System Pictures & Description - Page 74 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2005, 04:02 PM   #731
diyAudio Member

My mom still freaks out when she walks into my room because I have a pair is bare MDF cabinets as soon as you go through my door.

Josh
Old 7th May 2005, 07:26 PM   #732
flaevor is offline flaevor  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Are you new to this?
Marriage or Speaker building?
Old 7th May 2005, 07:32 PM   #733
maxw is offline maxw  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flaevor

Marriage or Speaker building?
hehe
Old 8th May 2005, 04:20 AM   #734
Bose(o) is offline Bose(o)  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hey man, that's not so bad. Mine will freak out if the speaker is VISIBLE from outside the room.
Old 12th May 2005, 09:43 PM   #735
Thror is offline Thror  Norway
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Thror
Not yet finished 2way monitors, they're name BEL 2.0 (there is a 2.5 version). The drivers are from silver flute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bel.jpg (50.7 KB, 4299 views)
Old 15th May 2005, 01:26 AM   #736
diyAudio Member

Default Final shot of line array dipoles

Here's what I think will be the final location of the BG dipoles with panasonic leaf tweeters, etc. descrbed previously. Not cheap but they blow away anything I've heard in over 35 years of this stuff...

What I've found in this location is that you can literally "walk through" the stereo image... and the image is very stable througout the room. It's almost equivalent to walking around in front of a live concert... the instruments stay put but your perspective on the sound changes. Then, since they're located ~1/2 way in the rrom, you can walk front to back and the band gets closer.. between them it actually sounds like the band is around you... and as you continue towards our front door, the image correctly seems to retreat behind. Wife has heard the same effect. Very unique experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bgsetup3.jpg (78.7 KB, 4928 views)
Old 15th May 2005, 07:38 PM   #737
Bose(o) is offline Bose(o)  Canada
diyAudio Member

Do you propose that this effect is caused by the tweeters alone?
Old 15th May 2005, 08:18 PM   #738
diyAudio Member

>> Do you propose that this effect is caused by the tweeters alone?<<

Not at all.... the leaf tweeter acts only as a front firing"super" tweeter.. with the lions share of the highs handled by 2 Peerless domes firing front and back out of phase (as a dipole). The Bohlender Grabener 75" ribbons are free running from 650 Hz till they crap out at ~ 15 Khz and run as dipoles as well.

It's my opinion that the dipole radiation combined with the room position and the line source behavior of the BG planars are the primary contributions to this effect.

The leaf tweeter simply provides an extraordinarily clean high end. All of the non planar drivers are co-incident with the planar divers within their operating range.
Old 16th May 2005, 06:12 AM   #739
copper is offline copper  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Final shot of line array dipoles

Quote:
Originally posted by auplater
Here's what I think will be the final location of the BG dipoles with panasonic leaf tweeters, etc. descrbed previously. Not cheap but they blow away anything I've heard in over 35 years of this stuff...

What I've found in this location is that you can literally "walk through" the stereo image... and the image is very stable througout the room. It's almost equivalent to walking around in front of a live concert... the instruments stay put but your perspective on the sound changes. Then, since they're located ~1/2 way in the rrom, you can walk front to back and the band gets closer.. between them it actually sounds like the band is around you... and as you continue towards our front door, the image correctly seems to retreat behind. Wife has heard the same effect. Very unique experience.

Wow, that is almost exactly what I'm trying to build with my second system (for sound reproduction I mean). Those look absolutely awesome

If you don't mind my asking, how much did they set you back to build? (I don't recall seeing you price them anywhere)

Let me get my digital camera from my office one day this week and I'll post my system too.
Old 17th May 2005, 12:33 AM   #740
diyAudio Member

Default BG Dipoles

Total cost of drivers, xover components, wood, etc. was in the $750 - $800 range for each speaker. Plus quite a few weekends planing cherry, biscuit joining, cutting mdf, etc.... (but that's the fun part, aside from actually hearing the finished hardware)

These roll of rapidly below 50 Hz (by design, because they are augmented by a 5 ft^3 sonotube subwoofer with a 12" titanic, good to ~18 Hz or thereabouts)

You could easily improve the low end for not much more if need be with a different driver complement, but I picked the 6 1/2" Peerless HDS mid subs for their smooth freq. response and taut midbass response. The bass cabinets are tuned to 49 Hz, in a reflex cabinet.

In room spl's at 15 feet measure in excess of 110 dB (wife and kids run from the house!)..sensitivity measures roughly 91 dB @ 1 watt 1 meter, and the sound does indeed fall off at the linesource rate of 1/R rather than inverse square of a point source. You can actually sit within a couple of feet of one speaker and still hear the image and sounds from the opposite speaker. They also fill the entire 2 story space of roughly 15000 cubic feet with prodigious high quality sound.

I've got a second system with very heavily modified (as in all guts, drivers, etc. stripped and replaced and cabinets reinforced) old Infinity RS II's I'm using in my HT setup that is evolving.

Hide this!Advertise here!