System Pictures & Description

eStatic said:
Hey tpenguin and sauuuuuce!

I will reply but I think it's going to be a bit long and general so I will post it on "Everything Else" either tonight or tomorrow. Look for me there.

eStatic

I like your listening room design, too. Is there a book/online resource you used to help calculate/create the best room accoustics, or did you just do it intuitively?

And now to something completely different.

The following picture might seem distributing to some people :att'n:.

First off, it actualy works and I think it sounds pretty good.

The DAC (the stuff below the TV and in the shoebox) was the first I built from scratch. Currently it is a 2 X 1541S1 NOS using Elso's async reclocking, CS8412. I/V is done by opa627 followed by a buf634.

The speakers are fostex FE206E OB (they have moved on to some larger spiral shaped baffels). For bass I use JBL2225 in former bas reflex boxes now seal. They are soon gonna be OB too. (Yes I know not the perfect drivers for OB, but I want to try anyway)

In order to get a decent response from the JBL they are getting a 12db boost, which accorid to my calculations should make them roll off at 50 hz
XO: Highpass is a 6 db line level XO in front of an opa627 with gain of 1. Lowpass starts with my bass boost and the XO is the ASHLY.

The amps are 4 lm3886, each with a 300VA and 2 X 1000 uf silmic. Next project for them are regulation and then a decent box!

And if I haven't given you any reason to flame my setup: The total count of regulators is 37.... all lm317 and lm337

Merry Christmas

Attachments

• image-31small.jpg
    image-31small.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 10,426
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hey JP, what is there not to like? I especially like the speakers.
Just the type of design I like- and I think they really look good!
Probably I'll hate your new baffles! :D I'm putting some JBL's in my rig too- but bass reflex for the moment. I have the drivers buthaven't done it yet so I can't report if it is an improvement.

My theater/listening room is very much a work in progress.

My main speakers are Linkwitz Orions with Adcom 545ii trebble/mid amps and 555ii bass amp. They run full-range on music and are crossed 80Hz 2nd order to control home theater excursion although I've picked component values for a Linkwitz Transform to get me 40Hz 4th order. I discovered that while the Orions are transparent, my DC-1 isn't so I'm running a separate 2-channel chain with Nad+Adcom CD players and a tube preamp.

Side surrounds are Definitive BP2s, surround backs BP8s, center Definitive C1 although I'll build a mini-orion after my hush box. The current sub is a Citation 7.4.

Home theater audio electronics are a Lexicon DC-1, Adcom 555ii sub/center amp, and Adcom 545ii side+back surround amps.

The video chain is a Radeon 7200+M-Audio 2496 based HTPC, Sony 1292 9" liquid coupled color filered EM focus CRT projector, and 87x49" Stewart Studiotek 130 screen with the 3" deluxe border and velux coating. Light control is achieved with Hunter-Douglas blackout blinds, will probably add theatrical curtains to kill reflections.

Conduit runs from the projector to an equipment closet in my basement, currently co ntaining a run of Canare V4-5CFB although wireless keyboard problems, the DC-1 lack of transparency, and need to pull more runs of wire for actively triamplified screen channels means the equipment is still here. There's an IR target over the screen which relays to the equipment closet.

6" ducts exit over the projector for fresh air to a hushbox and to extract hot air. Each has 3 inline fans, with speed controls in the equipment clloset. There's also an unwired current sensing relay so PJ power up can avtivate the fans.

Room size is 19x13x8'.

Primary seating is a 7' couch 11' from the screen (1.5 widths) / 7' from a line drawn through the tweeters. My Orions are 4' front the front wall, and 2.5' to the tweeters from the side walls.

The side surrounds are even with the couch, 6' off the ground, 18" in from the side walls. The rear surrounds have a couple feet of breathing room between them and the back/side walls.

Various construction details and closeups can be found on my theater/listening room page

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

those Orions are beuatiful! Nice HT setup. To me the video side
of things is the most important in a HT setup. If you don't have a
big, bright, vibrant picture - the best audio in the world isn't going
to save the experience. Now, when you have a nice big display,
the quality audio just adds to the total immersive experience. :)

My system .

