System Pictures & Description - Page 176 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2010, 12:08 PM   #1751
diyAudio Member

Default Presenting The Gate

Picked up my camera today so I can finally present my own humble creation in its current raw form (and prove my level of insanity):

Mains: 3.5 way WWMT/TMWW, 190x28x28 cm, part H, part (shallow) U frame,
2x G 20 SC, 2x TI 100, 4x W 200 S, crossover points (LR 4th) 2300, 243 Hz with top and bottom woofer rolled off 30 dB at 243 Hz/12 dB slope.

Subs: 190x35x35 cm H frame, 6x W 300 connected per 3 in parallel, crossoverpoint (LR 4th) 50 Hz between mains and subs when in use, otherwise the mains run full range.

TV: Philips 42" plasma (used only for watching (ripped) movies/series, cable content holds nothing of interest for me)

Source: VIA Eden Mini-ITX based mediaserver with Terratec Aureon 5.1 soundcard; OS: FreeBSD 7; player: good ol' XMMS and Xine. The Yamaha GT-CD1 (one of the very few original 220V versions) needs a replacement drivebelt for the lens transport first, then I'll look into getting a nice pre-amplifier.

Processing: Behringer DEQ2496 for room equalizing, connected with digital out to 2 DCX2496'. Outputs are configured for sub, sub, low, low/low-mid, mid, high and time aligned.

Power amps: (per side) 1x Behringer EP4000 in stereo for sub, 2x Behringer EP2000 for main (all with combined silent fan and resistor mods).

Planned finishing: all edges rounded, front and inside behind mid/tweeters white felt, complete frames white high gloss paint.

Sound: Depending on the quality of the recording a deep and wide soundstage, very realistic and detailed (often up to the point where I suddenly hear more faint noises in the recorded background), tight and deep open baffle bass not fazed by the cannons from Overture 1812 .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg main_sub_left_001.jpg (176.5 KB, 3063 views)
File Type: jpg main_sub_right_001.jpg (201.6 KB, 3035 views)
File Type: jpg tv_stereo_rack_002.jpg (497.6 KB, 2911 views)

Last edited by JamesTRexx; 27th February 2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: (added details)
Old 27th February 2010, 12:39 PM   #1752
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Wow!!!!
Old 27th February 2010, 07:31 PM   #1753
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimontY View Post
Wow!!!!
That's the kind of reaction I go for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg main_back_detail.jpg (210.4 KB, 2542 views)

Last edited by JamesTRexx; 27th February 2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: (add image)
Old 28th February 2010, 12:57 AM   #1754
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
I can't believe nobody else is commenting, it looks like a dream setup to me!
Old 28th February 2010, 01:35 AM   #1755
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Sorry, off watching the olympics and doing an earthquake and tsunami watch. Busy day. Yes, that is truly something James. I love your humble creation.
Old 28th February 2010, 04:34 AM   #1756
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimontY View Post
I can't believe nobody else is commenting, it looks like a dream setup to me!
Sometimes people are just left speechless.
(happens more often with me, but usually there's mention of straightjackets soon after )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Sorry, off watching the olympics and doing an earthquake and tsunami watch. Busy day. Yes, that is truly something James. I love your humble creation.
Thanks!
Btw, if you spot seismic activity in the south of the Netherlands, my apologies. I'll turn the volume down.
Old 28th February 2010, 05:05 AM   #1757
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTRexx View Post
Sometimes people are just left speechless.
Not really. Whilst they might be what Simon and others might wish to build, they are not to my (and I assume many others') personal tastes.

I did enjoy looking at it though and will be interested to see how it looks when they're finished and I almost always find at least one aspect of other peoples builds that gives me ideas for mine, or a future design. The 4 box design reminds me of one of my first builds, except those were more reminiscent of the Infinity IRS and not much shorter than yours, but wider (main panel) and deeper (LF section).

I honestly hope you enjoyed building them, and listening to them. Pity you're on the other side of the world, because I'd enjoy the chance to hear them for myself; maybe they'd change my (so far) not very positive opinion about OB's.
Old 28th February 2010, 08:06 AM   #1758
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Not really. Whilst they might be what Simon and others might wish to build, they are not to my (and I assume many others') personal tastes.
Shhhh.., don't spoil my 15 minutes of delusion.
It's a good thing there are different tastes out there. No matter how good these sound, they still are one of the largest speakers in the world (excluding the couple of extreme systems). Some people prefer speakers as small as possible but as my priority is full range sound quality so the size up to medium towers wouldn't do.
Although I have a design of two slim (sealed) columns in mind (calculated width/depth of 18x18 cm) which might work as a medium tower as well.

