System Pictures & Description - Page 126 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2007, 01:05 AM   #1251
ttruman is offline ttruman  United States
diyAudio Member

Wish I had a web site so I could provide links. Hope all these posts are ok.

Remember this gem from Carver?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carver.c-9.jpg (12.0 KB, 4417 views)
Old 20th July 2007, 01:05 AM   #1252
diyAudio Member

The NS-1000 has been my main stay listening speaker since I purchased them in 1987. Properly placed these speakers a very detailed and accurate IMO. (Although my recent diy speaker project has revealed there deficiencies.) The feature Beryllium diaphragms and a pure spruce woofer with a 90db efficiency. Despite there modest 100W peak rating Tchaikovsky’s 1812 overture (Telarc) has peaked them at 300w with no complaints. There were the last (high end?) purchase I made until last year when I was able to re-persue my high end audio interest. The most notable comment I think I can make about these loudspeakers is that they are considered nearfield monitors and were used by mixing studios.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yamaha.ns-1000.jpg (96.0 KB, 4496 views)
Old 20th July 2007, 01:22 AM   #1253
diyAudio Member

I have a few pieces of equipment but I don't want to bore everyone to death so I let's get to my DIY project shall we?

I will start with a little background so please bear with me. About a year ago I decided to fulfill a lifelong dream of designing and building a very high end speaker system. I began by researching the CES to see what was what these days and for some reason I gravitated towards the Marten Design models with the Accuton ceramic drivers. I think it was the seeming simplicity of design in the Mingus and Miles II models which peaked my interest. After reading some reviews on 6 moons for a few Marten Design units I was hooked and the Mingus became my inspiration. A simple two way design that "appeared" to be a good beginner project. And my mind was set. So let's time warp through about a year and of research, software downloading, tooling , learning, designing, prototyping, building... and poof my Migus inspired speakers were born... while my first two way design was ok it lacked something I had become all to addicted too with the NS-1000's ... plenty of tight and articulate low bass. Something one 7" driver just couldn't deliver and that set the course for the near final version of my speaker project; A 2.5 way system with a C23-6 and two C-92-6 drivers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.fin.front.jpg (60.9 KB, 4668 views)
Old 20th July 2007, 01:27 AM   #1254
diyAudio Member

Here is a side shot showing the time aligment for the tweeter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b.fin.side.jpg (44.6 KB, 4517 views)
Old 20th July 2007, 01:28 AM   #1255
diyAudio Member

From the rear ( the ports are no longer used).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c.fin.back.jpg (39.0 KB, 4270 views)
Old 20th July 2007, 01:29 AM   #1256
diyAudio Member

A close up of the veener work. I used PVC glue and an iron.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d.fin.top.jpg (42.1 KB, 3441 views)
Old 20th July 2007, 02:02 AM   #1257
diyAudio Member

I have had difficulty getting that incarnation to sound "right" to my ears. Mostly I think my inexperience with crossovers design has been my weak point. (And with what I know now I would have chosen different Accuton drivers to pair up!!!). In short The T92-6 has a wicked breakup at 5Khz that I could not filter out and thus have been unable to crossover to the C23-6 with a good transfer function. I might have a go at it again as my experience with SW and crossover designs have improved considerably. Anyway for now I choose to take a different route. About 3 weeks ago using the same cab I re-purposed it to hold a C90-T6. Basically just cut a new hole and swapped in two C-92-12. But despite the smoother response of the midrange the cross over design was still kicking my butt!!!!! arrrrgggg. But alas after many ups and downs to numerous to mention I am happy to report the creation of a 12db LR last night that has great transfer function and sounds really good!! (I have always preferred the LR and Bessel alignments with this box for some reason.) The only downside is that I am going to have to make new cabs because the box Q is too high for the woofs. Both box models and my ears say it's around .9. I have found I prefer .7 to .6 with these drivers. Although perhaps I could mod the boxes? I'll give it some thought. Anyway below is a pic of where my design is now. It sounds so awesome. This is the most detailed and transparent speaker I have ever heard. It reminds me of some electrostats I listened to at tweeters. Fast and clean.

That's all I got for now... Thanks for checking it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg latest.jpg (35.0 KB, 3653 views)
Old 20th July 2007, 05:47 PM   #1258
ggta is offline ggta  France
diyAudio Member

What about the C90 sensibility? Is it really 93db?
Old 20th July 2007, 09:28 PM   #1259
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ggta
What about the C90 sensibility? Is it really 93db?
My frequency and thiel measurements with Speaker Workshop were quite close with those published by Accuton. I am not sure of the best way to measure spl as I have not attempted it yet. But based on the accuracy of Accutons specs I would have to say it is very close if not dead on. However the frequency responce of this driver is not flat. After applying a 12db passive LR alignment and a zobel to flatten a 4db bowl centered around 3k. My best guess estimates put the resulting sensitivity around 88/89 db.
Old 20th July 2007, 09:37 PM   #1260
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Careful not to shatter them to pieces!

Hide this!Advertise here!