the Audax PR240MO - at around 6 cubic feet of enclosure volume:

The Madisound Speaker Store

Reasonably low mass and efficient while offering a nice high-pass character around 50 Hz for a Lab12 to crossover to.

If you want one driver to "do it all" (low bass to lower mid.s) and be efficient then I'd recommend looking at this driver:

SB Acoustics :: 15" SB42FHC75-6

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
It has higher non-linear distortion:

THD_96-100dB_14inches.jpg Photo by augerpro | Photobucket

Similar drivers likely have similar distortion profiles.. but maybe not. :eek:

ah, high distortion ? thats a big surprice since its built with a demodulating ring

well, whatever, I would not suggest to use it much above 1500hz anyway
but also means it would have to be mated with CD/horn/waveguide
and since its a 3way, a good woofer could be crossed 'highish'... in which case the B&C 8FE21 could come to play, despite its very short Xmax

but I guess there are better ways

If you want one driver to "do it all" (low bass to lower mid.s) and be efficient then I'd recommend looking at this driver:

SB Acoustics :: 15" SB42FHC75-6

yes, interesting woofer
appears it would work exstremely well in a closed box
if only it wasn't so expencive
for that kind of money you can get almost any anything

I think the best solution will be to use 15p1000fe or 12lx60v2 and a 6,5inch midrange crossed at 250Hz than the lab12 with an 8inch midwoofer. Only one problem is with 15inch beyma that it needs 150l box. I have to think how to make it with high WAF.

It depends on what you want from that 12" or 15" pro midbass driver and how it's loaded.

Certainly power-handling will likely be increased.

You could always use *2* 8" midbass drivers, and perhaps both with rather lower Vas values. ;)

I want from the comete speakers deep and precise bass at least f3=30Hz(I know with the mentioned Beymas it is possible when I am undertuning them and correcting them electronically by miniDSP. It is done also with BV Audio f3b and Max. Also I need low distortion mids and trebles. They will be placed in relatively big room it means they need enough capacity to play with low distortion(I listen music rela.loud as close as possible to realistic level)

I want from the comete speakers deep and precise bass at least f3=30Hz(I know with the mentioned Beymas it is possible when I am undertuning them and correcting them electronically by miniDSP. It is done also with BV Audio f3b and Max. Also I need low distortion mids and trebles. They will be placed in relatively big room it means they need enough capacity to play with low distortion(I listen music rela.loud as close as possible to realistic level)

With eq. you can get just about any lower freq. limit you want. The real question is at what spl? What do you find as a "realistic" spl for a lower freq.? It also includes the question of loading for that driver or drivers.

For all of that you'll need to do some modeling of the various drivers. The only assurance there is that the larger the diameter (and in respect to the enclosure volume and loading), the lower and louder you can go. Likewise, the longer the linear stroke of the driver (xmax), the lower and louder you can go.

Basically, if the driver you like doesn't meet your requirements when modeled - then look to a driver that's a bit larger and/or has a greater xmax.

Can you recommend a SW where I can simulate Xmax and maximum SPL depending on frequency? At the moment I use WinISD Beta, there it is not possible.

Many people swear by the Unibox spreadsheet models:

UniBox - Unified Box Model for Loudspeaker Design - Kristian Ougaard

I particularly like this one of excursion (both cone and port - if vented):

Subwoofer Simulator -- by Isaac MCN

HOWEVER,

I think Jeff Bagby's spreadsheet is possibly more appropriate to your situation:

Box & Circuit Subwoofer Designer

Here is an extended grouping of programs:

FRD Consortium

Thanks for the links.

I made simulations of max SPL and cone excursion and it seems that the best is 15p1000(150l box) than 12lx60V2 (80l box) and the last one is LAB12(90l box).

I'd probably "split the difference" then if you are concerned with cabinet size. ;)

-so the 12lx60V2. (..which is an excellent woofer btw - if a bit massive. Still, while clarity may not be fantastic, tactile force (or "punch") should be very good).

It is decided. I have had a possibility to buy 2 pieces of 1 year old unboxed 12LX60V2 for 80EUR/piece. The next step is choose the midrange. Originally I have considered the 6nd430 however it is little bit a n ugly driver (It is going to the living room and does not fit well) so I need to find something with comparable parameters and acceptable design. What do you think about Beyma 605ND? Do you have experience with this driver?
I am searching for driver which can be crossed at 250-300Hz and usable up to 2kHz.
Do you think is it a good idea to use a dome tweeter like Millenium or DXT in combination of these drivers (maybe not enough Max SPL). Originally I was tinking about TPL150 however it is very expensive. Also I am thinking about to use some compression drive with eliptical or square horn (Celestion or BC). What do you think about this option?

It is decided. I have had a possibility to buy 2 pieces of 1 year old unboxed 12LX60V2 for 80EUR/piece. The next step is choose the midrange. Originally I have considered the 6nd430 however it is little bit a n ugly driver (It is going to the living room and does not fit well) so I need to find something with comparable parameters and acceptable design. What do you think about Beyma 605ND? Do you have experience with this driver?
I am searching for driver which can be crossed at 250-300Hz and usable up to 2kHz.
Do you think is it a good idea to use a dome tweeter like Millenium or DXT in combination of these drivers (maybe not enough Max SPL). Originally I was tinking about TPL150 however it is very expensive. Also I am thinking about to use some compression drive with eliptical or square horn (Celestion or BC). What do you think about this option?

similar to this one ?

f3b

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.