System Pictures & Description

Re: New speakers

Frankx said:
This is my new 4 ways creature: tw accuton c12, mid accuton c79, mw beyma 8" 8lw30, woofer eminence 15" omegapro.
C79 and beyma in closed enclosure, omegapro in aperiodic vent. The accutons in two enclosures/one box; same for the woofers. Passive crossover for accutons and beyma, active for the omegapro (behringer ultradrive).
Sound? attack, attack, attack.

Great looking speaker project, but shame on the speaker placement. They should be clear off the back wall if you want real depth reproduction ;-)

The woofer reach the 40 Hz but don't go deeper. I have used a pro woofer with quite high Fr because I was looking for "chest pounding" and very articulate bass more than very deep bass.
With just one port I cannot hear any problem but consider that I am not used to listen at very high volume and my room is small. If you need high power output use two ports.

My things

Hi, some info on my system.

TT - scheu diy and VPI 12.5 with denon 103
CD - wadia 850
pre - diy 5842a with phono section cornet octal (hagerman)
amp - diy 300b
speaker - OB lowther with beyma supertweeter and Altec OB sub (with seperate sub amp)

cable - MIT speaker and silver diy interlinks

power - diy filter and XLO cables

Sounds quite good

Current projects are Pass Aleph P, diy watt puppy (jbl 2203a as sub), gainclone and would like to build big tube amp for driving watt puppy

To little time alas!!

Attachments

• diy1.jpg
    diy1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 4,018
In the spirit of sharing & partly cause I feel guilty about hardly ever posting I have taken some pictures of my system.

It's now starting to become more DIY items that bought items. Like some others here I have a wife so WAF is always an issue so my system is in a rustic looking cabinet that the wife likes.

Buying this allowed me to negotiate to have the TT on top as a compromise. The base for the TT is made from a upside down dinner tray and has leveling adjustment. The TT is a Pro-Ject Debut II with a modified Rega RB250 Arm and a 20mm glass plater. CD player is a marantz CD94 with the OS disabled (Fantastic Mod). The power amp has 4 channels each with there own rectifiers and PSU caps (hopefull increased to 6 soon) The whole lot powered by 2 350 VA transformers. The Power conditioner is a Aluminium Belkin AV6 it which is a bargin at £30.

My current speakers are Mission 773e which you will see are not really in a optimum position. However the arm chairs and the TV cabinet are going soon and will be replaced by a wall mounted LCD screen.

When this happens there will be room for my speakers which I'm currently building (See last pic).

These are 3 way, closed box (approx 100L), fully active (hence the power amp soon to be 6 channel). All drivers are Seas units, Tweeters 25TNF, Mids MP14RC with home made phase plugs, Woofers P25REXDD which go down to 42Hz in a closed box. These will also have phase plugs soon.

Initial listening tests seem pretty good but the room they're in is too small and the FR is all other the place.

The insides are lined with expanding foam and the whole cabinet is covered in layers of roofing felt and then PVA covered canvas. The baffle has 3 layers of soft fleece material. When I finally find some they will be covered in leather look vinyl.

So far they have taken nearly 2 years on and off. It took a whole summer just to make the cabinets. They have tapered back and sides and the sides are curved. This was done using laminations of 3mm hardboard with PVA glue between layers.

I need to get these down stairs into the larger room for a better test but now I have put the drivers in I can't carry them downstairs (any offers?).

Attachments

• 05140001.jpg
    05140001.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 3,653
Hey guys I am new here so hello. Here is my first project, they are the 4 inch bamboo drivers from Tang Band. There are 8 per side running full range in an open baffle. They will be going into a ported cabinet very soon, I just wanted to see how they sounded. Let me what you guys think. Oh yeah and they are being powered by a Yamaha RX-V3200 and I usually listen to records on my Sony PS-LX55 turntable with a Shure cartridge.

Saab man Dan

Attachments

• la.jpg
    la.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 3,101