Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

System Pictures & Description
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2018, 10:26 PM   #3011
sergiu2009 is offline sergiu2009  Romania
diyAudio Member

Hello and a happy new year to you all,
In december 2017, in my holidays i just finished my speakers, and forgot to post. Here are some pics with the finished rubas, bass, cables and filters.
I added a burned wood effect on the sides of each ruban and aded some handles. Those speaker cables are 6*2.5mm wires twisted two by two, then braided and have 3m long, and the + and - are holded together by wooden supports at 10cm distance from each other. This may be overkill but i noticed that cables do affect the sound abit..
The filters are basically butterworth but fine tuned to eliminate the peak at 220hz (crossing point).
My version of rubans are almost fullrange and can go from 150hz to above 23khz (my soundcard cannot do more) have 50cm tall membrane and are almost 360 degree dispersion at 8ohm and aprox 95db each at 100w. The verticall dispersion is poor but can be improved with an easy trick (work in progress).
The bass cabinet is an infinte baffle type with 95db 15inch bass 8ohm at 100w each(down firing--i did take into account all the aspects needed for this) and goes bellow 40hz with ease.
The amplifier is my modified version of Hiraga super classe a rated at max 38w sinus at 8ohms.
Cheers
Sergiu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3.jpg (599.5 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg image-6.jpg (737.9 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg image-5.jpg (464.4 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg image-4.jpg (440.9 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg image-2.jpg (572.2 KB, 241 views)

Last edited by sergiu2009; 13th January 2018 at 10:32 PM. Reason: the pics didnt upload
Old 14th January 2018, 12:30 PM   #3012
felixx is offline felixx  Romania
diyAudio Member

Congrats Sergiu... Looking good.
Old 14th January 2018, 12:56 PM   #3013
diyAudio Member

Thanks Felixx. I have watched your work too from picasa... Congrats for the impressive work, looks and assembly.
Old 14th January 2018, 04:55 PM   #3014
6thplanet is offline 6thplanet  United States
diyAudio Member

Those look nice! Id like to know more of what a "Rubas" speaker is? You say it like it's a copy of some version of speaker. I did a quick search but nothing really came up
Old 14th January 2018, 07:39 PM   #3015
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thplanet View Post
Those look nice! I’d like to know more of what a "Rubas" speaker is? You say it like it's a copy of some version of speaker. I did a quick search but nothing really came up
Rubanoide, Janus 50, Linaeum ls1000 (call it whatever you want) and my ruban are actually derived from a german speaker from between the ww1-ww2 period. In that period the first type of this speaker was invented and patented i think, and had 3 feet if i remember good. The first ruban had a classic magnet with a classic type round coil. The rest have a longitudinall flat coil imersed in a forcefull neodim magnetic field and other improvements.
My ruban is derived partially from janus (only the height) and partially from linaeum patents (inspiration for the cuts, hinges, and a ton of other aspects that i researched and tested in 'a diy ribon of a different kind' from planars and magnetics forum) and some small adds from myself (the antihumidity paper treatment, improvements for a balanced horizontal dispersion and high frecvency improvement). These aspects are just a small part of the work, the other huge part has been researched and posted by my friend Wrine who is still working silently on a flat almost fullrange ruban.
Basically this speaker is a dipole speaker where the membrane has no yellow spider its very light and can almost sustain itself centered in the magnetic field (it has only two thin elasticson top and botton, weak tensionned, to keep things safe and in place) and the front and back of the membrane if summed can make an almost 15" almost fullrange speaker.
Bellow is the old article:

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by sergiu2009; 14th January 2018 at 07:49 PM. Reason: aded some clarifications
Old 14th January 2018, 08:09 PM   #3016
diyAudio Member

Here is a small description from those days.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 15th January 2018, 02:26 PM   #3017
6thplanet is offline 6thplanet  United States
diyAudio Member

Ahhh, so that top section is like a really tall Linaeum type unit? You built it from scratch?
Old 15th January 2018, 04:50 PM   #3018
diyAudio Member

Yes, and yes i did.
Cheers

System Pictures & DescriptionHide this!Advertise here!