System Pictures & Description

not that i have anything against tarkuses, i even modeled one once.
7bSNo.jpg

After a long slog (i do too many projects at once)

Its a pair of tri-amped speakers. used on my front channels(and stereo of course)
i call them "manticore" because i made tarkus before and spent tons messing with the crossover. if you look on the album cover art of "tarkus", manticore kills the tarkus.

tweeter: SEAS 27TDFC with 75uf film capacitor for safety (in case i make a mistake programming)
mid/bass: SEAS ER18RNX
woofer: CSS SDX10

tweeters and mid/bass powered by emotiva upa-500
woofers powered by emotiva upa-200

miniDSP 4x10(2x8 plugin)

yriwzb3.jpg

the cabinet front is not finished but this is about the speakers. Im using a laptop to program the DSP with, while i make some changes to (this thing) http://imgur.com/a/R5PSO

yeah the phone us usually in the kitchen but i just got a different internet connection and had to get it out of the way.

I am really happy with this. it sounds fantastic, very clear, goes down as low as i can hear very nice sound stage, and lots of audiophool adjectives! and i can make any changes i like without buying new crossover bits.

other people have asked me if the emotivas should be stacked. here they are after being on with the TV on for a few hours and then loud music for a couple of hours.

m2ETtL6.jpg

not bad at all 28.4c is the hottest thing on the picture, and i still haven't put feet on the miniDSP to get it off the vents of the top emotiva.

a cool trick, if you do something like this, and keep your old center and rear channel powered by a reciever, is to adjust the PEQ on the midrange to be wrong in a similar way to your old speakers, and use that miniDSP preset when watching things with surround. it makes the miniDSP powered speakers sound close enough to the old ones that there is no strangeness.

i have:
preset 1: music. everything full flat and REQwizzed as best possible for my room. lots of bass extention, a bit of boost below woofers resonance, which is quite hearable.

preset 2: same as above but "neighbors home" bass is reduced and no "linkwitz" boost below woofer resonance.

preset 3: all out but with midbass altered to sound more like the little polks i have for surround and center speakers

preset 4: same as above but with "neighbor home" on the bass.

as for the emotivas themselves, not bad at all! the price was good enough to get them instead of building a bunch of chip amps or whatever. they have been great so far.

Last edited:
I made a speaker system 3-way system.
The size is width 340mm, depth 340mm, 400mm height, 35 liters of sealed. Thickness 15mm. 15Kg weight.
Speaker units is ParcAudio DCU-171PP (~ 650Hz), Onkyo HM500A-MK2 (650Hz ~ 8KHz), Technics 5HH10 (8KHz ~).
Network has modified those of Coral CX-77.
Super bass can not be played, however, sound a powerful and delicate is obtained, I am very satisfied.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 2,740
  • 無題1.jpg
    無題1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 2,737
  • P1020099.JPG
    P1020099.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 438
  • 3way-sub-fres.jpg
    3way-sub-fres.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 347
my CT 227 MKII with Vavona Redwood Veneer and 10 layers of OIL. Front is sprayed black matt with Car-Rallye Spray! I only need to exchange the screws with black colored ones!

Here some more bad than good pictures made with my Mobile cam in not so well lit rooms!

Need to make pictures at daytime! The whole veneer glueing and oil finishing was a real mess. Damn.. The whole Building stank because of these little speakers. What I have to say, dont mess with the glue for the veneering more than one hour at once. Your brain will definetly go into "Half baked" mode! Yeez!

IMG_20130609_204940.jpg

IMG_20130609_211825.jpg

IMG_20130609_124511.jpg

IMG_20130609_124527.jpg

IMG_20130609_204953.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished my first build: bass 2xBeyma 8BR40N sideways push-push configuration (inspired by Kef Blade), mid ScanSpeak 15M-4624G00, high Vifa DX25TG09-04.

I'ts a project inspired just by reading forums and google searching, not asking a single question from annybody...wanted to see what i can do using my head and putting together the info found over the net...

Happy with the sound, but i know i can do better :)

DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0006.jpg
DSC_0007.jpg
DSC_0014.jpg
DSC_0015.jpg

Congratulations! Looks like a well considered design overall and well executed. I'm keen to try that mid out, specs look fantastic, are you enjoying it? Where have you crossed over? I think it needs about 300Hz so I wonder how well it integrates with the side mounted woofers.