System Pictures & Description

A few shots of my first speaker design.

2.jpg Two-way, second order electric crossover. Could have used better caps I suppose, but coupled with my tube pre, phono pre and 6CA7 se amp, they sound unbelievable. Serioulsy. lol
DSCN0727.jpg

DSCN0720.jpg
DSCN0738.JPG
DSCN0737.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry folks, I don't know why those pictures come out so big. Here is my secomd effort, as far as speakers are concerned. Each build I (we, friend and I) build 2 pair. These are almost exactly Zaph bamtm's. I changed the volume slightly, used better (my opinion) components, and cnc'ed internal braces and front baffles. Again, these sound amazing. I did NOT expect such excellent and clear bass.
2009-8-9 Speackers 013.jpg

Photo_081209_002.jpg

Photo_081209_023[1].jpg

I thought I had better shots. I guess I'll have to take more. These have not been veneered as of yet.

Hello everyone!

I`m new to this forum and after seeing all pictures some of you sharing with the others I decided to show my own constructions. The speakers and crossovers I`ve bought as a kit called RX1. Speaker boxes are made to look like Sonus Faber - Concerto Domus.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi everyone, This is a set of speakers I built about a year ago, with help from this forum, Its a bass reflex with morel drivers..
Not happy with the midrange from these speakers (any ideas??). but happy with how they turned out for my first diy build..
DSC01174.jpg

DSC01140.jpg

DSC01159.jpg

Last edited:
photo of my room,,

mains = Altec A7 (highly modified)
center = Def Tec 2500
sub = SVS 13 ultra

side mains = Def Ted 7002
sides = AR2s (modified)
rears = Def Tec

filtered Power is by Marantz and Yamaha,,

TV 63" Sammy Plasma,

Derry

Attachments

• _DLM2431.jpg
    _DLM2431.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 1,445
room is 17' X 22' and 8' height,, built specifically for the HT,,

have special acoustic ceiling by Armstrong with a NRC (noise reduction class) of .90,, absolutely no echo or bounce in the room,, room is very silent until everything is powered up,,

the one SVS 13 is very adequate,, have a friend running two and they do offer a "little" more punch but not worth the $$,, guess it depends on how much ya want to rattle the windows and have the wife yell at ya from upstairs,, certainly plenty of SPL for my ears,, when you can feel the LFE in the furniture your setting in, I figured that was the impact I was seeking,,

Derry

Collection of DIY Speaker Designs

Students at Michigan Tech are publishing speaker designs at:
Tech Speakers

A few highlights:

Super flat two-way tower for studio monitor usage:
Monitor 1 by Keith Kinnear Tech Speakers

A single driver horn system:
?Audrey? Horn-loaded Single-driver Loudspeaker System ? by Nathan P.*Miller Tech Speakers

A system with an exceptionally low tweeter crossover:
BB 2-Way Loudspeakers Tech Speakers

All are released under creative commons licenses and all include testing on specific drivers. Hope some of you find this interesting and maybe useful. Let me know if there are things that would make it more useful.

Wow. Lucky students. Keith's Monitors are truly impressive, and Brad's captions for his Odyssey speakers are a riot.

Here are some things I noticed:

Some of the photos will enlarge and some won't.

I also noticed all the impedance plots have a magnitude (dB) scale which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Are the distortion plots showing THD2 and THD3? Also are all the students measuring distortion at the same volume or with the same power input?

DJ's towers look to me like MLTLs. Especially from the impedance plot.

Good stuff.

Roger:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm working on getting the students to do everything as similar as possible so that valid comparisons can be made and I get a little better every time I do this. I have noticed the photo issues and this semester our impedance jig quit working and then started producing strange results (like DJ's) so I have to rebuild it and figure out why it is so unhappy, especially since there is so little to go wrong... and yet.

I also have to see if our measurement system will output impedance on a more relevant scale. For our internal purposes it hasn't been all that important as you can get the data we need in some other screens. Now that they are going up on the web I need to provide some instructions on generating a more relevant plot.

We just started using the distortion plots and I need to talk with the author of the measurement software to get a better sense of exactly what they are showing. Currently nothing is labeled. This year we sort of dived in with the distortion measurements with out planning out their addition from the start so they are not calibrated tests. There are a number of other ways that the tests are not calibrated as well and since we are putting these test up online I'm going to be spending some significant time nailing down some of those issues so the data is as comparable as possible. I plan on adding another page that will detail the specifics of how all measurements are done so that it is easier for viewers to evaluate the validity of the tests.