A good sounding 6.5" midbass, efficient (>=90dB) and under 100$, does this exist?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: A good sounding 6.5" midbass, efficient (>=90dB) and under 100$, does this exist?

Bricolo said:
I only see efficient full rangers, and <90dB midbasses

Am I looking for something that doesn't exist? :confused:

They exist, but their bass-performance is less sensitive, and if you take into account the effects of Baffle-Step, you end with a 2way of about 86 dB/W/m, so you need atleast 2 drivers in a 2.5 way configuration.

Drivers which are quite efficient you can find in the catalog of your fellow french manufacturers Audax, Focal, Cabasse, PHL ;)

Re: Re: A good sounding 6.5" midbass, efficient (>=90dB) and under 100$, does this ex

LaMa said:

They exist, but their bass-performance is less sensitive, and if you take into account the effects of Baffle-Step, you end with a 2way of about 86 dB/W/m

That's what I'm worried about.
I want to start with something simple, a 2 way (1 tweeter, 1 midbass)

But with all the midbasses I've seen, +-87dB/W, plus BFC, I end up with a 84-86dB/W loudspeaker :(

Here is just one suggestion...

Hi Bricolo,

My speakers use 2x Seas W17PPI/H571 (6.5" coated paper midbass, inverted surround, phase plug, big magnet, upto 4khz, bass good into the high forties). If you can buy it, it will cost about 70E iirc. I think the sensitivity@1w/m is 91db, with two in the actual speaker, the overall sensitivity is roughly 91db/w/m. This driver seems really good, although I am not 100% happy with the speaker overall (can't blame this driver though).

Seems to sound clean, precise, detailed, punchy, if a little lean in the mid-range - again, this is the x-over design, probably. Maybe in a 2.5-way configuration, it would kick some more ***...

Good luck finding something, here is just one option of many!!

-Simon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.