Hybrid Horn almost full range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
^ I had another project come up, someone wanted a triple 18" box, had to put my personal project on hold. I will be uploading more pictures this weekend. The two 12's will be in this weekend, along with the horns for the compression drivers. I also ordered the things I needed to make the crossover, I'll be updating about that in the near future too.

I really need to find a better image host.
I've been using picasa for well over five years.
But a couple of times they've tried to force me into a Google Plus account.
I was able to fend them off, but I could totally see a scenario where Google moves all my content to Google Plus, and mangles ever last URL in the process.

Which would ruin all those thousands of posts I've painstakingly made on diyaudio. Literally thousands of hours of my life.

I cant find all the images I had uploaded. I think I had them temporarily saved to upload. I wasn't planing on imageshack to become crap, but I still have the simulation files though. Also I should add that I am working on a new system to replace those two mid tops. I took them to about a dozen events, not to mention the countless times playing with them at home. They held up very well being pushed at 50v per channel (4 Ohm). The MCM 12" and B-52 compression driver (CDX1-1747 – The Celestion branded one) sounded nice together, but there was something wrong in the mid-range. After a few measurements I found that there was a 10dB dip at 1500Hz and a 10dB peak at 500Hz. Looking back at the simulations I noticed I didn't add the throat chamber. After updating the model the software reflected this flaw.

Old response: - - - - - - Updated response:
Midtop old.jpg Midtop new.jpg

To fix this I used these sealed 4" speakers which cut it close since they fall off at 1000Hz. With the two 4" speakers added and all new crossovers installed, the mid-tops needed nearly no equalization. (The response of the 4" speakers has been increased on the graph by 6dB to represent the impedance differences.)
midtop crossover.jpg

Now the main issue with these mid-tops is that they weigh about 135lb (and are rather clunky.) Plus the events using these speakers will now target larger crowds of 200 people or more. I would need to build two more of these mid tops, but that will be a pain since these were difficult to build the and hassle from the botched response isn't worth it. I am looking to build a modular system so it will be easier to transport and setup. The subwoofer in the image below is referring to the SID-r11 which the design and build can be found here. The midrange boxes use 6.5" speakers from MCM. I used four of them before and they perform very well. The compression drivers box would use two JBL (Selenium) D220-ti's. The system would be able to produce 133dB per stack from 25Hz-21kHz +/- 3dB. (I'm probably going to make a new post about this soon.)
speaker setup.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.