System Pictures & Description

my trifonic

let me show you trifonic by marble.

Attachments

• trifonic.jpg
    trifonic.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 3,616
Quick upgrade for a buddy.

A single Shiva in a ~2.5 cu.ft. sealed enclosure. Made for a certain space in a smallish apartment.

If the amp looks salvaged from a previous p.o.s. Sony 8" 75 watt 'subwoofer' that couldn't do much of anything... well because thats what it is hehe. Soon to be upgraded. And of course many coats of black.

My current system April 2005

Now that I've finally completed Delta, here's my current A/V setup :

Delta main speakers
Vespa surround speakers
No centre or surround speakers required.

Metaxas Ikarus Integrated amplifier driving main speakers
Marantz Sr-18 A/V receiver driving rears.
Sony XA5ES CD player
Marantz DV4300 DVD player
JVC DR-M10 DVD recorder

www.gattiweb.com

Attachments

• system_april2005sm.jpg
    system_april2005sm.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 3,709
Jye said:
Hey Drew,

They was no toilet seat used on my sub....what pic are you looking at to get that impression?

Jye

The suggestion of toilet humor sent me on a search. I assume drew meant this picture. It's an optical illusion caused by camera angle.

BTW: that is a beautiful speaker and a very nice site. It's always interesting to see construction photos.

Hen Dentures Design Group

Attachments

• 28march05_bracing.jpeg
    28march05_bracing.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 3,676
"Hot rodded" Minipod

Hi Dave,
I guess you didn't quite catch it from the title's of my post's. Those ARE Minipods (Blueroom) modified (Hot-rodded if you will :) )
with a Vifa XT-25 up front. The original tweeter is mounted at the rear in a PVC tube + Bondo. I used damping sheet around the front tweeter (rather than bondo smoothened edges) to make the tweeter removable (non-permanent). It was completely active. I actually used a Chase RLC remote preamp to vary the volume of the rear tweeter (independent of the fronts) dependent upon what type of music I was listening to. I haven't used them in years. But they will probably end up in my spare bedroom eventually.

Cheers

AJ

Hi Simon,

I don't recall what they sounded like before the mods, since the sole purpose of buying them was for the unique cabinets. The drive units are not state of the art by any means, but are not junk either. The tweeter actually measured ruler flat (on axis), as flat if not flatter than the XT! Modified they actually sounded pretty good. I started with a D25AG35 back in '99, then changed to the XT as soon as it was available for DIY. On good recordings they would essentialy "disappear" the way a good speaker should. The XT-25 has a unique sound (if you have ever heard it) - very clear/clean, etc. There is a reason why it's used in so many designs. It's response plummets off-axis however. The rear tweeter was an attempt to even the power response, as well as add just a little "sparkle" to the high end. Placement out into the room was a must. But that forced me to use a higher XO to my sub than I would have preffered, since even though it has decent bass output, it's still a 5" driver. If you can pick up a pair in England for cheap, it might make for a fun project. Unfortunately that was my last "box". There's no going back now after these :D

Attachments

• orion hybrid 1.jpg
    orion hybrid 1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 3,865