Aino gradient - a collaborative speaker project

OTOH it is soooo ugly :whazzat:

Offspring of R2D2 and BB-8

GettyImages-469979268-copy-920x584.jpg

much nicer! :D

technically it's like yet another crossover between the Revolution line and the Gradient line

the first was Helsinki which took the dipole bas concept from Revolution and the rest was more in the line of Gradient 1.3

in 1.4 they tried the opposite direction and took the tilted back coaxial approach from Revolution and monopole bass concept from the Gradient line

the coaxial is substantially bigger then the midrange in Helsinki and it's at a greater height hence it's tilted back less I suppose

it's interesting that down-firing bass is crossed over at 200 Hz, 200 Hz is already a musical midrange

We don't know how steep the xo is, my guess is something like LR4 acoustic. I have tried up too 350Hz xo with AINOs and it didn't sound strange. That cardioid midrange is 6,5" and it gets stressed quite easily with low xo. 1.3 was crossed at 250Hz.

The ball head of 1.4 is not fixed, it can be rotated and tilted by the user. The reflex port is under the ball.

I have two preset xo version in my Minidsp 4X10HD. The earlier version has LR4 between mids and the tweeter. The later has LR2 acoustic in all three crossings. I like the all-LR2 better, more musical and natural. LR4 measures a little better though, with less distortion.

I read Troels Gravesen's pages regularly, and he has similar experiences with a two-way LR4 vs. LR2. 18W-8434G00

"V3 crossover: Making the stepped baffle and implementing a true LR2 filter made a world of a difference. Suddenly music started flowing and sense of depth and perspective improved vastly. I never heard the difference between a flat baffle/2nd-3rd order crossover and a stepped baffle/true LR2 filter so clearly. It's night and day. It also made me think I have to do the Ellam XT once more with an easy stepped baffle because people continue building the Ellam XT speaker rather than the much better Ellam FLEX with its more complex front panel layout. There are more to be gained from these Ellam XT. And I would love to do the 9800 tweeter again in such set-up... well, well, back to the Discovery here.

V4 crossover (stepped baffle): This has the well known 4th order characteristics. Even power response and a balanced presentation with a noticeable presence character. Good for monitoring! I know some people like this a lot but to my ears it sounds kind of flat and without the sense of depth and 3-dimensionality of the LR2 filter. Matter of taste in the end."

Last edited:
I have two preset xo version in my Minidsp 4X10HD. The earlier version has LR4 between mids and the tweeter. The later has LR2 acoustic in all three crossings. I like the all-LR2 better, more musical and natural. LR4 measures a little better though, with less distortion.

I read Troels Gravesen's pages regularly, and he has similar experiences with a two-way LR4 vs. LR2. 18W-8434G00

"V3 crossover: Making the stepped baffle and implementing a true LR2 filter made a world of a difference. Suddenly music started flowing and sense of depth and perspective improved vastly. I never heard the difference between a flat baffle/2nd-3rd order crossover and a stepped baffle/true LR2 filter so clearly. It's night and day. It also made me think I have to do the Ellam XT once more with an easy stepped baffle because people continue building the Ellam XT speaker rather than the much better Ellam FLEX with its more complex front panel layout. There are more to be gained from these Ellam XT. And I would love to do the 9800 tweeter again in such set-up... well, well, back to the Discovery here.

V4 crossover (stepped baffle): This has the well known 4th order characteristics. Even power response and a balanced presentation with a noticeable presence character. Good for monitoring! I know some people like this a lot but to my ears it sounds kind of flat and without the sense of depth and 3-dimensionality of the LR2 filter. Matter of taste in the end."

One possible improvement you could do would be to use FIR all pass correction in front of the 4x10HD like Bruno does in the Grimm LS1. If your source is a computer you should be able to do it in software but if not there is always the option to get an OpenDRC.

OllBoll - sorry no plans to go FIR. I have many sources and minidsp gets analog input from my HT-amp (Yamaha RX-V 630RDS), and I adjust volume with Yammy. This is just fine for me and my family - the minidsp and AINOs have power on 24/7 and are operationally invisible for the end-user.

manninen - I haven't made standardized polar or distortion measurements for a long time and I haven't saved the quick ones. In attachments we see phase of vx2 (LR4, lowest LR2) vs. v3 (all LR2).

