System Pictures & Description

wintermute said:
I was originally thinking of using the focal drivers you have but moved away from the idea when I learned they are hard to crossover (seeing as how it will be my first crossover design).
Hi. ;)

Yes, those Focal drivers aren't easy to crossover... I started with those drivers a long time ago !
My crossover is 24 dB Linkwitz Riley (acoustic), but the natural slope of the frequency response of the woofer at the FC allows me to use a more simple crossover design than the "classical" 4th order...

;)
Vincent

Hy,
i am new in this Forum, and I want to say hello to all of you with one or two pictures of my System.

Attachments

• anlage 2 044 klein.jpg
    anlage 2 044 klein.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 15,186
This is my second picture. I hope you understand my english!
My system consists the open speakers Prometheus from Bastanis and two dipole sub. I hear all kinds of music and i employ with music reproduction since 15 years. Now i am at the end of searching a loudspeaker system because i found a verry dynamic loudspeaker ( 100 db ) without every contorsion and very good voice reproduction. Im now able to hear many hours music without being nerved.

BR Dommi

Attachments

• anlage 2 021 klein.jpg
    anlage 2 021 klein.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 14,342
"le résonateur"

Get the LSPCAD software from Ingemar Johansson, it simulates double reflex loading (= résonateur) as the only software that I know of.
There also was an article about that in the german magazine HobbyHifi, saying that basically trying to do a double reflex loading "by hand" can be a nightmare 'coz there are so many factors affecting the final result.

This page explains how this "résonateur" works, but it's in french : http://pageperso.aol.fr/petoindominique/doc_htm/br.htm#reson (there is a .xls document in download to calculate a box) ; you can find some informations here too (in english this time ;)) in a different kind of box (2 ports in front of the box), but the calculation seems to be more appromixate : http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prt/dual_chamber.htm

I use LspCAD for simulating my projects, but the simulations of a "double tuned bass reflex 1" aren't at all in agreement with the calculations of Dominique Pétoin ! :xeye:

Another choice for this sort of box is to replace the internal port by three holes of a variable diameter (3 to 7 cm) in MDF. And It works great with LspCAD ! :)

;)
Vincent

Vincent,
I haven't done any simulations with LSPCAD on double tuned ...blabla myself (though a lot of other sims), but Mr. Timmermanns , tech editor of HobbyHifi, found close similarities in the simulations and actual measured results, done on a Visaton B200 fullrange driver. This driver with it's high Qts could be "tamed" to work in a double tuned reflex enclosure........

Salutations,
Oliver
;)

you can find some informations here too (in english this time ) in a different kind of box (2 ports in front of the box), but the calculation seems to be more appromixate : http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prt/dual_chamber.htm

Vince, this is the Double Chamber Reflex presented in 1961 by G.L.Auspurger. It is a completely different system from the Elipson-Fostex DBR-DCAAV!:eek:

Regards

Claudio

Dommi:

What's the XO between the ~Eminence and the tweeter?

Does the ~Eminence have a tweeter-cone? / Do you know anything about the frequency-respons of this driver?

Is the tweeter open-baffle or closed?

I'm asking these questions because I find it an interesting config, but it might also be wise to put some sound-damping on the wall behind the speakers, in the case that mid/high-frequencies are also backfired.

I also see an Audionet SAM amplifier, which confuses me in the sense that it's way overpowered for your system. More suitable options that come to mind: low powered triode, non-inverted chipamp or buffered inverted chipamp (DIY or commercial).

Thanks everybody to the differents experiences on the double tuned bass reflex. ;)

I will soon build new boxes for my loudpseakers, so I will compare the "résonateur" of Dominique Pétoin and that with the holes replacing the internal port : a friend of mine tell me that was quite easy to do and very effective. :)

I will surely post a topic to describe which is the better compared to a simple bass reflex box.

;)
Vincent

...thought i'd post a picture of my Straight 8's a Bottlehead kit.
they aren't as DIY as what most of you are doing, but for me they
were a project! I run these with a ~5 watt X-SOZ amp and a
BZLS pre. The 8's are very nice sounding speakers and have
satisfying bass without a sub. Great speakers for low watt amp :nod:

Attachments

• s8.jpg
    s8.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 14,109
Poor quality pictures, but you get the idea...

http://home.earthlink.net/~mdis29a/images/newroom1.jpg

My apartment is incredibly cramped, thus the poor component positioning.

That's an NHT Model One on the far left. Sitting next to that is my broken Adcom GCD-600 and Harmon-Kardon ST-5 turntable, which I've just about got back into working order (like everything else, it was a thrift store find). Next to that is my computer rack--dual Athlon XP 1800s in the big box, PII-233 in the little box, and Sparc IIi 360 in the rack chassis under the monitor, if anyone cares. Component rack next to that, with my Classe CA-101 power amp and Kyocera DA-410cx CDP. Sitting atop the CDP is the world's crappiest passive preamp (a dual 10k, center-indexed pot salvaged from the tone control section of a 30 year old Proton receiver, soldered directly to some hacked-up interconnects, and all nailed to chunk of wood I pulled off a bird cage). Under the amp is my Paradigm sub.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mdis29a/images/newroom2.jpg

And that's the other half. The speaker stand is obviously DIY. I ran out of paint in the middle of finishing the thing this weekend :bawling: