System Pictures & Description

felixx said:
If you will try in time....open baffle....you will never look back to enclosure sound.

I've heard some open baffles now, courtesy of the UK DIY Audio meet. The bass was extremely precise on both of the ones I heard. I'm not sure it's exactly my cup of tea though, I like to feel the bass a bit more than that I think. The door is open to more investigation though.

Bass comes from two very old JBL 2220A drivers. It was not a thought through choice at the time, they were merely offered to me cheap.

Turned out they are very very suitable and special too!

They have a sensitivity of ~98 db and the ESLs are ~84db. The sensitivity will be lost for a bit from the open system, but the crossover freq. makes it possible to use a relatively simple lowpass filter. (the lower the freq the higher the loss with OB, with higher x-over freq. you would need bass boost...)

The bass punches like mad on my OB's! No thumpyness, just massive punch!

I think ANY professional driver with large size (like mine, they're 15") can be suitable...

The ESL can be replaced by a dynamic fullrange driver as well....(probably easier to get by and cheaper...) Just make sure if you're a basslover that the bassdriver has the sensitivity benefit. And four amp channels (two stereo poweramps...) are a must! (otherwise it can be a hek of a job to match the system...)

hi! some people prefer small system. someones - looking for loudspeaker for near-field region.
i made one already. 3 way, active phase linear crossover, LM 4766 and LM4780. triangular port - just my idea :). woofer and mid - from Edifer, ribbon - from Fountek. now i've to find another woofer. i need it Qts and Fs less. but it's prety good for now.

Attachments

• trio_s.jpg
    trio_s.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 4,052
my one

Hello,

Something différent in speaker. Full carbone and aluminium speaker. I have posted this project in a other post some month ago.
This is a 3 way speaker. I use the revelator series from Scanspeak. The box is made with a sandwih carbon/coton/fiber
For the speaker support I have used aluminium 30mm cnc.
Filter 2° 410-2800hz.
All dévelopment realisation is made by my self.
My amp is a Aleph 5, pre Aleph 1.7, cd Ayre CX7 all connection xlr.
Incredible system.

My site : http://users.skynet.be/fa616506/index.html

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Some mesure:
phase

Impedance

Filter : something like monster : The diameter of the base is 48cm???
:

I'm working on two new project more crazy (if it's possible) and there will be ok in two month. I will be back :D

First attempt at building loudspeakers

I just completed my first and probably last attempt at building a pair of loudspeakers. The results are simply remarkable from a stand point of sound quality. I had been listening to for several years a beautiful pair of Legacy Focus, but just got the ictch to build a set. I was lucky and found Phil Bamberg at bamberglab.com and with his help built this beautiful set of Sereis 5 MTM and the matching Dual XLS Subwoofers. I'm not a reviewer so I won't attempt that here, all I can say is that they blow away every speaker I had in my system, Their that good! I'm driving them with a pair of Pass Lab Aleph 1.2 clones that I built about two years ago. Well I can't attach the picture it say it's to big?

Hi Newfinish,

Thank you.

Yes there are drives on each side. There is a 10'' XLS Peerless subs on the bottom of each side and a 12" Peerless passives on the top on each side. Phil Bamberg weights them to give them the correct response.

For the crossover I'm using a Behringer DCX2496 which Phil also programs before he sent it to me.

The wood is Walnut. Actually some of it is out of three Walnut trees that I cut down and milled into what you see here.

Phil sells the plans and all the components right down to the nuts and bolts.