Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2013, 11:29 PM   #1
j3price is offline j3price  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Bass Reflex Fane sovereign Beyma Cd10FE

This is my first Post on the forum. I have spent many hours reading and have learnt a great deal from this community. So thank you everyone!

I hopefully have attached my design of a two way speaker. I am trying to create a speaker that is clean and dynamic. Building the crossovers was the major breakthrough its enabled me to tame the compression driver and i think the cone breakup of the midbass. I will continue to tweak the response.

One aspect i'm not sure of is whether there is a disadvantage of separating the high and low pass to tame the rise in sensitivity of both drivers at the crossover frequency? I am also need to change the lpad to give more attenuation the details of which are in the attachment. any idea about what power rating the resistors will need to be? should i use two 20w cement resistors in parallel and double the resistance accordingly?

Both the document and the design are very much a work in progress but any input into improvements would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf speakers2.pdf (638.9 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by j3price; 10th March 2013 at 12:39 AM. Reason: I wanted to outline some questions for response :)
Old 10th March 2013, 12:41 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The best way to tell is just go along and testing.
By the way, do you know if any of the Econowaves was made with the Fane Sovereign 10-275 Driver. Maybe this is first time big show for such a classic.
Congratulations, looks nice already...
Old 10th March 2013, 10:08 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have not come across any designs with this driver. Only attempts at bass units for PA. I picked it because I had read that a mixture of high BL (17.5) and high QMS (8.1) would help produce tight bass in a reflex cabinet. These drivers are far from flat though, I need would to get a proper measurement mic to really test.
Old 10th March 2013, 04:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes , it seems to adapt very well to your specifications but as far as ""drivers are far from flat"", well... that's the nature of the beast. I can't consider a 25dB swing a very flat output curve.
You must have plans for the low frequencies with woofers/subs because your ~F3=68Hz. Too far out?
Old 10th March 2013, 05:59 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

That's interesting, I have not seen that graph before. I have only seen the one produced by Fane, they are very different! My predicted bass response is very different too. Listening to a sweep I can hear the response dropping after about 100hz. I'm not sure if the predicted response is correct!

Have I got my simulation wrong you think, If so can you see my mistake?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fane responce.jpg (525.1 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg bass respone.jpg (527.4 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by j3price; 10th March 2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Wrong graph,
Old 10th March 2013, 11:24 PM   #6
Dissi is online now Dissi  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3price View Post
Have I got my simulation wrong you think, If so can you see my mistake?
Your simulation is not wrong, but perhaps the TS-parameters.

Your data:
Vas=26.06 l
Mms=58 g
Bl=17.5 N/A

The official datasheet:
Vas=42.43 l
Mms=29.3 g
Bl=13.2

I found a third party measurement of the Fane 10-275 providing high quality MLSSA graphs:

http://www.prodance.cz/protokoly/Fan...ign_10-275.pdf
Old 11th March 2013, 03:04 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

""25dB swing""
I mean 5dB swing, nevertheless it's something to take into consideration.
(I was reading the impedance scale)
Old 11th March 2013, 03:10 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm giving 33 L following the measurements of your box (pdf), you give 35 L so it's not far fetched... you have to discount all internals including the vent volume.
Old 11th March 2013, 08:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

"I found a third party measurement of the Fane 10-275 providing high quality MLSSA graphs:"

Thanks for that! A Very good website. I have simulated the response using these third party Parameters and they look to match the measurements I have taken.

The response at 50 Hz is 9dB down matching what I can hear. Bellow 50hz there isn't anything going on.

I'm shocked how very different the manufactures data sheet is! Is this often the case

Can anybody recommend a good direction in which to take this project? I am open to suggestions. Am I barking up the wrong tree with the 10" driver from a small CAB ? Perhaps a 12" driver would be more rewarding in the long run..

I follow Ingvars Ahlberg projects very closely, the 10" faital pro gunsinger look Epic. Not sure how low it goes but I would be very content Living with those.

HiFiForum.nu - Två Halmstadflyttar och en björn i Nissan

Or the duel 10" Beautiful!

HiFiForum.nu - Två Halmstadflyttar och en björn i Nissan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fanebass3rdparty.jpg (343.3 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg overlay.jpg (341.3 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by j3price; 11th March 2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Sorry wrong graph !
Old 11th March 2013, 09:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Just sketched a design, heavily influenced by the designs I just posted.

75L CAB roughly, did not work out the port sizes. This design would be shallow enough to be against a wall and not stick out to much into the room. And low enough to not stick out to much, a nice black cloth grill and wood finish. Would blend in nicely.

I simulated a Faital pro 12PR310 and a Beyma Sm122 ( looks a bit of a dedicated sub maybe?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 75Liter cabinet drawing.jpg (84.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 75l cabinet.jpg (450.1 KB, 25 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!