DIY Production studio questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, so I know somewhat similar questions about DIY studio monitors have been asked many many times, but I cannot seem to find a good answer for my specific application.

I have been to guitar center, listened to the range of affordable-semi-affordable-damn expensive prebuilt studio monitors and for what I do they just don't cut it.

I don't deal very much with live audio or much "acoustic" music, I am creating very bass heavy electronic music, sometimes dubstepish type bass riffs, with various MIDI controllers in Ableton Live. I need something that will be as uncoloured as possible, something that tells me the truth, no, rather screams the truth about every minute detail from subsonic to Ultra high HF.

I need to know what speakers if any are affordable, have the frequency range needed, and have the least amount of colouration possible.

Same with Cabinets, amps, and crossovers.

This system has to be able to keep up for hours on end, sometimes I am working down to aprox 15-20hz, sometimes even lower, and I have to know what this bassline will sound like or even feel like when played on large format club or outdoor system. But at the same time, I still need high resolution mid-high frequencies.

Thanks!

Last edited:
You forgot from background levels to ear bleeding. And, it has to fit in your toyota:D
Regarding: "I have to know what this bassline will sound like or even feel like when played on large format club or outdoor system."
I have no clue how you would manage to acheive that with even moving your own system to a new listening space let alone transfering your mix to a different system and listening space? Acheiving all your asking for in one fixed system is the Holy Grail for most and you seem to think you might be able to do it everywhere, on any system. ;)
Sorry, I know that is not what you wanted to hear but, their is plenty of comments on this forum to get you on an acheivable path or set you strait.
:Pawprint:

I have been to guitar center, listened to the range of affordable-semi-affordable-damn expensive prebuilt studio monitors and for what I do they just don't cut it.
I need something that will be as uncoloured as possible, something that tells me the truth, no, rather screams the truth about every minute detail from subsonic to Ultra high HF.

This system has to be able to keep up for hours on end, sometimes I am working down to aprox 15-20hz, sometimes even lower, and I have to know what this bassline will sound like or even feel like when played on large format club or outdoor system. But at the same time, I still need high resolution mid-high frequencies.

Thanks!
You need to establish the distance and playback SPL you want.
Reproducing 20-20K at 90 dBA (an OSHA "safe" level for your ears for 8 hours a day) at one meter can be done with a rather moderate sub and small top speaker.

If you want the experience of a club standing in front of PA speakers playing at 125 dB down to 20 Hz, you are looking for something that is not typically sold at the likes of guitar center.

I'm using the Mackie HRS120 sub (-3 dB at 19 Hz) below Tannoy PBM 6.5 monitors in my home studio with a listening distance from 1 to 3 meters.
Adequate for upwards of 105 dB, and can make the drywall flap at around 15Hz.

Nowhere near "club level", but plenty loud enough to make a mix that will translate well.
The PBM 6.5 were fine alone until I started mixing stuff with a lot of content below 50 Hz, when I noticed I had to use headphones more and more to hear what was lacking.

With the sub, I only need the phones for anything below 20 Hz, but I seldom mix much content that low because there are so few systems that can play back that low.
There are few dance club subs that go below 30 Hz.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.