Simple Silver Flutes 2 Way - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2013, 02:38 PM   #11
dayvo is offline dayvo  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, O. That's probably because of in-room stuff and my set-up. On the original plot, I had both speakers playing and had the mic hovering out in front. The plot was dancing around a bit. This latest was with just one speaker with the mic about 3 feet in front of the tweeter. Note that the bass rolls off faster in this latest plot - maybe less port information from mic placement and the amp tubes were not warmed up.

Silver Flute recommends 15 L for an f3 of about 60 Hz - that's what's posted on Madisound alongside the description of the drivers. And it matches the dimensions that Decware uses. The bass is actually nice and clear down into the 40's in-room.
Old 23rd March 2013, 06:24 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

You could mount the tweet on a separate baffle, close to the woof, you could slide it back and forth for time alignment....................

Perhaps wrap edges of baffle with foam to catch reflections.

If it is more than +/- 1/4 wavelength at crossover, it would be off.
That's really small as the frequencies get up there.

Norman
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:06 PM   #13
blue934 is offline blue934  Canada
diyAudio Member

Could you post a measurement at your sitting position? I am curious if the large dip at 8khz goes away.
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:49 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Okay. Here's a quick measurement. This is at the listening position on the couch. It was taken with both speakers playing. I think they're sounding reasonably good, so I'm going to listen to them like this for a while before considering any changes. But I'm always willing to hear any advice from you guys.

Here's a link to a review of the real McCoy from Decware: DECWARE DM945 MINI SPEAKER REVIEW

Oops - Posted the wrong plot. See the next post!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0010.jpg (161.7 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0007.jpg (589.1 KB, 247 views)

Last edited by dayvo; 24th March 2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 24th March 2013, 12:06 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Here's the listening position frequency plot.

Honestly, the plots jump all over the place depending on orientation of the mic. This is using AudioTools on my iPad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0011.jpg (158.4 KB, 238 views)
Old 24th March 2013, 08:27 AM   #16
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

Mini Speaker Review: that was interesting - Shredded Cardboard good idea!

What to listen for? You can always find songs that sound good, try music that will challenge them. Vocals! Classical!
The weak link in 2-ways is the middle; as much as I like them, they don't hold up to a set of 3-ways, e.g. once had pair with huge Morel mid-range drivers - lifelike! However, they were huge, and "compact" has other advantages.

btw, you did a nice job on your build.

Last edited by ODougbo; 24th March 2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 24th March 2013, 02:40 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks, O. I steered clear of the cardboard - seemed a questionable choice, though it might provide some diffusion. Went with poly-fil NU Foam batting.

Vocals (male, female - from Linda Ronstadt to the Marriage of Figaro) all sound good to me. Of course, these 55 year old ears have seen some wear and tear. Do you remember the '70's? I remember them as LOUD.

I'll keep listening for a while and see how these do - there's always something to "improve".
Old 25th March 2013, 07:33 AM   #18
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a tendency to "to build a bunch of them", for comparison.
Also very curious about the 8" SF version and what is the maximum size box it will work in. I bet the 6.5" and 8" sizes share the same motor.

NB can you expand what direction you went in?
Old 25th March 2013, 08:14 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

It would be better if you could take time gated response measurements. Looks like the software you're using has an impulse response module that can do that (take the IR measurement, edit out the beginning and everything from the first reflection on, view the FFT). Impulse Response | Studio Six Digital
Old 25th March 2013, 08:44 PM   #20
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Been playing with the smaller SF. For the price, pretty darn musical, but it as a couple of issues I was wondering if the 8 has as well. The biggest is insufficient pole piece venting. It will actually whistle with much over a watt. The smaller one really does not want to work above about 1600 and has really bad breakup issues at 5K to kill.

I was surprised that VAS was half what the spec says, and in Doug's box confirms my measured parameters. Measure them, you may find you are missing out on one of their best features.

Hide this!Advertise here!