System Pictures & Description

I will keep my 12×12" GPA's for bass duty. Very good sound from 30-200 hz.
Double GPA 12" for 200-1khz, black JMLC400 for the TAD2001 up to 9-10k and a T500 on top.
I think that's a good plan. And of course, a different color ;p

The Jantzen 8" and Eminence 15 beta can go up to the livingroom followed by a AMT l have in stock.
Family speakers ;)

Last edited:
I used black satin spray paint followed by a light coat of a textured "stone" style spray paint. I've been playing with the stone paints for a while and learned some lessons:

It works best to have a complete base colour already. The stone paint is basically just specks of materials. It cannot be relied on to supply coverage without really overdoing the texture. It works best, IMO, as an accent coat on an otherwise finished product.

As well, definitely do a test spray before going on a finished speaker, each can sprays a bit different and its easy to over do. It's almost best to imagine you are "throwing" the material onto the speaker, big sweeping movements with quick little bursts of the valve. Especially if you only want an accent.

After the stone paint I covered with a couple of coats of spray on polyurethane. This is important because the textured paint will collect dust and dirt easily and will not wipe clean otherwise.

Good advice. I found the black needs a pre-finish, but recently used the tan on some stands in bare pine and it was really nice on it's own. Also using Rustoleum bed liner on cabinets. Nice matte finish and light texture.

Great thread! I have a list of speakers I rotate through, but I am using these Holt Hill Audio Cionnsaile Monitors on matching stands at the moment. Connected to a restored Bogen DB230A integrated from 1959. Source is a Pioneer DPR-609 CD Recorder that I also use as a DAC, as well as a Bluesound Node. Turntable is usually a Revox B790, but I have it out of rotation right now to fix the dust cover.

27099328059_e1d72af6d4_b.jpg

Hello and a happy new year to you all,
In december 2017, in my holidays i just finished my speakers, and forgot to post. Here are some pics with the finished rubas, bass, cables and filters.
I added a burned wood effect on the sides of each ruban and aded some handles. Those speaker cables are 6*2.5mm wires twisted two by two, then braided and have 3m long, and the + and - are holded together by wooden supports at 10cm distance from each other. This may be overkill but i noticed that cables do affect the sound abit..
The filters are basically butterworth but fine tuned to eliminate the peak at 220hz (crossing point).
My version of rubans are almost fullrange and can go from 150hz to above 23khz (my soundcard cannot do more) have 50cm tall membrane and are almost 360 degree dispersion at 8ohm and aprox 95db each at 100w. The verticall dispersion is poor but can be improved with an easy trick (work in progress).
The bass cabinet is an infinte baffle type with 95db 15inch bass 8ohm at 100w each(down firing--i did take into account all the aspects needed for this) and goes bellow 40hz with ease.
The amplifier is my modified version of Hiraga super classe a rated at max 38w sinus at 8ohms.
Cheers
Sergiu

Attachments

• image-3.jpg
    image-3.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 2,618
  • image-6.jpg
    image-6.jpg
    737.9 KB · Views: 2,529
  • image-5.jpg
    image-5.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 2,428
  • image-4.jpg
    image-4.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 2,363
  • image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 2,276
Last edited:
Those look nice! I’d like to know more of what a "Rubas" speaker is? You say it like it's a copy of some version of speaker. I did a quick search but nothing really came up

Rubanoide, Janus 50, Linaeum ls1000 (call it whatever you want) and my ruban are actually derived from a german speaker from between the ww1-ww2 period. In that period the first type of this speaker was invented and patented i think, and had 3 feet if i remember good. The first ruban had a classic magnet with a classic type round coil. The rest have a longitudinall flat coil imersed in a forcefull neodim magnetic field and other improvements.
My ruban is derived partially from janus (only the height) and partially from linaeum patents (inspiration for the cuts, hinges, and a ton of other aspects that i researched and tested in 'a diy ribon of a different kind' from planars and magnetics forum) and some small adds from myself (the antihumidity paper treatment, improvements for a balanced horizontal dispersion and high frecvency improvement). These aspects are just a small part of the work, the other huge part has been researched and posted by my friend Wrine who is still working silently on a flat almost fullrange ruban. :)
Basically this speaker is a dipole speaker where the membrane has no yellow spider its very light and can almost sustain itself centered in the magnetic field (it has only two thin elasticson top and botton, weak tensionned, to keep things safe and in place) and the front and back of the membrane if summed can make an almost 15" almost fullrange speaker.
Bellow is the old article:

RollLS1.jpg

Last edited:
Did you make a thread on your build?

Hi Bob, no i didnt. After reading allot about this speaker's potential and very good reviews i have decided to take a shot and started my research here A DIY Ribbon Speaker of a different Kind among the other colleagues.
There are sufficient ideeas tested and materials. If you want to try it please post your research and results so that we can learn new interesting things. ;)
Cheers