Deciding which speakers to build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2013, 11:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Deciding which speakers to build

I currently have a cheap logitech 5.1 (z506) system whose sound quality is getting on my nerves so I've decided to make my own sound system. I'm going to revert back to stereo for now. The source will be my home built computer. The rest I will build (I plan to use kits).
For the loudspeakers I've been looking at Strassacker, a site which I was advised to go to. My budget being 60-80 per speaker I have been looking at the following kits:
CT260
CT246
CT241
CC95
and finally this one.
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of these kits or any advise to give which would greatly help me in deciding which one to get. Any other kits/projects/ideas are welcome. I would just like to make a kit with instructions as these will be the first speaker which I make so I don't have any experience and would like something which doesn't sound too bad.
Old 4th March 2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Looking from the designs of the speakers in the website, you better find design from bright individuals on the net who do this for hobby but know better about speaker design (and do it for passion instead of quick money)
Old 4th March 2013, 12:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to voxxonline
Look for amiga 2 way , it must be good for a budget.
Old 4th March 2013, 01:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Looking from the designs of the speakers in the website, you better find design from bright individuals on the net who do this for hobby but know better about speaker design (and do it for passion instead of quick money)
This is simply not true. Most of these speakers in the Strassacker shop come from the K&T magazine and are properly engineered. Not some try and error projects without any measurements. Thousands were built of these speakers. Some of the got really famous, like the CT230 (Strassacker, Komponenten: Lautsprecher, Frequenzweichen, Bauelemente) to which I'm listening right now. I suggest the CT230 or CT260.
Old 4th March 2013, 03:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies.
One of the reasons that I want to get the kit from Strassacker is because they have been properly tested as the_manta mentioned (they don't seems to have an amiga 2 way kit so unless you have any specific ideas I doubt that go for that).
I also don't need to look for designs as instructions come with the speakers. The CT230 is a bit over my budget so it seems that I will get the CT260 unless anyone has any better ideas.
Old 4th March 2013, 03:35 PM   #6
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

That CT230 sure looks reasonable.
And it probably will be better than any cheap plastic monstrosity.
Old 4th March 2013, 05:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

google StratAirKit. I built the 3r version. Really good. Only distinctive bettering it with scanspeak or seas. In my opinion
Old 4th March 2013, 06:26 PM   #8
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

It's reassuring to see people saying those kits were well engineered because I was looking at the Mimir kit sold at solen.ca and people said here to use either the Zaph Audio, Troels Gravesen or Jay_JW design (never found his one). Then I found out audioexcite built his own version of the Zaph SR71 and apparently improved it by increasing the cabinet size from 14L to 18L. In any case, I did post some links to designs in my own thread that's now on the second page. I'm not the expert here so it's reading at your leisure if you will. Some places like solen.ca offer a crossover design or build service so you don't have to put them together yourself. (And I think meniscusaudio is the one that can build cabinets to your specifications.) I'm kind of leaning towards buying a kit myself.

Then maybe later I could get to a point where I could verify designs like audioexcite. No, just kidding, I may never get to that level. I wish I had the money right now to pay him to verify a design I found. Anyway, my thread is here: Seas CA15RLY bookshelf designs.

Last edited by fakeout; 4th March 2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 4th March 2013, 07:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Never order a net-calculated xo. They are rubbish.
XO design is always about making compromises. Saying that one bettered a crossover is just using the wrong words. They just made it different, more the way they think is better. Dont think that because someone claims he or they made a better crossover that u are going to like the sound of it more. And yes, the designs found at strassacker are all very well engineerd, always looking at cost vs benefit. and sure the designers all have different philosophies, and sure they are not always made to produce rulerflat spl. But rest assured the designers know what they are doing, what compromises they make and why they make them.
Old 4th March 2013, 07:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I shall repeat others and say that comment is needlessly harsh, and untrue. Some good budget kits there. I have the mission CP168 used in some of the cheap trick series tower designs and I am very happy with them, for the price they are very clean. The visaton 4 inch drivers arent bad either. Go for it! I was reminded of the MITA2 kit, which i have the woofers here. I dont know the quality of the tweeters, but for a low budget I doubt you can beat the cheap trick series.

Hide this!Advertise here!