Simple Silver Flutes 2 Way - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2013, 10:30 PM   #1
dayvo is offline dayvo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Simple Silver Flutes 2 Way

I built a SET tube amp (a Bottlehead SEX 2.1) about a month ago to use in a headphone rig. It sounds so nice that some high(er) efficiency speakers became a must. Looked around for a fitting design, saw the Decware DM945's, read a review, recognized the drivers, and figured I'd take a stab at an homage to them. Here's my disclaimer: I've never heard or even seen the 945's in the real world. Their cabinetry looks great on the website. If you want beautiful, professionally built stuff, I wouldn't hesitate to give Decware a shot. I just wanted to see (and hear) what I could do on my own.

Madisound was really fast at delivering the Silver Flute 8" 4 ohm woofers, the Hivi RT1C-A tweeters, the 3.9 micro F Clarity Caps (SA), and the binding posts. I grabbed some Home Depot 3/4" MDF and poly-fill NU-Foam from Jo-Ann Fabrics.

Here are a couple of pictures and a rough in-room frequency response chart (no particular absolute db scale on the chart).

They're not broken in yet, but they sound pretty good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (427.2 KB, 592 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0006.jpg (463.2 KB, 563 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0008.jpg (161.7 KB, 541 views)

Last edited by dayvo; 23rd March 2013 at 04:03 AM. Reason: typos
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:07 AM   #2
blue934 is offline blue934  Canada
diyAudio Member

Interesting, I have both of those drivers. Watching and waiting.
David
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:21 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'm using the 8" 4ohm now also............

And I was looking at making exactly what you made, but went in a different direction.

Nice Job !!!!!!!!
Old 23rd March 2013, 01:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks, guys.

The cabinets are based on the Silver Flute recommendation quoted by Madisound - 0.53 cu. ft. with a 2" dia. 3.75" long port. That should put box tuning at about 55 Hz.

The ribbon tweeters are really detailed - lots of sparkle. There is just the single cap for the tweeter crossover and the Flutes run wide open. The drivers integrate quite well and the break-up shown on Silver Flutes' frequency response data sheets seems very benign.

The speakers have run about 10 hours now and the woofers have opened up a lot. Bass sounds much fuller than the frequency plot would imply. I took the measurement in-room about 6 feet in front of the tweeter. I don't think the bass reinforcement from the rear port influenced the measurement as much as you hear it from my normal listening position.

Overall, it's been a reasonably quick and very satisfying little project.
Old 23rd March 2013, 05:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Did you try both polarities on the tweeter? That dip is either the inherent rolloff of the tweeter since it prefers 5kHz+, or the phase cancellation of wrong polarity.

I'd personally be really surprised if the RT1C-A is not distorting as you have it running.

You know what- I might even have those files for those drivers. Let me see what I can work up this weekend....

Later,
Wolf
Old 23rd March 2013, 06:01 AM   #6
blue934 is offline blue934  Canada
diyAudio Member

Wolf, do you think the RT1.3WE might be a better match? It plays a bit lower.
Old 23rd March 2013, 08:50 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Absolutely! You can go a whole octave lower. If you want me to play with both, I have the files for the RT1.3 model too.

Later,
Wolf
Old 23rd March 2013, 02:50 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Wolf. I can try reversing the polarity on the tweeters. The tweeter cross is 1st order, 3 dB down at 8 kHz. I expected a small dip below that, but didn't want to bump up the overall response in the woofer break-up range around 5 kHz.
Old 23rd March 2013, 03:24 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Okay - reversed one tweeter and checked it. That wasn't it, but it confirmed the (asymmetric) crossover frequency of 8 kHz. Going a little be lower (bigger cap) might help, but is likely to cause increased tweeter distortion down low because of the shallow slope and it might also exaggerate the woofer break-up at 4 - 5 kHz.

The woofer does dive like a stone above 5.5 kHz - something like 15 dB / octave.

I don't think I can hear distortion on the tweeter right now, but not sure what to listen for. Keep in mind I've only got 2 watts per channel (but good watts!) and I'm usually only listening at 1/3 volume. There is a pretty extended overlap between the drivers (if you put your ear up close to each one).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0009.jpg (159.5 KB, 425 views)

Last edited by dayvo; 23rd March 2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 23rd March 2013, 03:31 PM   #10
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

The dip at 2500 looks better.

15 liter boxes? We used 13L for the 6.5 SF woofer; getting very nice bass.

Hide this!Advertise here!