System Pictures & Description - Page 73 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2005, 12:20 AM   #721
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: stored energy??

Quote:
Originally posted by auplater
Older tube gear sometimes suffered microphonics when the filaments physiaclly vibrated and changed the mechanical properties of the tube design. Is this what you mean? if so, the marble would help prevent this, not cause it.
All devices suffer from microphonics to a greater or lesser extent ... it is the resonant structure of the marble that may be a potential problem (or benefit)

dave
Old 29th April 2005, 12:41 AM   #722
diyAudio Member

Default resonance

Re: stored energy?? Post #718
Quote:
Older tube gear sometimes suffered microphonics when the filaments physiaclly vibrated and changed the mechanical properties of the tube design. Is this what you mean? if so, the marble would help prevent this, not cause it.

All devices suffer from microphonics to a greater or lesser extent ... it is the resonant structure of the marble that may be a potential problem (or benefit)

dave
Not to be argumentative, but the magnitude of said resonance and its effect on the sound is what is an issue. If the level of supposed microphonics is way way below the noise threshold, there is no physical means of distinguishing it, human or otherwise. As I've been involved in building detectors for radio astronomy and microwave communications, where amplifiers, discriminators, mixers bolometers, and the like are run near absolute zero and signals on the order of a few tens of degrees are being measured from light years away, I feel confident that the microphonics induced in this marble, wires, transistors, etc from audio pursuits are absolutely
swamped by many other far greater effects (mostly as thermal noise). So the theory I guess is that the resonant frequency of the marble amplifies the harmonics (be they of femtoscopic amplitude) until they are audible? Not likely.

I'll continue to pursue improvements in the weakest link by far of the audio chain.. the speaker and speaker/room interface.

(sorry to run off topic...)

John
Old 29th April 2005, 06:59 AM   #723
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Artmaster Send a message via MSN to Artmaster
Default Re: Re: amp design

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Cool... should we just start calling you the "marble man"?
dave
I'm not a marlble man realy, but I like to to produce good-looking goods
Quote:
Originally posted by Stocker

Not everyone can hear a difference from one chassis to another, Not everyone thinks it's an issue at all... And not everyone has speakers that might highlight it as an issue.
I know several boys, hows prefer heavy chasses against slight ones, but first thing now - view, generous, high-minded, appropriated interior, for sweet home, not for basement.
that's why I being made all of acoustic, using precious materials.
apropos, you'll spend almost the same money for make it by wood.
anyway - thank you.
Old 29th April 2005, 08:40 AM   #724
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Default Re: resonance

Quote:
Re: stored energy?? Post #718
If the level of supposed microphonics is way way below the noise threshold, there is no physical means of distinguishing it, human or otherwise...
You use a lot of big words, so I'm sure you know more about the scientific mechanisms than I do, but I must say for other people's sake that I do hear differences in equipment feet, racks, and chassis damping. People must try it, if they are to escape the potential quadmire of sluggish sound. (I once had paving slabs on my equipment rack to 'damp vibrations' - once they'd gone what a relief! The sound was freed!)

edit: realise I might have sounded sarcastic. I respect others' opinions and right to disprove my ideas and debunk my myths.
Old 5th May 2005, 04:52 PM   #725
flaevor is offline flaevor  United States
diyAudio Member

Well if this works you'll see my first DIY attempt taken from a kit design that I modified slightly (blindly). The sides are at 95 degree angles to the front. The crossover was modified from the original to use all mundorf components. The finish is well I'll answer that if someone asks to avoid unnecessary ridicule.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sidewinder2.jpg (31.3 KB, 3956 views)
Old 5th May 2005, 05:32 PM   #726
diyAudio Member

Hi Flaevor

Congratulations. Im finishing my first too and finding how HARD is to acomplish a project.

What kit is that?
Did you change XO values just to use Mundorfs????

TIA

JC
Old 5th May 2005, 06:54 PM   #727
diyAudio Member

Well the story goes like this. I went to the local shop and found nothing acceptable under 600 ea. (US $780). So I decided the time has come to build some. After considering different designs, and talking with a couple of gurus I decided on the Sidewalk kit from Intertechnik.
They only had one slanted side and my wife correctly stated that in all likelihood people would think I screwed up if only one side was slanted so I slanted them both. The added volume had a positive effect in the simulations so I figured why not. The kit was too expensive for me to pay all at once so I bought everything piece for piece for several places, but no shops in the rip off land of germany.
Then I decided it was time to order the crossover parts, but they were going to cost me over 95. So I started looking around and found a shop that sold the mundorf components and they happened to be 10 cheaper. So I took them. none of the decisive values were different except that the ohm vale of the coils was slightly higher.71 vs. .43 or something. I was told this may reduce the bass response but I'm happy with the bass response so who cares.
I also swapped out the tweeter, since the tweeter that was in the plan is no longer made by peerless. That may or may not have been a mistake, but all in all I'm happy.
The finish is a self sticking plastic foil from DC-Fix. It looks like snake skin and is really beautiful. If that's your thing. we have pretty exotic stuff at our house, so it fits.
Sorry for the long post. But I've been dying to share.
Old 5th May 2005, 10:24 PM   #728
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by flaevor But I've been dying to share.
Feels good doesn't it?

Nice looking project flaevor.

Cal
Old 6th May 2005, 08:04 PM   #729
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Feels good doesn't it?
You bet it does!

Quote:
Nice looking project flaevor.
Thank you. I would have loved to do real wood veneer but I don't have the time or the tools. When my wife saw the mdf cabinets she freaked. They were way to big for her taste. After I finished them she was fine though. Wife appeal is tough sometimes.
Old 6th May 2005, 10:29 PM   #730
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by flaevor
Wife appeal is tough sometimes.
Are you new to this?

Cal

Hide this!Advertise here!