System Pictures & Description

update on line sources

I've finally finished tweaking the line source BG/ATC dipoles built ~12 mos. ago... and figured out the sonic character... listening to most well recorded discs, the imaging is such that each instrument sounds as if it has its own speaker custom designed for it, and its placement in the room is rock-solid even as I move around and between them.

NEOPLL10.jpg

also added another sonosub to balance the room... dynamics are spectacular and bass extension is now rock solid to below 20hz and it's as if the subs aren't there... all sound seems to float in the room...

quite a sensation.. only thing left is to redo the finish to a professional level... when it gets warmer

John L.;)

Here is my value-based system. They are active (DCX 2496) 3-way loudspeakers.

They are crossed at 160 (4th order LR lowpass, 1st order highpass)
and 1500 Hz (4th order LR high and low).

Amps from bottom to top (frequency-wise) are a Pioneer SX-1050 (120 w, $10 at thrift store), a NAD 304 (35 w), and a TDA7265 chipamp (25 w). The amplifiers are hidden in a closet behind the wall.

Woofers are Usher 15HMs in sealed 6.5 cubic foot enclosures with EQ (F3 ~30). I bought the drivers off of ebay from non-other than Vance Dickason. I paid $150 for the pair! The enclosures in a former life were department store display stands. I bought them for $6 and added a layer of 3/4 MDF. With the concrete plinths they weigh about 150 lbs each. I had the for thought to not permanently attach the plinths.

Coaxials are SammiSound CX12AW200Gs (PE buyouts) in open baffles. The Sammis sound pretty good with the steep XO. They don't sound as hot with a typically 2nd/3rd order XO. The open baffles weigh in at 50 lbs each.

Sources are a DVR and media center PC; both are using digital outputs. Processor is a Technics AC-300 ($25 ebay).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

More pictures can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rogerlew/sets/72157600010448607/detail/

WAF is extremely low... Especially considering we have a 500 square foot apartment.

Cheers,
Roger

Thanks MJL,

I would say that it is a pretty good all around system with clean output and plenty of headroom. They don't sound like your typical towers. They look big and they sound bigger.

The bass is dynamic and clean. The Ushers are very nice drivers. I wouldn't mind getting another pair of them and running them push-pull. With twice the displacement I could also safely get another half-octave of frequency response. Or possible try a hybrid sealed/open baffle combo like Geenius.

The Sammi coaxials aren't the most dynamic speakers I've ever heard, but they are pleasant sounding, image well, and are extremely efficient. on the downside they beam on axis. I need to experiment some with acoustical treatments on my back wall.

The compression unit matches well with the TDA7265 amp, There is lots of detail, low distortion, low noise. From bobbing my head around in the nearfield they seem to integrate well with the woofers. On paper they doesn't go past 15K, but neither do I. I found a French DIYer who reported good results after modifying the compression unit. I might attempt it if I get bored and/or brave. Here is the link:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.vander-elst.com/sammisound.htm&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Daltec%2B604%2Bsammi%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us
The google translation makes me chuckle.

Roger

The two of them, the right speaker will eventually look like the left speaker...

They contain Quad ESL-57 treble panels with JBL 2220A woofers. Both very old drivers, but absolutely great sounding ones! :)

The 15" woofer has been reconed in 1998, so they perform like 'fresh' ones...alnico magnets....

This project cost me 200EUR. The wood came from an old door (the right speaker still has the holes for the lock in it :D , but I like the 'worn' look with these old drivers...:cool: )

It sure sounds like a lot more expensive pair!

Soon I will build a more powerfull amp for the woofers...I use AMP9 at the moment from 41hz.com IMO a great little amp!

Attachments

• ob-57's.jpg
    ob-57's.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 3,948