System Pictures & Description

There is a more elegant solution to making this Rick's speaker work.

Lojzek,

Not sure what solution you are referring to.

I really did not like the Ribbon tweeter in the original design.
I took this slow route after considering all that was said on the original thread and based on private exchanges with Rick and few other knowledgeable folks in the forum.
DSP is flexible and lets me try and retry till i can get the best out of this.

As i had mentioned, the original speakers performed extremely poor in my room. Remains to be seen how much better DSP will make it.
Will post slow updates on the original thread.

An idea has crossed my mind. New and more narrow boxes,
a TMW 3 way design with multiple subs distributed around a
room for less seat to seat variation in bass spl. Nothing against
DSP. Just a thought.

Yes Lojzek, that will indeed help deal with room issues much better.

Some other options from the original thread were:

1. Porting the W22's by opening a port in the rear
2. Replace the 12" with passive radiators after cutting thru the separation
3. Remove the 12" and move them as two separate subwoofers in the room.

This is getting OT though, we can take the discussion to the original thread.

My reference system. Lost the room in the divorce but kept the system. I've been swapping out the tops trying various drivers but the modified Eminence 12LTAs with ASD1001 tweeters really sounds amazing to me. Love the H-frames fitted with Eminence Alpha 15. An all Eminence system can really sing.

Attachments

• reference-system-godzilla.jpg
    reference-system-godzilla.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 2,469
My reference system. Lost the room in the divorce but kept the system. I've been swapping out the tops trying various drivers but the modified Eminence 12LTAs with ASD1001 tweeters really sounds amazing to me. Love the H-frames fitted with Eminence Alpha 15. An all Eminence system can really sing.

Dammar-varnish them and you will see how much better they can sing ;)

Cheers,
M.

Scruffy can work!

If your new to diy don't let the finish of of posted designs put you off.
Most on here are of fantastic quality.
Im totally skint and needed some studio monitors for my cellar.
Used old chipboard furniture carcass' for this one.
front baffle dimensions determined by the 25mm thick tv stand top i had, which i basically cut in two.
the rest to make a roughly 20 lt cab
Mid and top provided by Kef egg drivers i got cheap from broken Kef HTS.Housed in sealed mid cab it uses the original crossover.
Bass ,no name 8" paper cone. lo/hi passed using cheap active car 2 way crossover.
iVe yet to measure but crossed 12db slopes, by ear 500hz to bass and a tad higher to the Kefs .
Rough and ready but pleased with the bass im getting.
WP_20151226_003.jpg

looks real good. what are the crossover system & amplification?

Thanks nuconz! I miss listening to this system. It had impact, slam and nuance like nothing I've had before. Large efficient drivers rock!

The Cary Audio tube gear sounds really smooth. SLA70mk2 amp and SLP94 preamp.
The CD player is a tube Anthem CD1 - which also sounds really great.
The subwoofer amp blew recently and was replaced by a modest 100 watt Dayton.
There's another Dayton solid state amp that's not connected to anything sititng on top of the CD player.

Crossovers, from the bottom up:
- Eminence Alpha 15 H-frame powered and adjusted by subwoofer amp.
- Eminence 12LTA running full range (but modified with a phase plug which smoothes it out).
- Eminence ADS 1001 has a 1.33uf cap (maybe it's a 1uf or 1.47uf, I can't remember) and the smallest Dayton waveguide.

Pretty simple and barely a crossover at all.

Last edited:
Thanks nuconz! I miss listening to this system. It had impact, slam and nuance like nothing I've had before. Large efficient drivers rock!

The Cary Audio tube gear sounds really smooth. SLA70mk2 amp and SLP94 preamp.
The CD player is a tube Anthem CD1 - which also sounds really great.
The subwoofer amp blew recently and was replaced by a modest 100 watt Dayton.
There's another Dayton solid state amp that's not connected to anything sititng on top of the CD player.

Crossovers, from the bottom up:
- Eminence Alpha 15 H-frame powered and adjusted by subwoofer amp.
- Eminence 12LTA running full range (but modified with a phase plug which smoothes it out).
- Eminence ADS 1001 has a 1.33uf cap (maybe it's a 1uf or 1.47uf, I can't remember) and the smallest Dayton waveguide.

Pretty simple and barely a crossover at all.

and no resonance cabinet in sight, eh?

looks great! so what is the driver complement?

Thanks, each baffle uses 9 Dayton PT2C-8 planar tweeters and are flanked by a total of 24 6 1/2" poly cone mids. The mids are no name speakers but are the same Dayton uses in their B652 speakers. Dayton Audio T-Amp and B652 Portable Speaker System Bundle

6-1/2" Poly Cone Midbass Woofer 4 Ohm

Dayton Audio PT2C-8 Planar Tweeter

It's the mid drivers that are the open baffle part of the design. The baffles are crossed at 2500Hz and 70Hz at which point my distributed bass handles 70Hz and below.