System Pictures & Description

Thanks, it's really great to have the fine details.

What brand of 'Glas' and Putty (epoxy putty?) did you use to fill seams?

I used putty from brand "Car System" (Glas and soft). Soft putty from this brand is very good and easy for final handling.
And don't forget, before operations of fill the seams in enclousers, you should be applied to the MDF epoxy primer + after 15-20 min. 2k primer.

Attachments

• 80892m+.jpg
    80892m+.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,826
  • 80895m+.jpg
    80895m+.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 2,792
Hi

Did you have the enclosures painted at an autobody shop? Can you expand on what type of paint, # of coatings, and any clear coats?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

I used putty from brand "Car System" (Glas and soft). Soft putty from this brand is very good and easy for final handling.
And don't forget, before operations of fill the seams in enclousers, you should be applied to the MDF epoxy primer + after 15-20 min. 2k primer.

Hi

Did you have the enclosures painted at an autobody shop? Can you expand on what type of paint, # of coatings, and any clear coats?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Hi Bob !

Yes, i painted the enclosures at an autobody shop and i used the following automotive components for preparation for painting and painting:

- epoxy primer Sikkens (for isolation of MDF)
- 2K primer Sikkens Rapid dark gray
- putty Car System glas (for big seams) and soft (for final operations)
- base of paint BRULEX Special Black (it is very deep black color, more black than over black colors).
- clear coats Brulex 2K-MS

Thanks in advance :)
Denis

Attachments

• AutosurfacerRapid.jpg
    AutosurfacerRapid.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 2,592
  • 175.png
    175.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 96
Very nice first project, aesthetically perfect.
How do they sound?

Thanks ! Your projects very aesthetically perfect too :)

By the sound:
- rapid, large-scale, dense, and at the same time easy for listening bass. These 6” bass drivers from ARSLAB really can reproduce frequency up to 25-30Hz.
- Wide and deep scene. Ease /air at medium and high frequencies;
- High details on both, high and very low volume listening.

System weight:
Bass section: 30-31kg
TW/MID section: 24-25kg
Total approx. weight: 170-175kg

The Leftovers

My latest creation is a pair built to donated to a charity auction. They sell used audio equipment to raise funds for reading services for the blind. The goal was to make as good a pair as I could using as much leftover stuff as I could, hence the name.

• Woofers: Vifa P17WJ-00-04 in a Chebychev alignment. That's ~21 liters with a port tuned to ~45Hz.
  • Tweeters: Sinar Baja (SB Acoustics)TD25NH-05-08 1 pair in series per speaker.
  • Cabinets: 3/4" MDF screwed and glued together with lots of internal bracing and some damping in the back. Covered with vinyl veneer.
  • X-over is made from what I had available, plus some resistors I had to buy. 2nd order centered at ~625Hz.
The X-over is not optimal, so I built it on a barrier strip so it can easily be changed. I designed a much better X-over, then included plans including component sources.

Images are the speakers, the X-over, and SPL plots of woofer and tweeters without X-over. Test equipment used is: HOLM Impulse for farfield SPL measurements, Dayton's WT3 for impedance, and Audata's SpeakerWorkshop to model the enclosure and the X-over.

Attachments

• the leftovers completed.JPG
    the leftovers completed.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 3,262
  • X-over photo.JPG
    X-over photo.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 3,196
  • whole speaker FR no X-over.bmp
    90.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Hi there,
Not my first build, I have built several sub enclosures for my cars but my first home speaker build. It all started out with reading the F5 thread and building an dyi F5, can be found HERE. As I had listened to my new great amplifier on my cheap Simex speakers I came to the conclusion that I had to do something about the speakers.
I went to the local speaker shop for a couple of visits and listenend to some speakers and came to the conclusion that I had to pay myself sick for a couple of speakers that I really liked.
After this I started to search for a diy solution and after a lot of searching and reading found a speaker that I wanted to build, the DTQWT mk II designed by Troels Gravesen.
The boxes themselves were quite easy but as I wanted to do the painting myself, first time, it took some serious time.
They sound really good and balanced to me with the F5, the mids are excellent and the top is perfectly integrated, the two deltalines on the back you do not even notice. Maybe that is why I would like some more crounch in the bottom end but not much, so if you have ideas of how to accomlish this I'll be all ears. Please enjoy!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 3,041
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 3,125
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 3,243
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,411
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,151
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,433
Thanks terr.

hmm, those silver flutes are awesome, but a low, low qts. I don't believe in the manufactorer's qts spec of .2, but .25 - .3 wouldn't suprise me.

I thought of a baffle step woofer, but my guy hates them and prefers to run a passive cut circuit between preamp and amp (you can see something like it on the esp site). And I got the higher sensitivity 4ohm to match the 4ohm jbl compression driver. So a baffle step woofer would make for a punishing load, and would sound bad at a diyIowa (used an AR tube amp years ago).

I have a vega 12" that goes real low in its box (v12f) and of course the dual 15's (I have 2 boxes each with eminence 15lf's).

Right now, I'm not using any woofers/subwoofers with my klipsch rb75.

I have no idea if I will stay with mono/stereo, add another amp with the 80hz f-mod I have, someday build a sealed ppsl (push pull slot loaded subwoofer) or spring for a cheapie onkyo dolby digital reciver (least likely). I got to get my altec 9440a up and running. I'm quite happy without much woofing (for now). I've been doing the diy patch cord thing and have been focused there. Next up is the speaker wire thing (that I've done long ago b4 also). But my 26g magnet wire with plastic rat shack rca's beat out 24g twisted pair soft silver with canare rca's.

Hopefully speaker boxes are done in a week or so, then maybe 2 weeks till crossover is knocked out.

Norman

Last edited: