Against the wall loudspeakers, pro's and con's?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HOME THEATER RULES!

Up Against the Wall Mother F...... Speakers!

In most homes large flat panel displays are on, or next to the wall. This is the room where the family meets. This is where parents teach their children the meaning of life from selected videos. This is where parents can sneak in healthy vegetable snacks!

In most homes narrow tall'ish speakers are up against the wall next to the flat panel display.

CHALLENGE. Design speakers that produce "unusually great soundstages" when they are against the wall, or in the corner of a HT.

The meaning of life is family. Design speakers that make your kids happy watching a flat panel illusion on the wall. Purchase DVDs that teach important live lessons. (purchase Copland's sheet music for Piano)

HOME THEATER RULES!

Up Against the Wall Mother F...... Speakers!

Real World Rooms

I am with you Line Source!

Its all about bringing the highest quality AV experience into as many real world family homes as possible.
If I had to call it I'd say in wall is the best choice, but only where one ( the family) has the luxury of being able to build / re-model their room to accomodate the speakers....Not too many folks really.

So On Wall gets my vote, easy to move around / upgrade / downsize etc.
Technically lots of advantages over floor standers and sonically can be made to sound astonishing.
Build in high efficiency digital amps / DAC's to the back of the speakers, this only adds approx 30mm depth or can even be ( although not the best way) included inside the cabinet.
Final stage is to include a HD ( 24 bit 192KHz or even up to DSD) WiFi reciever in the electronics and you have the dream team...On Wall, No racks, No Box's, No Cables (only 1 DC power supply cable into each speaker), only great sound!

Cheers
Derek.

It looks good. It could be made even simpler if it's just a triangle shape and driver pointing inwards like you have there. Can avoid the extra angle and achieve easier to manufacture cabinet.
True. I was just hoping to add more volume without having the enclosure jut out more than the minimum necessary. :)

Another reason to add that extra angle was to give a 45-deg edge to the baffle instead of a 90-deg edge. Reduces diffractions, I believe?

Against a wall, a shallow but wide cabinet has less diffraction problems than a narrow but deep one of the same volume.
LineSource has raised a good point that many people bought conventional stand mount and floor standers to go either side of a big CRT television, so a metre away from the wall was not a problem before

The Iron Lawbreakers are about 22" deep with the front panel typically being perhaps 2' from the back wall in 'typical' placement. This would place the fundamental dip at about 125hz and the peak around 250hz. Above ~550hz, the HF horn takes over, so that the back wall interface is mostly limited to below that frequency due to the World's largest bookshelf speakers being close to the back wall, and further limited due to the front baffle width being about 19".

Steinway Lyngdorf - S-Series Speakers

These speakers are meant to be placed very close to or against the wall.
I don't understand exactly what they are doing but they have vents on the side of the speaker. I'm guessing that creates a directivity effect and minimizes edge diffraction.
At the heart of this very expensive speaker system is a DSP processor that I imagine corrects for the negative effects of the rear wall reflection.

Steinway Lyngdorf - S-Series Speakers

These speakers are meant to be placed very close to or against the wall.
I don't understand exactly what they are doing but they have vents on the side of the speaker. I'm guessing that creates a directivity effect and minimizes edge diffraction.
At the heart of this very expensive speaker system is a DSP processor that I imagine corrects for the negative effects of the rear wall reflection.

Looks like a wave guide directing the back wave of the AMT tweeter to the left and the right:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

more to follow soon

Hi SouthPaw ( Boxer?)

The thread is still active I think...I have not had a chance to finish the attached yet, but hope to get some time soon.
I really think that on wall and / or in wall is the way to go for DIY, really great WAF means the wives are much more willing to let you spend the money!
Also the " sound per £ pound " ratio is fab as the speakers benefit from the boundary affect rather than suffer from it...Location, location, location!!

My goal is to do design a range of on wall / in wall domestic and Pro loudspeakers which do away with pre-amps, crossovers, cables & interconnects, DAC's and all mains power filters and cables ( apart from a battery charger) i.e. have a battery powered system consisting of:

All digital source: A fanless media PC with A to D as well as digital inputs.
Signal transmition: WiFi. Min 350 Mbs per channel ( up to 9 channels ).
Signal decoding and amplification : True digital amplification with full DSP control.
Loudspeakers: On wall / in wall Line array with true full range drivers i.e. no subs required for music but optional for home cinema.
Aesthetics: Beautiful but subtle for on wall, invisible for in wall and robust but discrete for Pro.
Pricing : Aggressive!!

Hope to have some DIY Kits available in may.

Cheers
Derek.

Attachments

• 25 march LA 16 273.jpg
    25 march LA 16 273.jpg
    698 KB · Views: 112
  • 25 march LA 16 279.jpg
    25 march LA 16 279.jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 113
Hi Derek,
Thanks for your response. From time to time it is difficult for me to respond as quickly as many can in these forums...work load...seldom consistent.

Your ideas certainly sound interesting, a departure from the norm. I look forward to hearing more and hope it will generate interest.

Will stay tuned in.

Kindest,
Marko

(Southpaw-The proud father of a hard throwing lefty)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.