Aura NS6-255-8A 6" in a 12 L ported box - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2013, 08:31 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

SpirosZ,
If this is just to experiment with and learn the simple thing would be to just run the two aura speakers in parallel and get the impedance you are after which would be 4ohms. It would be a mono setup that way, but you sound like you are trying to learn. I have a case of those speakers sitting in storage, they are very good for the price, really amazing really for such a small speaker with the neo magnet system. They sound okay, nothing special, but much better than most other little speakers like this. If you can run with an 8 ohm load just run one in each box, your amp should do that, probably safer for it as the impedance could drop fairly low in parallel. I would run them as a two way with an inexpensive dome tweeter and you will be very surprised in the sound. Try something like a 1" soft dome from Audax, they aren't very expensive and work well. I am thinking of a TWO25AO an excellent sounding dome tweeter.
Old 5th March 2013, 08:32 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jReave View Post
If you don't need anything below 80Hz, then a sealed 12L box will work fine. Qtc is about .779. Xmax will be exceeded with 10W producing 98.5dB's when content is below 80Hz.
Calculating the true Xmax on an overhung driver is a little more problematic.

In a normal driver the VC is longer than the magnetic gap, so Xmax is simply reached when the VC starts leaving the magnetic gap. However, much of the VC will always be outside the magnetic gap.

In an overhung driver like the Aura NS6 the VC is shorter than the magnetic gap. By the same logic as for a normal driver then the Xmax would happen when any part of the VC starts to leave the magnetic gap.

However, that is not the true Xmax. The true Xmax is somewhere between none of the VC having left the magnetic gap and half of the VC having left the magnetic gap (the latter is usually considered the Xlim of an overhung driver).
Old 5th March 2013, 08:41 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAUDIO View Post
I see your point.
But my goals are mainly portability and budget.
Have you checked out my Boominator MINI project Boominator MINI (development thread) - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1

It uses those Aura NS6 drivers in a very small sealed cabinet. Q is roughly 1.1 in this case because a slight mid-bass increase is desirable with the NS6 due to it's slightly decreasing output in the mid-bass. It's primarily designed for outdoors use or in relatively large rooms with problematic acoustics like kitchens as an extra speaker. Also college dorm rooms would be a good use.
Old 5th March 2013, 08:43 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Saturnas,
You have reversed the term, this is an underhung voicecoil design. The coil is shorter than the magnetic gap length, overhung has the coil longer than the gap, hence the term overhung. The aura is a solenoid designed magnetic circuit with radial magnet section, a very cleaver application of neo magnets when they first came out. The limitation on excursion on the Aura is the surround, you just plain run out of movement due to the limited physical length of a half round surrounds dimensions. The other limit with the Aura is the voicecoil which is a very small gauge wire on a small 1" former.
Old 5th March 2013, 08:48 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
Saturnas,
You have reversed the term, this is an underhung voicecoil design. The coil is shorter than the magnetic gap length, overhung has the coil longer than the gap, hence the term overhung. The aura is a solenoid designed magnetic circuit with radial magnet section, a very cleaver application of neo magnets when they first came out. The limitation on excursion on the Aura is the surround, you just plain run out of movement due to the limited physical length of a half round surrounds dimensions. The other limit with the Aura is the voicecoil which is a very small gauge wire on a small 1" former.
Yeah. Sorry about that. Hope everyone gets the point still.

And yes, Xlim is reached before half the VC has left the MG on the NS6 due to other limitations.
Old 5th March 2013, 09:17 AM   #16
SpirosZ is offline SpirosZ  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
SpirosZ,
If this is just to experiment with and learn ...
It's not me who is interested, it's ATAUDIO
Old 5th March 2013, 09:49 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Sorry about that SpirosZ
Old 5th March 2013, 12:30 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
They sound okay, nothing special, but much better than most other little speakers like this.
What would you say their weakness is? I have a box of four and was thinking about using one as a midrange in a three way speaker.
Old 5th March 2013, 02:38 PM   #19
ATAUDIO is offline ATAUDIO  Austria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
Have you checked out my Boominator MINI project Boominator MINI (development thread) - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1
Yes, I have, and I believe we discussed already about that in another thread. I really like your idea, but for my application I need marked difference between front and rear in outdoors, or on top of a small improvised stage. And of course all the SPL that I can get for the money.
I will have at least a microphone hung there, so you better know where you are firing your power.

So seems I am going to a have bass reflex cab with the Aura of about 15 l, and a sealed mid + treble of 9 l with the Celestion and the piezo. Between the tops will seat the electronics, in the middle.
WinSD seems do not complain too much of a 15 L Bass reflex tuned at 45. The only parameter that I do not really understand is the Ql , that is set to 0.7 I believe there is a lot of assumption behind that.

After I may experiment cutting a cuople of 55 mm holes between the bass and mid boxes (that I can easily glue back) but the logic seems against that.

Also I am not sure if is better a slim and deep port or a large and shallow one? They simulate the same,the latter would have weight advantages, but I have always seen that good sounding boxes have quite deep ports, something half way.

Last edited by ATAUDIO; 5th March 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 5th March 2013, 03:28 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

fatmarley,
They are actually fairly well behaved little speakers, the bottom end is a little light. I have some that I used as early prototypes for a speaker cone development that I cut out the cone and replaced it with a cone of my own design and they did sound better but you can't buy them so that is a moot point. I think that they were originally designed to be used in high end TV sets before flat panel designs made that impractical. They are so light they would make a nice portable two way system with the Audax I sighted earlier.

ps. ATAUDIO,
Do not put a port between the bass and mid section you will only proceed to modulate the mid-range driver and mess that all up.

Hide this!Advertise here!