System Pictures & Description

Previously I made up some simple single driver monitors using the CSS FR125s driver and plans on Planet10s webpage. The drivers showed some promise so I ordered another pair intending to build the bipolar MLTL floorstander. During that time I also experimented running with and without a BSC filter in the monitor.

During that extended experimenting time I got a better feel for the drivers and how they sounded in my listening room. It was also during that time that two things happened. First, I got better at soldering and reading crossover diagrams from the BSC experiments. Second, I kept wondering how a tweeter would/could compliment the drivers. So a pair of Vifa DX25TG tweeters from my next project got called to active duty and the CSS/Vifa MTM came to life.

I made up some nice oak cabinets with a removeable MDF baffle and an external crossover mounted on the backpanel. This whole thing is an experiment, and my 2nd DIY speaker attempt, so interchangeable baffles and easy crossover component access was a priority.

I crossed in the tweeter fairly high, 4k for starters. I don't want to mess with much of what the FR125 has going for it in the mid and upper midrange. They sounded good enough to try in my main two channel system and I am surprised at how well they compare to my much more expensive towers. Good vinyl through them is, well, good ;)

After I figure out how to measure them and better understand their sound I'll clean things up with a nice hardwood baffle and mount the finished crossover inside.

Only other current image is attached.

Constructive tips and pointers are welcome....

Attachments

• img_0564.jpg
    img_0564.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 5,085
SimontY,

Thanks for the nice comments.

After spending more time with the small single driver monitors in my room and system, I thought they lacked a little in output and needed a bit more more upper treble energy. Nearfield listening helped here, and it was an addicting sound. That arrangement in my not quite dedicated room caused some WAF issues.

So I wanted to keep the same sonics, just get more of it with a little extra sparkle. Having the pair of Vifa tweeters on hand I decided to plug them in and have a go.

I chose 4k as a crossover starting point after a little research, a quick look at the driver data and some freeware crossover tools. I'd like to say it was precisely arrived at, but, I'm not that smart in crossover design....yet. Suggestions are welcome in optimizing this aspect of the design.

I see some CSS drivers crossed over to Audax tweeters and their own ribbon tweeter, just not sure at what point and if they are the WR or FR drivers. I am open to suggestions here too :D

D_Dubya said:
SimontY,

Thanks for the nice comments.

After spending more time with the small single driver monitors in my room and system, I thought they lacked a little in output and needed a bit more more upper treble energy. Nearfield listening helped here, and it was an addicting sound. That arrangement in my not quite dedicated room caused some WAF issues.

So I wanted to keep the same sonics, just get more of it with a little extra sparkle. Having the pair of Vifa tweeters on hand I decided to plug them in and have a go.

I chose 4k as a crossover starting point after a little research, a quick look at the driver data and some freeware crossover tools. I'd like to say it was precisely arrived at, but, I'm not that smart in crossover design....yet. Suggestions are welcome in optimizing this aspect of the design.

I see some CSS drivers crossed over to Audax tweeters and their own ribbon tweeter, just not sure at what point and if they are the WR or FR drivers. I am open to suggestions here too :D

SimontY,
The difference between the WR 125 and the FR 125 start pretty much from 14 KHz on up. Even on a driver that small, the treble beaming will still start much earlier than that. Quite often, people will cross over a driver at the point that the 45 degree off-axis of the midwoofer starts rolling off. If you decide to use a tweeter, and there are good reasons why you might want to, use a 1st order crossover to see if that's going to work for you. At my age I can't hear much of anything that high and I'm not worried about, nor am I a big fan of wide disbursion, so I probably wouldn't bother. I would, if I was going to use these in a 2-way, not cross them under 4kHz as has already been suggested although I don't care for B&W speakers.

Best Regards,
TerryO

They are 1016 piezo's.I know I know,but they sound great in bunches.I run about 300 watts each to them for parties and they don't sweat it.I eq down a little bit from 10 to 20K as they are alittle bright.Maybe now I'll start finishing fireplace mantle.I run 2-Tuba36's for low end and the rocks keep falling off.

Attachments

• wayne's speakers 001.jpg
    wayne's speakers 001.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 4,570
shawn1972 said:
Sorry, more time now.The mids are the $10 Vifa's from Madisound on sale.The total cost was $480 for the set including everything.the Tuba 36's were another $400 using 2- Shiva-x subs.Total $880 and sound fantastic.

Shawn,

How do the Shiva-Xs perform? I've used the original Avatar/Audire Audio subs (including Shiva #1) in Subs and found them to be very good. The new "X' version is just that much better if everything claimed for them is true. I've seen the drivers 1st hand, but have never seen nor heard them in use.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Bose(o) said:
Shiva-X??? Who is selling this? I thought Adire was a gonner.

Gone, but not forgotten. Kevin Haskins of diyCable/ Exodus Audio has brought out a new Shiva that is an improved version. He also has the Tempest-X and Malestrom-X Subs that are likewise updated and improved versions of the originals.

Try: www.diycable.com and click on the logo when it comes up.

Best Regards,
TerryO

shawn1972 said:
Yes,diycable.com. they had them sent out same day fast as hell.EXCELLENT SUBWOOFER!!!! Can I say anymore.They aren't the best specs for Fitzmaurice Tuba but DAMN.Great build quality.Hit mid 130's on spl meter(basic) in room with 2.

Shawn,
With 4 Tuba's you could probably convert your listening room into an atrium very quickly.

The original Shiva was a pretty good driver, but the Exodus version is a lot nicer build with XBL2, vented spider, cast frame and those wonderful wire terminals. If they polished the basket, I'd probably install them in a display case instead of a Sub
;)

Best Regards,
TerryO

You ain't kiddin'.They are pretty.BUT sound is what I wanted.The fireplace is exactly 22.3' away and rocks are shakin'.Now this IS a problem and I think I will glue them in place.Got more work tonight installing a system in a guy's car.No disrespect to auto guy's but dumb question I got again.Can I get 150db for under $1000 using JL Audio?OH I got a headache I'll talk to you later.There on youtube just type in bill fitzmaurice there TLAH but camera phone does suck for sound.