Attachments

• ainogneo83 vx2 0¤ 6ms spl phase min.jpg
    ainogneo83 vx2 0¤ 6ms spl phase min.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 433
  • ainogneo83 vx3 0¤ spl phase min 6ms 112.jpg
    ainogneo83 vx3 0¤ spl phase min 6ms 112.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
I had been looking for ideas on next build, but trying not to spend too much money. I find this Aino concept is worth to try, with drivers that I already had from my open baffle build.

I just ordered minidsp 2x4 HD, basicly it will be only 3ways, with additional passive super tweeter. Harsch XO seems interesting to be applied here.

below the drivers that I will use :
- 21" Subwoofer : sealed 280 liter http://acrspeaker.com/?product=21-pa-113212-sw-fabulous-by-acr

- 12" midwoofer : I hope it can compete with Beyma 12mwnd :)
http://acrspeaker.com/?product=12-pa-75124-w-n-fabulous-by-acr

- 8" audionirvana classic + fostex T90A

21" subwoofer will be driven by behringer nu3000dsp, while woofer and fullrange will be managed by minidsp. woofer will be driven by aragon2004, fullrange will be driven by one of my class a amplifier.

While waiting for minidsp arrival, i'm trying to get on ideas to mount woofer and fullrange without baffle.
- 1st idea : copying this Aino mount scheme, which might need alot of try and error on the mounting
-2nd idea : hang them on steel frame with steel cable, seems easier but maybe look ugly :) I am not a good drawer, but attached image might give basic idea.

@Juhazi, can you share a close look of your mounting scheme on woofer? how do you attach it to the panel?

Attachments

• IMG_20180625_123231.jpg
    IMG_20180625_123231.jpg
    654.4 KB · Views: 447
Hi Gadut, please still consider using a 4" driver instead of 8"! A 8" will beam too much and the 12" can easily play up to 1000Hz. Kreskowsky and Linkwitz use 4" mids too.

Treble looks like a mess of resonances to mee. Sorry but I just hate these fullranges... Audio Nirvana Super8 Cast Frame Fullrange Loudspeaker Measurements Data and Information Full Range

The 12" is resting on a cutout in the pole. Velcro strip on back of magnet is used to hold it still. It is not as solid as I would like but I don't want to use glue. I use slow sweeps to study mechanical resonances - listening and measuring.

Attachments

• 8 inc dipole edge.jpg
    8 inc dipole edge.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 465
  • AINO GRADIENT body tile.jpg
    AINO GRADIENT body tile.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 486
  • ainogneo83 stand close.jpg
    ainogneo83 stand close.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 484
Last edited:
Hi Juhazi, pyramid shape that I will use is an empty baffle, the metal frame is only to hold the driver. so it will be baffless. 8" is not mandatory size for me, for sure I'll play later with another fullrange, hence my panel support for fullrange should be replaceable.

alpair 10p is stored in my drawer, it's a 5.25". another candidate maybe Vifa TC9FD, Scanspeak 10F, or Satori MR13P, plenty of choices.

That is good picture for my reference, many ideas on my head now on how to mount the driver... going to metal shop might give another ideas too from the experienced guy there.

Yes it is a good idea to play with different drivers and crossovers. A single proto is enough and open baffle mono sounds really nice !

The differences between different drivers (when adjusted well) are actually surprisingly small when listening. But expect some 6 months to make it really sing!

looking at 280 liter sealed enclosure might be annoying on my room. I think I'll go with infinity kappa 1200W sealed 65ltr for better enclosure geometry.

However I'm still intrigued by Infinite baffle as I already have 2 pcs 21", buying another 2pcs seems adequate for 9Liter air movement. I'm also in the process on my house renovation which will add a new living room as also my audio room. I have abandoned HT setup which seems not possible in my small house, hence does it good to build iB subwoofer along with sealed 12" subwoofer? are they redundant?