System Pictures & Description - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2003, 04:58 AM   #11
Jye is offline Jye  Australia
diyAudio Member

Is it possible to make this a permanent thread like the threads on the video forum ?? "Permanent: Post Your Results"
Old 26th November 2003, 05:05 AM   #12
jwb is offline jwb  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jwb
Hey Serow, that's a nice looking tube headamp/preamp. What's the car audio component on the middle shelf?
Old 26th November 2003, 06:21 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The video stuff is fairly constant. Denon DVD, Sony VCR, Technics DD/DTS processor. The pre (NAIT II) and Tuner (an Onkyo) are almost as steady. Amp(s) currently a Don Stenton Signature, and speakers change regularily. Some EL84 amps coming up soon. TT not shown.

The current speakers are interesting. Visaton B200s in open baffles. They are quite good. I got the drivers on loan from Creative Sound with the purpose of preparing them for the NW DIY event that happened last Saturday. People were quite impressed with them. Me too. (I won't be able to afford to keep them myself so Bob has given me the go ahead to sell them cheap -- maybe the only pair in North America, if you are interested contact me). I made a removable sub-baffle so i could swap in other drivers up to 8" (i've got some number to try including some Korean made FR65s).

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg system-wbaffles-b200.jpg (40.2 KB, 45343 views)
Old 26th November 2003, 06:23 AM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

closer....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b200-baffles.jpg (46.6 KB, 42832 views)
Old 26th November 2003, 06:23 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

and even closer...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg visaton-b200.jpg (30.3 KB, 42255 views)
Old 26th November 2003, 07:58 AM   #16
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JOE DIRT®
show off`s ...LOL....I had a clock radio 20 years ago
Me too but I hacked mine and ran a lead out and hooked it up to a 12" two way (mono) I found at the dump. The cone on the 12" I had to patch together with bits of tissue paper and watered down PVA glue...... Them were the days

Here is a picture of one of my current 3ways. Don't laugh!!!! It sounds a bit better than it looks, although anyone out there with some idea of box construction will probably cringe! I hate to think about the diffraction effects of the recessed baffle. All I can say is I plead not guilty to the original box. The baffles, ports, speakers and xovers (pre made) are my doing but not the box!

About the only thing I'd say the original design had that was maybe even slightly on the right track is that the dimentions are golden ratio The chip board is somewhat swolen due to beer spills!!! (Oh and there is no internal bracing apart from in the corners, so they tend to resonate a bit at certain freqs if turned up

Current system:

Two of shown boxes
Marantz DV18 MK II
Playmaster series 200 amp with mods
Loewe Xelos 5381 ZW 81CM
Panasonic NV-F65 HQ HIFI VCR (they don't make em like that anymore)
Rotel RT-940AX Tuner (very ordinary really)
AKAI GX-32 tape deck

planning on making some MTM's using Morel MW-144's and DMS-37's and some new cabinets for the Vifa 10"s. (If I can ever get of my behind and order the drivers).....

Regards,

Tony.

EDIT: Oh and I intend to finish the new speakers with a nice blackwood veneer

EDIT 2: Why do I always seem to end up on a new page???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speaker.jpg (49.4 KB, 35018 views)
Old 26th November 2003, 08:14 AM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Looks like an all Philips speaker. What XO?

dave
Old 26th November 2003, 09:14 AM   #18
just another
diyAudio Moderator

No the woofer is actually a Vifa M26WR-09-08. But the tweet and mid are phillips.

The crossover was a pre built one I got at Jaycar about 10-15 years ago (were about $80 each at the time so not cheap), I can't really remember when. It is reasonably well made, using all poly caps except for the one on the woofer which is a BP electro, and uses really heavy gauge wire in the coils (was rated at 200W) I've never actually tried to work out what design it is but I think its a second order (tweeter polarity is reversed).

It's actually woefully matched to the mids, and not particulary good for the woofers either (which really should be crossed below 500) (the mids and the woofers really are a poor match, but they are better than the original 12" woofers!)

the Xover freqs are 500Hz and 3500Hz (I think). The mid's resonant freq (again I think) is about 360Hz so it really needs to be crossed quite a bit higher). I had xovers with 800 and 3000 Hz xover freq but they sounded awfull (although that could have been more to do with the fact that they used all electros and ferite cored coils! and was also when the boxes still had the 12" drivers).

I really want to get a panasonic mic so I can do some measurements and see how bad they really are, but I can't find where to get them here in Aus.

Regards,

Tony.
Old 26th November 2003, 03:53 PM   #19
wudi is offline wudi  Austria
diyAudio Member

Question B200 open baffle

Hello Planet

Did you do any passive corrections on the B200?
At the visaton home page (B200 Dipol) they drop the heights with
1.5 mH and 15 Ohms parallel. I have never heard the B200 nor an open baffle, so i´m interested.

greetings from the mountains
wudi
Old 26th November 2003, 05:11 PM   #20
Serow is offline Serow  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jwb
Hey Serow, that's a nice looking tube headamp/preamp. What's the car audio component on the middle shelf?
Thanks, I like the look of it too. However, it made me vow to never work with wood cases again - countersinking the chassis mount jacks and the pot was a big pain.

That component is a cheap subwoofer crossover I bought on eBay. I have it set for 50Hz 12dB/Oct right now, but I think I'll open it up and see if I can convert in to 24dB/Oct.

Eric

Hide this!Advertise here!