System Pictures & Description

LooksOK.jpg

My system just completed is an active three-way with quad "Linkwitz Transformed" Morel 12 inch sealed subs, dual Hypex DS 8.0 plate amps each "unbridged" to the individual drivers and ESP tweeter/midrange amps on Scan-Speak mids and tweeters. An analogue crossover (also ESP inside) and a W4S DAC-2 are up front. It seems to crank it OK. :eek:

Details: Audio Projects Active 3-way Speaker System

my first DIY spkrs. starting off easy with madisound/zaph L18 system in stock MD14bp cabinets.

6558087845_2745612614_b.jpg

6558089649_af9bf0c311_b.jpg

6558090345_d5160990d7_b.jpg

6560569665_2621546c22_b.jpg

crossover is active, using behringer dcx-2496. trying to map the zaph text and graphs to what the DCX can do. I have some results that I like but no idea if they are 'correct' or not ;)

sound is good, at any rate. bi-amping with a clean XO really is a huge improvement over passive XO's.

Greetings, my fellow audiophiles. "Finished" those today. I am very sadisfied with the sound.

Mid-Bass : Audes 40W65-8 6½"
Mid-Range and highs : CSS FR125SR 4.5"

Sorry for the picture quality. Its made with Nokias phone cam. Css wount stay like that. I have couple ideas, will try them soon.

Thanks for watching.

Attachments

• Pilt0039.jpg
    Pilt0039.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 457
my little system for the family room. Toshiba LED , Yamaha HS80M Active Speakers(with the subs, not in the picture) , mytek DAC, Musical Fidelity XCAN v2(modded).

Sony Universal Player/Blu Ray/Xbox.

The XBOX and the Sony Blu Ray go into the digital inputs on the DAC, the DAC is output to the XCAN V2,(via XLR with pin 2 floating) and the XCAN outputs to the active speakers via RCA>>XLR...

I can listen to two pairs of headphones(one on the mytek, one xcan) for when the stepson and i play xbox and dont want to disturb mama)

the Yamahas are quite nice, flat enough and with the subs plenty of oomph for listening and SFX. It is a nice compliment to my other two systems, the main one and the studio one.

edit there is now a modified Squeezebox touch in that system..(and the main one)

2011-12-24145815.jpg

Main Sys in the basement..(it is done proper now, looks a bit dodgy in the snaps)

Mastersound Due Venti/Rega p2(now Sota Sapphire with Lyra Kleos) Magnum Dynalab FT-101 ,bespoke valve phono amp

20100911_01.jpg

20100911_15.jpg

sorry for the ghetto fabulous surroundings..new house now with a proper hifi room.

Last edited:
Just finished the main speakers for my first diy system. Most of the work is done but I have yet to receive the amps/active crossover I ordered, buy a better subwoofer, and add a tweeter array to add a bit of high end sparkle (not absolutely required).

I started out my electronics habit with lighting so I used some LEDs on the back of the speakers with some opaque plexiglass. It looks pretty awesome, it was hard to get a picture because the light saturates the camera. Eventually I will have a LED driver that is sensitive to the music for some pretty cool effects.

The drivers are the Tang Band W3-881SI buyout speakers, there is nothing in the box except wire and the drivers, this way I can can deal with crossing them over or whatever offboard and have more flexibility.

They are covered in some really nice vinyl that looks like leather. Its dark brown with maroon accents.

The wire shown I made with a bunch of Cat 5 plenum cable, techflex, and some wood dowels. It looks really cool and as far as I can tell sounds great

I'm really happy with how this has turned out, especially for my first project (thank god with ~$400 invested). They speakers sound just as good as they look, they blow my old pioneer speakers out of the water. I can't wait till I get my amp so I wont have that annoying 60Hz buzz from my low quality receiver.

