PA midrange for HiFi 3way - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st April 2013, 07:37 PM   #51
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsaif View Post
I think the best solution will be to use 15p1000fe or 12lx60v2 and a 6,5inch midrange crossed at 250Hz than the lab12 with an 8inch midwoofer. Only one problem is with 15inch beyma that it needs 150l box. I have to think how to make it with high WAF.
It depends on what you want from that 12" or 15" pro midbass driver and how it's loaded.

Certainly power-handling will likely be increased.

You could always use *2* 8" midbass drivers, and perhaps both with rather lower Vas values.
Old 1st April 2013, 07:48 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Sorry to but in, but i have had my eye on this driver as a midrange. If numbers are correct, it is a fantastic performer. My hesitance lies in the fact that in my reading, high power woofers require high power amps to sound their best, even in though they have high efficiency. Its as iff they were made to play loud and not at home levels.

http://profesional.beyma.com/pdf/12MW%20NdE.pdf
Old 1st April 2013, 09:58 PM   #53
macsaif is offline macsaif  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

I want from the comete speakers deep and precise bass at least f3=30Hz(I know with the mentioned Beymas it is possible when I am undertuning them and correcting them electronically by miniDSP. It is done also with BV Audio f3b and Max. Also I need low distortion mids and trebles. They will be placed in relatively big room it means they need enough capacity to play with low distortion(I listen music rela.loud as close as possible to realistic level)
Old 1st April 2013, 10:23 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I want from the comete speakers deep and precise bass at least f3=30Hz(I know with the mentioned Beymas it is possible when I am undertuning them and correcting them electronically by miniDSP. It is done also with BV Audio f3b and Max. Also I need low distortion mids and trebles. They will be placed in relatively big room it means they need enough capacity to play with low distortion(I listen music rela.loud as close as possible to realistic level)
With eq. you can get just about any lower freq. limit you want. The real question is at what spl? What do you find as a "realistic" spl for a lower freq.? It also includes the question of loading for that driver or drivers.

For all of that you'll need to do some modeling of the various drivers. The only assurance there is that the larger the diameter (and in respect to the enclosure volume and loading), the lower and louder you can go. Likewise, the longer the linear stroke of the driver (xmax), the lower and louder you can go.

Basically, if the driver you like doesn't meet your requirements when modeled - then look to a driver that's a bit larger and/or has a greater xmax.
Old 2nd April 2013, 05:23 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

Can you recommend a SW where I can simulate Xmax and maximum SPL depending on frequency? At the moment I use WinISD Beta, there it is not possible.
Old 2nd April 2013, 06:46 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Can you recommend a SW where I can simulate Xmax and maximum SPL depending on frequency? At the moment I use WinISD Beta, there it is not possible.
Many people swear by the Unibox spreadsheet models:

UniBox - Unified Box Model for Loudspeaker Design - Kristian Ougaard

I particularly like this one of excursion (both cone and port - if vented):

Subwoofer Simulator -- by Isaac MCN

HOWEVER,

I think Jeff Bagby's spreadsheet is possibly more appropriate to your situation:

Box & Circuit Subwoofer Designer

Here is an extended grouping of programs:

FRD Consortium
Old 2nd April 2013, 09:29 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the links.

I made simulations of max SPL and cone excursion and it seems that the best is 15p1000(150l box) than 12lx60V2 (80l box) and the last one is LAB12(90l box).
Old 3rd April 2013, 02:41 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks for the links.

I made simulations of max SPL and cone excursion and it seems that the best is 15p1000(150l box) than 12lx60V2 (80l box) and the last one is LAB12(90l box).
I'd probably "split the difference" then if you are concerned with cabinet size.

-so the 12lx60V2. (..which is an excellent woofer btw - if a bit massive. Still, while clarity may not be fantastic, tactile force (or "punch") should be very good).
Old 9th April 2013, 10:04 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

It is decided. I have had a possibility to buy 2 pieces of 1 year old unboxed 12LX60V2 for 80EUR/piece. The next step is choose the midrange. Originally I have considered the 6nd430 however it is little bit a n ugly driver (It is going to the living room and does not fit well) so I need to find something with comparable parameters and acceptable design. What do you think about Beyma 605ND? Do you have experience with this driver?
I am searching for driver which can be crossed at 250-300Hz and usable up to 2kHz.
Do you think is it a good idea to use a dome tweeter like Millenium or DXT in combination of these drivers (maybe not enough Max SPL). Originally I was tinking about TPL150 however it is very expensive. Also I am thinking about to use some compression drive with eliptical or square horn (Celestion or BC). What do you think about this option?
Old 9th April 2013, 11:00 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It is decided. I have had a possibility to buy 2 pieces of 1 year old unboxed 12LX60V2 for 80EUR/piece. The next step is choose the midrange. Originally I have considered the 6nd430 however it is little bit a n ugly driver (It is going to the living room and does not fit well) so I need to find something with comparable parameters and acceptable design. What do you think about Beyma 605ND? Do you have experience with this driver?
I am searching for driver which can be crossed at 250-300Hz and usable up to 2kHz.
Do you think is it a good idea to use a dome tweeter like Millenium or DXT in combination of these drivers (maybe not enough Max SPL). Originally I was tinking about TPL150 however it is very expensive. Also I am thinking about to use some compression drive with eliptical or square horn (Celestion or BC). What do you think about this option?
similar to this one ?

f3b

Hide this!Advertise here!