Unprofessional, yet sounds good! DIY bodge job!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, you guys are probably going to think that im insane or perhaps some others here are just

as mad.
anyway...

I went to a second hand store and picked up a pair of "studio sound" EC-1000 speakers for £20 seemed a bargain, got home and found one of the drivers blown. There's a tweeter with a single capacitor, and two identical bass/mid drivers which have no crossover at all! insane! perhaps not ?

P1050444.jpg

Im aware this is probably considered crazy in the audiophile world but i don't live in that world i live in my world :D BUT, i have a pair of bass/mid drivers from B&W DM10 speakers built in 1983, i kept those drivers since 1999!
anyway so i thought that having only paid £20 i would butcher those cabinets and put in my drivers, when i told someone in a Hi-Fi shop about this i was told how much of a bad idea it is and was very discouraged from experimentation, he seemed to know all the answers and that's all he cared about his ego and up his own **** attitude lol.

heres what i did anyways and wow its sounds great! i had to dampen the B&W drivers with about 5ohm resistor as they were overpowering.

P1050449.jpg

Sounds good, i Personally think the DM10's bass driver sound lovely they reproduce bass and mid bass Realy authentically! drums and percussion are great. and in the original cabinet treble was sweet. but mid-range was lacking big time.
Im going to be using dayton rs52 dome mid's when i get the chance to create a decent crossover....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.