Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

System Pictures & Description
System Pictures & Description
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2017, 05:27 PM   #2991
JustinB is offline JustinB  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Current System - To be replaced!

Most of the specs for these have been lost to PC upgrades, but this is the system that I currently listen to, and will be replacing in the near future (see my post with the design thoughts and questions I currently have?)

Center channel makes noise, but has some pretty serious design flaws. It was my 3rd build and first attempt at crossover from scratch. Drivers are spaced too far apart, forgot that the tweeter was 6 ohm in x-over design (ran for 8 ohm numbers), and the woofers are in separate chambers - one sealed, one ported. Just weird. I was able to work on box construction technique and learned how to do a Piano finish, though - good experience! Not sure what I will do with this when I build my new setup...
Towers were my 4th build. Found some 8" drivers on clearance, and spent a little bit of $ on the Seas Prestige 5.5" mid and Vifa D27SG15 tweeter . Proceeded to make weird design choices and probably butcher the x-over (cannot remember any specs). Really stepped up cabinet construction, learned veneer. Pretty good sound - the best thing I can say about them is that they are not fatiguing to listen to and they will get loud. I know I am missing detail somewhere, but at least my ears don't hurt. These are quality drivers, and I will likely re-use them in a completely re-designed tower for the 2-channel listening space my wife and I are setting up in our front sitting room.
System is driven by a Pioneer Elite SC-05 receiver (have yet to even default the unit and set up for my own space after buying used). Sony PS3 plays round things and streams. Denon DP-300F turntable with DL-110 cartridge spins vinyl. I'll end up moving the turntable into the front room for dedicated 2-channel space and the living room will end up strictly digital.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg audio system 2.jpg (110.1 KB, 466 views)

System Pictures & DescriptionHide this!Advertise here!