PA midrange for HiFi 3way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
5kjz is too high for a 6.5" midrange IMO as after 3khz or so, it will begin to beam...unless that's a design priority.

As to tweeters, just about any pro audio CD will have substantially lower HD than either of the domes you mentioned. At your intended crossover point, a 6-8" waveguide will hold directivity just fine, and I'd suggest the 18sound XD125 as an introductory horn/cd driver. It's quite easy to work with passively. Of course, there's better....read more expensive options but not sure if you want to start there.

Another fine option of you choose the right mid and cross higher would be a true ribbon...say the Fountek Neo2.0 with avg effiiciency of 95db or so. After baffle step, it's a good match to a 95-99db midrange.

I thought they were made in Poland, EU :confused:

Horns

True, the waveguides can be ordered in fiberglass from Autotech. The compression drivers are (I believe) sourced in the US though, and the 12" SEOS waveguide variant as well as a few other smaller types are being manufactured in injected plastic here in the states too for a much lower price than the fiberglass. Don't know how the shipped prices shake out against each other for someone in Europe.

Yesterday I have been at BVAudio to compare F3B, F3ROY and MAX. It is not easy to tell which is better.
F3ROY - Subjectively the deepest bass, less precise than the others, can not feel the reserve in the power
F3B - the best treble and localisation from 3, I think the midrange was also the clearest...however....I missed the bass and had a feeling of small coloration (maybe missing baffle step compensation???). I had a feeling that sometimes the instruments(saxophone) and vocals had no basis.
MAX - most natural sound, little bit more bass as F3B but less precise. Also less precise localisation and little different trebles. THe midrange was not as clean as F3B.

At home I playd the same songs on my Seas TRYM + LAB12...
Compared to MAX and F3B the trym had less reserve in the power, on the comparable levels I have had a feeling thet the tweeter is clipping. THe bass is deeper and the music have bigger body but not as precise than MAX and F3B but not as "boomy" as F3ROY. Localisation is more less comparable with MAX. The midrange was cleanest of F3B than MAX ---TRYM ----F3ROY.

SO I have some mixed feelings. There is no clear Winner.
At the moment I have 2 options for the next speakers:
1. 15P1000FE+6,5inch midrange (not decided which one)+ TPL150 (Crossover 220-250Hz and 1500-2000Hz) the box like Focal Utopia
2. LAB12+ 7-8inch midwoofer (no idea) + TPL150 (Crossover 80-120Hz and 1500Hz) Probably the LAB12 will be on the side of the box or on the rear.

Can you recommend some 7-8Inch midwoofer with high efficiency and low distortion (maybe PA) which can be crossed at app.100 and 1500Hz?

Only one problem I have with these pro speakers, that they are not so nice. If I am building a home speakers I have to consider also the WAF. Have you ever compared it with some hifi driver? The W22 has much more better design but probably the b&c is much more usable for lab12 and tpl150.

The B&C 8PS21 is being used by Earl Geddes in his Harper 8 speaker and it was also the 8" mid/woofer of choice at the high end line of SEOS kits at diysoundgroup It was tested by Zaph audio and it was one of the best choices for midrange use (up to 2kHz) along with Visaton AL200 Zaph|Audio
I trust your wife loves you and will show some understanding :)

Last edited:
the 18sound looks better. The sound quality and distortion parameters are comparable with the proposed b&c driver?
what are the cons of these 8inch drivers compared to the 6,5inch midranges(6nd430)?

The 8NMB420 isn't so good. I've not seen measurements on the 8MB500 and the 8NW650.

Assuming higher power amplification for your active loudspeaker, I'd just say stick to better Hi Fi drivers for your loudspeaker.

Tweeter: LL2 C120 Air Motion Tweeter (1.9 kHz eliptical).

http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/LL2-C120-FR.gif
http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/LL2-C120-HD.gif
http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/LL2-C120-CSD.gif

BG Neo 10 (in an open-back "box" configuration) (1.9 kHz eliptical for low-pass and high-pass transition with respect to baffle-step on the low-end near 400 Hz):
http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/B&G-Neo10-FR-offaxis-horiz-0-15-30-45-60.gif
http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/B&G-Neo10-HD-50-1.5k.gif

Scanspeak Discovery 26W/4534G (transition with the Neo 10 with respect to baffle step near 400 Hz).

You can see what I mean by "open-back box" here:
Introducing: Echelon

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
The 8NMB420 isn't so good.

why ?
but I would suggest to look at new 8MB500 instead
based on that it 'appears to have slight more low end SPL

my personal favourite hifi midrange would probably be a 4"
but again, it depends
I would proably go for a compromise and use a 5"
but then, if I wanted higher SPL, a bigger 6" mid might come into play
or if I wanted it to play 'some' bass as well, the 8" could be the next step
and so it goes on and on

but its not 100% clear to me what it is you want
what are your absolute number one priorities ?

the topic is PA midrange....can I ask why ? what is your 'reasoning' ?
(maybe it have been answered, but I havent seen it)

I believe that your room with the window on the side and not much space available behind the speakers calls for a controlled directivity design.
I love how slim speakers placed far away from back and side walls sound but it all changes when you move them away from their ideal position.
IIRC your speakers will have Lab12s on the low end so subs are already build-in :) .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.