Lessor known brands - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2013, 07:25 PM   #1
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Lessor known brands

There are lots of speaker driver brands out there we just don't see mentioned. Some look very good, some not so. Thought I'd stir up the pot a little to see if anyone has build experience

We know the big players carried by PE and Madisound.

LPG, LCY, TransLab, Wavecor, Hiquphon, ATC I know there are others.
Old 17th March 2013, 08:11 PM   #2
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

I found a bunch of different names on speakerbits from Australia. Some of their drivers though might be brands names but ones you can't find easily for whatever reason.

I've read at least some comments on French brands like Audax, Davis Acoustics and Triangle.

For whatever reason, HiVi seems like one those names that may be pretty good but not often mentioned as well as Wavecor.
Old 17th March 2013, 08:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

all depends on locale. Until i joined here, davis, audiophon, hivi, ciare, usher and others were unknown to me. Plenty of audax, celestion, fane, fostex, visaton, mission, JBL, jordan etc.
Old 18th March 2013, 04:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
There are lots of speaker driver brands out there we just don't see mentioned. Some look very good, some not so. Thought I'd stir up the pot a little to see if anyone has build experience

We know the big players carried by PE and Madisound.

LPG, LCY, TransLab, Wavecor, Hiquphon, ATC I know there are others.
LPG seems to be slowly dying but some models are still in stock some places. They are of the same company as Eton, just not as spendy.

LCY- Wht I've listened to I've liked, but it seems they are a little spendy for similar performance to some cheaper true-ribbons. They are more utilized in OEM commercial stuff than in DIY.

TLabs stuff has one model available most places, but they are immaculate in terms of sound. absolutely crystal clear, and price is worth it. I've only heard the N26C.

Wavecor seems to be a great set of drivers with low HD, but they are a company of only about 3-5 years as I gather. Limited in terms of distributors, as I only know of 3. Solen, Meniscus, and one other place I've never dealt with.

I've never heard any ATC drivers, but that midrange is something I've always drooled over.

Later,
Wolf

Hide this!Advertise here!