Glue for rare earth baffle magnets?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Many glues will hold onto the plating of the things. CA, Epoxy, Sillycone
Bigger issue is to plan on eventually having to replace them.
Platings will flake off ,sooner or later, then the exposed to air neodym magnet material will start to oxidise/crumble into toxic powder.

Bubble gum works great...But, my favorites are contact cement, and epoxy. Like someone else mentioned degrease and clean well for better contact, and always follow the label instructions. If using bubble gum, Bubbalicious and Big Chew are the best to bond anything to wood, just ask students, teachers, secretaries, and maintenance personnel. Remember to chew until extremely wet and with a putty like texture.

Last edited:
guangui,
I didn't know you were so funny after the mess on the B&C thread with the Canadian!

Kooshball as long as you cover the entire magnet with epoxy you should not see any corrosion. Cover both front and back and edges of the magnets and they should last a lifetime. Now on the epoxy side of things you have a couple of choices. If you think that you may want to remove the magnets for some reason in the future use a fast 5 minute setting epoxy, they are the weakest formulation and will remain somewhat rubbery even when set. If you never want to take them out use a slow drying epoxy such as Two Ton Devcon formulation, this will be both harder and difficult to remove, another even harder formula is JB Weld which has metallic filler and gets really hard. Remember with epoxy the slower drying formulas are always the strongest formulations and the fast set are the weakest.

I don't take things personal, and I'm sure J-A-G is a nice guy. I like to defend the small business, that's all. But, that's water under the bridge and not related to this thread.

I always like to joke and make fun. Life's too serious and complicated as it is.

Quick set Epoxy is the way to go. Good permanent adhesion, but still you can pry off and rework if needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.