Quote:
The 4 box design reminds me of one of my first builds, except those were more reminiscent of the Infinity IRS and not much shorter than yours, but wider (main panel) and deeper (LF section).
Interesting. Pictures, tech info?

Quote:
I honestly hope you enjoyed building them, and listening to them. Pity you're on the other side of the world, because I'd enjoy the chance to hear them for myself; maybe they'd change my (so far) not very positive opinion about OB's.
Actually, I was more happy that I was done glueing, screwing and wiring after two days. Not to mention I could finally throw out all the cardboard boxes and clean up the livingroom.
But then again it was worth it to make my own design reality.
While building I was already thinking what others would think of the sound and if I'd ever load up the whole system for a meeting around here (I definitely would like to hear them in a large room).
I'd like to have taken that challenge of changing your opinion on OB.
Old 28th February 2010, 08:34 AM   #1759
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Shhhh.., don't spoil my 15 minutes of delusion.
You'll get the chance for payback later when I post mine. I know I am beholden to Beranek's Law.
Quote:
It's a good thing there are different tastes out there. No matter how good these sound, they still are one of the largest speakers in the world (excluding the couple of extreme systems).
I am waiting on some money to get the timber cut, but my new mains will be 200 h, 60 w and 40 d, a pair of AE TD15X (sealed W-U-W) and a Unity per channel. This project, as well as the sides/rears and subs is progressing even slower than usual for me and is beginning to make a glacier look speedy in comparison.
Quote:
Some people prefer speakers as small as possible but as my priority is full range sound quality so the size up to medium towers wouldn't do.
Although I have a design of two slim (sealed) columns in mind (calculated width/depth of 18x18 cm) which might work as a medium tower as well.
Still a bit 'petite', no?
Small = no bass, no dynamic range and typical constipated sound - meh.

Quote:
Interesting. Pictures, tech info?
They were 25 years ago, so no photos. Basically 4 10" Australian made pro drivers in a huge ported cab (circa 300L net) each side, tuned to around 30Hz. Mains were 9 Foster wideranges and 9 Philips tweeters in a line source. Looked just like the IRS or the Genesis physically, just uglier. Xovers were 200 and 5k IIRC 18dB/oct passive.

Quote:
While building I was already thinking what others would think of the sound and if I'd ever load up the whole system for a meeting around here (I definitely would like to hear them in a large room).
I'd like to have taken that challenge of changing your opinion on OB.
It is nice for stuff to just get completed and it would have been interesting to hear your OB's. I personally don't give a tuppence worth of care what someone else thinks of my designs, as tastes are very personal. For example I just don't get single drivers; every single system I have heard has sounded dire, so I would not expect someone who like that set of compromises to really dig my stuff.
Old 28th February 2010, 07:01 PM   #1760
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am waiting on some money to get the timber cut, but my new mains will be 200 h, 60 w and 40 d, a pair of AE TD15X (sealed W-U-W) and a Unity per channel. This project, as well as the sides/rears and subs is progressing even slower than usual for me and is beginning to make a glacier look speedy in comparison.
I'm looking forward to seeing those (in my old age eventually? ).

Quote:
Still a bit 'petite', no?
Small = no bass, no dynamic range and typical constipated sound - meh.
That's the thing that I'm curious about. Without giving too much details yet, the medium towers would have 21 (yes, I said 21) drivers in total per side and I think the construction could provide both bass and dynamics.
(the full size columns would have 66 drivers in total, told ya I'm certified )

Quote:
They were 25 years ago, so no photos. Basically 4 10" Australian made pro drivers in a huge ported cab (circa 300L net) each side, tuned to around 30Hz. Mains were 9 Foster wideranges and 9 Philips tweeters in a line source. Looked just like the IRS or the Genesis physically, just uglier. Xovers were 200 and 5k IIRC 18dB/oct passive.
Impressive, especially at that time I'd say.

Hide this!Advertise here!