Attachments

• IMAG0322.jpg
    IMAG0322.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 3,603
  • IMAG0330.jpg
    IMAG0330.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 403
  • IMAG0328.jpg
    IMAG0328.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 426
  • IMAG0321.jpg
    IMAG0321.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 2,750
  • IMAG0331.jpg
    IMAG0331.jpg
    550.7 KB · Views: 2,940
  • IMAG0339.jpg
    IMAG0339.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 3,117
  • IMAG0325.jpg
    IMAG0325.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 3,348
  • IMAG0267.jpg
    IMAG0267.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 369
  • IMAG0268.jpg
    IMAG0268.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 283
Be sure to post pics of your speakers over at the full range forum.
\

I thought about it but I thought that considering that the final system will actually be three way it belonged here, sorry if I was wrong.

Cool to see something a bit different and that blue is wicked!

Thanks! I don't have the driver yet so I just hardwired the blue to on, its actually RGB though :)

system update after 5 years.

Dear All,

I have recently update my original sabre mk1 to a new variety called the
"Triple 8".
It now runs a seas 8 inch coated paper midwoofer and 2x8 inch coated paper woofers from accusound and a seas aluminium tweeter.
I have an Identical pair (not pictured) (Sabre Mk2) which is in the process of getting the wood veneer changed and they run a Vifa xt25 tweeter, a vifa pl18 mid woofer and 2x8 inch Audax woofers.
Both have external series crossovers tweaked and modified via listening tests only. I do not have any design software or measurements to analyse.
Here is a link to the original builds.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/87776-finished-speakers.html

hope you like what i have done

Attachments

• home system 2012,2.jpg
    home system 2012,2.jpg
    766.6 KB · Views: 721
  • system 2012.jpg
    system 2012.jpg
    760.2 KB · Views: 925
  • jons sabre mk1.jpg
    jons sabre mk1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 739
MY system comprises of the following-

2 channel set up
Musical Fidelity a3cr pre amp
Musical Fidelity a3cr power amp
Modified Cambridge c540 v2- new clock capacitors and Burson discrete output op amps.
Modified marants CD50-new clock, capacitors discrete op amps and Non oversampling tweek
Modified Marantz CD 5000- discrete op amp, film capacitors
modified Rotel RCD991AE- new clock, discrete op amps and Jantzen silver capacitors
Sony cdp308esd- new clock, discrete opamps and film caps.
Audio GD NFB-3.1 DAC
Pioneer dv989-avi-s- dvd player, used as a transport.

Home theatre set up.
Sony bdp 550 Blu-ray player
Pioneer lx 52 av home theatre amplifier.
4 x 2 way 8 inch peerless woofer and Vifa d27 tweeters( for home theatre)2 front 2 rear
Centre speaker with 2x HI-VI d6.8 mid woofers and a Vifa XT25 tweeter.
rear surround effect speaker. 2x seas 5 inch aluminium woofers in an old B&W cc6 cabinet and tweeter

all speakers run series crossovers.

Dear All,

I have recently update my original sabre mk1 to a new variety called the
"Triple 8".
It now runs a seas 8 inch coated paper midwoofer and 2x8 inch coated paper woofers from accusound and a seas aluminium tweeter.
I have an Identical pair (not pictured) (Sabre Mk2) which is in the process of getting the wood veneer changed and they run a Vifa xt25 tweeter, a vifa pl18 mid woofer and 2x8 inch Audax woofers.
Both have external series crossovers tweaked and modified via listening tests only. I do not have any design software or measurements to analyse.
Here is a link to the original builds.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/87776-finished-speakers.html

hope you like what i have done

this is the vaudax with new wood veneer as described above.

Attachments

• triple 8 and vaudax.jpg
    triple 8 and vaudax.jpg
    661.5 KB · Views: 804
Here is the recent project I've done with AM team. This time we experimented a bit with HiVi Swans drivers. The cabinet was inspired by the design of mark 21 by troels, made using mahony wood.
It is a 3 way system, using twin woofer for power efficiency to drive this speaker.
Tweeter: Vifa XT19TD00-04 3/4" Ring Radiator
Midrange: HiVi Swan M5A, 5" Alloy Cone
Woofer: 2 x HiVi Swan M6A, 7" Alloy Cone

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.