Simple Silver Flutes 2 Way

Norm sent me a bunch for a 3.5 or 2.5 way.
I have to say, they should make more home drivers with specs similar these drivers.
High sensitivity, high BL.
Most home woofers, are made to play too low and sacrifice sensitivity.
They are very multipurpose.
Reminds me of my wife's Chrysler Pacifica.
It's half car, half wagon, half minivan, half SUV. Okay at everything, but sucks at everything too.

If you need it too play lower, just buy a sub. Too many reviews like, "great bass for a 6.5 inch woofer." Hey you know what makes great bass? A giant woofer! :rofl:

Your ScanSpeak woofer that you bought because Zaph told you it was the best, isn't going to play midrange too well when the cone is flapping close to Xmax trying to play bass.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! New to the thread. Glad I found it.

I just had recent success building a Bipole MLTL with 3" and a helper tweeter and was contemplating on making a bigger version with a set of the 6.5 in the 4 ohm and using a tweeter to fill in the high end.

Looking at 60" line with a low tuning. It will be a big box but I got the ok from the better half and thats over half the battle.

My question, how low is too low for tuning on these speakers? I have sub for movies but generally leave it off when just listening to music.

Thanks in advance

Ryan I

Hang in there jimmy.

The cone area is small, but part of a 3 way, they should be great crossing to a big or small dome, depending on your preference.

I was going to make a clone of the Gemme Audio Tanto (just 1 cap on the tweet), but needing an 8ohm tweeter. I think I was looking at the Morel cat308, around 90db spl with Fs around 700hz. But I wasn't ready to throw another couple of hundred at it. The tanto uses the 4ohm with the xt19 ($40), but I liked the 8ohm shielded response better.

Crossing at 5khz with a piezo worked well, so long as you could tolerate the narrowing dispersion past 2khz till the piezo hit ya. But it was sitting on 15's rolling 80hz@18db. Not much midbass, bass nice voice and superb ultra highs.

I have the 8" sitting on the floor (crossed at 2khz), and at low volume it has no bass. Turn it up and it is much better (F3 around 100hz). That fletcher munson curve again.

Maybe the 6.5" doubled up as an mtm, should be easy to cross and 8" of cone area.

Or even run it in a small sealed room (like 8' x 12').

Some can run it as a 2-way, I couldn't.

I see someone has a quote on audioasylum, goes something like this. "6.5" is a midrange, not a woofer." lol.

Norman

Your ScanSpeak woofer that you bought because Zaph told you it was the best, isn't going to play midrange too well when the cone is flapping close to Xmax trying to play bass.

Oops, that sounded rude. Love you Zaph :hug: :rofl:

Best purchase I ever made, Jon (Norm) :D Thanks buddy.

I don't know if I have time to build speakers, but yeah would be awesome in a 2.5-way too maybe (partial Tanto clone). I just don't know if I have time to build enclosures, so I'm stuck trying to use old enclosures I have to find suitable size drivers for.

Great looking speaker BTW, Danyo.

you welcome.

my 8" 2 way just wasn't happy trying to crank out P.Y.T. from the Glee volume 5.

Back in goes my monster 2 way !!!!!!!!!

Now I'm listening to Massive attack, Mezannine.
Nice.

Till I get moody and want to rehook the 8" plus round horn.

Anyone here want my empty plywood boxes I had my 6.5" silver flutes in ?
To my eyes and my tape measure, they seem to be between 1/2" and 3/4", weird.
They have rounded edges and are covered in black duraliner, binding post for each box. They are not as bright as in the picture.
8" deep x 12" wide x 19" tall.
PM me, if not, I'll put them up in swap meet Monday morning.

I've been tossing around maybe an super 6.5" cast frame or FF165wk's for them for a bedroom system.

Norman

After some upgrades to measurement gear (and little idea how to get the most out of it), here's an update to the frequency response measurement on the speakers documented in my first post in this thread.

The measurement was taken about 36 inches in front of the right speaker with only that speaker driven. The measurement was still done indoors.

The set-up used REW software (version 5) running on a MacBook Pro using an M-Audio MobilePre for input and output. The output goes to a Topping TP32 amp and the microphone is a Dayton EMM-6.

The mic is calibrated but the SPL scale through the soundcard is not.

Attachments

• silver flutes fr.jpg
    silver flutes fr.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 401
I built a SET tube amp (a Bottlehead SEX 2.1) about a month ago to use in a headphone rig. It sounds so nice that some high(er) efficiency speakers became a must. Looked around for a fitting design, saw the Decware DM945's, read a review, recognized the drivers, and figured I'd take a stab at an homage to them. Here's my disclaimer: I've never heard or even seen the 945's in the real world. Their cabinetry looks great on the website. If you want beautiful, professionally built stuff, I wouldn't hesitate to give Decware a shot. I just wanted to see (and hear) what I could do on my own.

Madisound was really fast at delivering the Silver Flute 8" 4 ohm woofers, the Hivi RT1C-A tweeters, the 3.9 micro F Clarity Caps (SA), and the binding posts. I grabbed some Home Depot 3/4" MDF and poly-fill NU-Foam from Jo-Ann Fabrics.

Here are a couple of pictures and a rough in-room frequency response chart (no particular absolute db scale on the chart).

They're not broken in yet, but they sound pretty good. :)

Did you wire the Cap on the tweeter side or the driver side?

SilverHiViCap.jpg

Blowing some dust off this old thread..

Dayvo, I followed your excellent lead on this build. For similar reason as you, I recently built a small, 1.5 watt tube amp and more efficient speakers became necessary. I first retrofitted a pair of TABAQ's with the Faital 4FE35 but discovered they still werent efficient enough. Enter, these Decware clones. I opted for the Clarity CSA cap in the tweeter circuit and lined the back wall and one side-wall with a total of 4 oz of cotton stuffing in each enclosure.

I am pleased with how the figured, curly walnut veneer and curly edgebanding over birchply came out.

These are definitely keepers. they sound balanced and the detail makes instrumental music sound wonderful. At the 94db efficiency, they are enough for near-field listening with this small amp but no more.

Pete

Attachments

• Silver HiViSide.jpg
    Silver HiViSide.jpg
    1,015.5 KB · Views: 196
  • SilverHiViStuffing.jpg
    SilverHiViStuffing.jpg
    700.2 KB · Views: 163
I know this is an old thread but I am looking to build a pair of these DM945 clones. My question is do you think the 8 ohm version of the SF 8" would have a similar response? I do see the sensitivity is 1.7db lower vs the 4 ohm version. My AVR says 8ohm (Pioneer vsx523), should I even be worried about it? Has any one done an impedance chart on the 945?

Some one build silver flutes and stated (I'm paraphrasing):
"Sometimes I wonder why I build speakers with ScanSpeak drivers"

Yep, they are very good on paper, high SPL, low Qts, high BL. If I remember correctly.
Some say the 8 inch bass sounds slow, maybe.
Maybe you miss some fine details, I'm not sure.

But they fit in a small vented box and have this: high SPL, low Qts, high BL.
How many home audio woofers can you say that about?
And they look great and feel well built.

I pulled my 3, 8" 8ohm SF test boxes last summer and connected to a AVR in the shop. The bass was fine, my issue was the mid range and put them back on the rack recently until I find the right tweeter. Box size, I used Madisounds recommendation: 0.5 cubic foot with 2" diameter vent by 4" long for an f3 of 63Hz. Btw they still have xo designs in their support library.