Hi ,

My system have :

1 x JVC amplfier Rx-230R modified to 200 W x 2 at 8 Ohm RMS
1 x DIY Amplfier 400 W x 2 at 8 Ohm RMS
1 x Behringer Mixer : VMX 100
1 x Computer with a Yamaha Pro sound card .

2 x Speaker's , multirange , 4 speaker's , notice the yelow middle speaker , it's a klevar one , some 500 $ mid's and some old piezo ,
400 W at 8 Ohm .
2 x Subwoofer's , tube , 12 " Speaker's , 300 W at 8 Ohm .

What do you say ? It'a a good system ?
That is not a HiFi ... more like a P.A.

P.S. Some picture's was taked in infrared mode because my light fuses blow... i was welding on a AC outlet that was included in the light circuit ... big mistake ...it only support 10 Amp .. and my welder take's about 35 Amp ...

Attachments

• image007.jpeg
    image007.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 8,426
Wow. Interesting setup you have there. I guess sound is more important than aesthetics to you. I'm sort of one to leave equipment strewn around, myself. However, if I left it open like that, my dog would destroy it. I think you should post that in the 'ugly amp' thread if you haven't already ;). By the way, I've never heard any OB speakers before. How do they sound compared to sealed/ported/PR?

Flemming J P said:
And now to something completely different.

The following picture might seem distributing to some people :att'n:.

First off, it actualy works and I think it sounds pretty good.

The DAC (the stuff below the TV and in the shoebox) was the first I built from scratch. Currently it is a 2 X 1541S1 NOS using Elso's async reclocking, CS8412. I/V is done by opa627 followed by a buf634.

The speakers are fostex FE206E OB (they have moved on to some larger spiral shaped baffels). For bass I use JBL2225 in former bas reflex boxes now seal. They are soon gonna be OB too. (Yes I know not the perfect drivers for OB, but I want to try anyway)

In order to get a decent response from the JBL they are getting a 12db boost, which accorid to my calculations should make them roll off at 50 hz
XO: Highpass is a 6 db line level XO in front of an opa627 with gain of 1. Lowpass starts with my bass boost and the XO is the ASHLY.

The amps are 4 lm3886, each with a 300VA and 2 X 1000 uf silmic. Next project for them are regulation and then a decent box!

And if I haven't given you any reason to flame my setup: The total count of regulators is 37.... all lm317 and lm337

Merry Christmas

Wow. Interesting setup you have there. I guess sound is more important than aesthetics to you.
Yes and no. But when I have build something I want results fast, and most of the stuff is still prototypes with lots of changes on the drawing board.

Only the amps will get boxes in the near future.

I'm sort of one to leave equipment strewn around, myself. However, if I left it open like that, my dog would destroy it.

All my pets are locked any. Last time they got near my setup, my dac suffered 4 cut wires, lucky for the dac and the pet, that it wasn't on.

I think you should post that in the 'ugly amp' thread if you haven't already.

I will, the amps have some very unusual features :eek:

By the way, I've never heard any OB speakers before. How do they sound compared to sealed/ported/PR?

I can't say anything about the bass department yet, but for the midrange more air, more detail. I'm never going to cage a midrange again :D

Oh, HT stuff

michael said:
i really dont mean to offend anyone but can anyone tell me why all us DIYers have our fantastic diy speakers subs etc all connected to either an old computer and/or a small 48cm tv, perhaps if diy tvs were practical we would have huge ones, any thoughts?
I've separated music from HT and were I to do it over again I'd go with a front projector. I haven't made it pretty yet but it sounds great. The center channel is still in development, the black column on the right is a Shiva 'tube, on the left a vented Tempest, my Isa mains, Pyle Pro amp, BFD, JVC 5.1 receiver, Toshiba DVD, and Toshiba 65" HDTV and Dish receiver.
My web page.

Attachments

• htview2.jpg
    htview2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 8,821