Which enclosure for best bass performance? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2013, 02:44 AM   #1
SpirosZ is offline SpirosZ  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default Which enclosure for best bass performance?

I am still in the process of finding the right design for my HT using high efficiency pro drivers.
So far some of my favorites are the SEOS waveguide designs.

I am thinking about building one using the Eminence Delta 12lfa woofer but I want to get the best possible bass performance out of that driver.
Size in not a problem as long as it is not more than 45cm wide and 45cm deep (more or less).
I don't have a problem with height but I would like a design that brings the drivers at ear level when sitting.
Pi speakers uses that driver in a BR enclosure aound 105-110lt in the Three Pi speaker, Eminence recommends a BR enclosure between 25.5-102lt or a sealed at 19.8-28lt and WinISD recommends 218lt BR tuned @ 32Hz.
WinISD also gives me nice looking curves with boxes between 110-180lt tuned between 32-35Hz.
I did a few calculations for a TQWT enclosure and came up with boxes between 133-185lt
Most of them came out too deep but the smaller one looks fine with internal dimensions 86.8X38.3X41.6 (cm H/W/D) for an internal volume of 133.3lt and an f3 of 38.4Hz

If I model a box of 133.3 lt in WinISD tuned around 32Hz (using the same size port as the one in the TQWT enclosure) it looks nice with a sight downslping curve and an f3 at 34Hz and f6 at 27Hz (better than the f3 38.4 of the TQWT). .
The TQWT box is actualy just a BR box with a bracing that makes it act as a quarter wave tapped tube. What am I supposed to expect from it?
Will the TQWT design have any benefits compare to the simple BR box?
I cannot sim the response of the TQWT with WinISD and Hornresp is too complicated for me to even try a different design (it may be able to simulate the TQWT but I have no idea how).

Am I on the right track? Is there a better option that I haven't think of?

Last edited by SpirosZ; 21st March 2013 at 02:48 AM.
Old 21st March 2013, 07:57 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Is it possible to angle the front baffle (for toe-in) and not lose the TQWT loading?
Old 21st March 2013, 08:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Fully sealed enclosures always sound better.
Old 21st March 2013, 09:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprepairman View Post
All things being equal, I agree.
Old 21st March 2013, 10:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Tighter most of the times for sure but extension suffers greatly and I plan to use it without a sub.
Old 21st March 2013, 10:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Not for my speakers, I first tried a closed cabinet, but didn't have enough low bass.
So I made a bass reflex with a downfiring port and I got all the bass that I wanted
I much prefer a bass reflex that goes down to 30hz than closed that rolls off much sooner (If the same drivers are used)
Old 22nd March 2013, 04:07 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Don't forget about transmission line enclosures.
Old 22nd March 2013, 05:41 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Quote:
Not really, the Eminence 12 Delta LFA has an efficiency bandwidth product of exactly 100 ....Putting it smack middle into the porting camp.
Running this driver in a sealed enclosure would be like having a race-horse pulling a buckboard.

__________________________________________________ ___Rick........
Old 22nd March 2013, 09:38 AM   #9
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Low Qts woofer in horn enclosure.
High Qts woofer in sealed enclosure.

Low Qts woofers tend to have weak bass, but when done properly/successfully, the quality of the bass is usually better than high Qts woofers.

Horn is the best for apparent reason (talking about single bass driver here): When you try to get the lowest octave (the bass) from a woofer, you loose the high octave (midrange) quality. Horn can restore the midrange quality while reaching the lowest octave (can be through big horn which is best, or through transmission line)
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:05 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
When you try to get the lowest octave (the bass) from a woofer, you loose the high octave (midrange) quality.
How is that happening?

Hide this!Advertise here!