Seas CA15RLY bookshelf designs. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2013, 01:10 AM   #1
fakeout is offline fakeout  Canada
diyAudio Member

Wink Seas CA15RLY bookshelf designs.

I found this design:
Calypso

Anyway, I wonder if anyone has any comments on this. Like, is the driver too old, is a vented design OK for that driver or better sealed, etc.?

Also, this one. Does anyone have any pics of the inside of the cabinet? It looks complicated.
SEAS 5INCH

So, would either of these two designs work well with a Emotiva mini-X a-100 amplifier and Asus Xonar D1 sound card?

By the way, I found this one also, but I just noticed it's for the larger CA18RLY:
CA18RLY/22TAF-G
Old 3rd March 2013, 01:32 AM   #2
Jay1111 is offline Jay1111  United States
diyAudio Member

Not sure exactly what you're asking? Theyre all established designs, and the drivers are still available. Any reason you want to use that Seas? The value isnt great compared to newer drivers.
Old 3rd March 2013, 03:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Oh OK, I was thinking about that driver because there are free plans for it. Uh, I can't tell which ones are newer. Well, anyway I can look at the other Seas but I also prefer finding free plans for them. Looking for smallish desktop. I know people will say you need minimum 6.5 inches for adequate bass.

I'd prefer the smallest, biggest bass sealed speakers I can reasonably get for say under $500.
Old 3rd March 2013, 04:25 AM   #4
Jay1111 is offline Jay1111  United States
diyAudio Member

The overnight sensations sound exactly like what you want, other then being ported and way under your budget.

https://sites.google.com/site/undefi...ightsensations

https://sites.google.com/site/undefi...htsensationmtm
Old 3rd March 2013, 08:16 AM   #5
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Lovely range of drivers at SEAS. I like all of them! Cheapskates look elsewhere please.

FWIW, the CA15RLY is a driver suited to around 14L of bass reflex cabinet. That's how it is with a Qts around 0.34. A closed box driver is nearer 0.5.

I don't suppose Troels Gravesen has ever published a duff design.
SEAS 5INCH
CA18RLY/22TAF-G
But if heavy bass is your bag, a larger bass coil and cabinet helps. Thus the second design is going to have a lot more. The metal 22TAF-G is a gem, but you could fit a less loud 22TFF soft-dome and just reduce the treble filter input resistor to brighten it up.

The Calypso CA15RLY is a good bass filter with a nice notch around 5kHz and will be bassier than Troels' design due to bigger bass coils, but the treble filter looks overly fussy and I would simplify it. None of these cabinets are overly complicated. Just simple bass reflex at heart. Bracing is optional.

I enclose a couple of filters that will work with most 6" paper bass units. The red resistors are your level adjustment. See these filter things are mostly the same!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Troels_SEAS_CA15RLY_22TAF-G.JPG (71.1 KB, 477 views)
File Type: jpg Troels_CA18RLY_22TAF-G.JPG (36.2 KB, 478 views)
File Type: jpg Calypso_Bookshelf_CA15RLY_27TDFC.JPG (23.5 KB, 475 views)
File Type: jpg Standard_Crossover_6inch_PaperBass_Attenuator.JPG (23.8 KB, 468 views)
File Type: jpg Standard_Crossover_6inch_PaperBass_Zobel.JPG (23.8 KB, 467 views)
Old 3rd March 2013, 01:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Here's another: CAOW1
Old 3rd March 2013, 03:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb w00t! Seas H1480 L16RN-SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
Here's another: CAOW1
Yeah, oddly enough I was looking and read quickly the driver was used to replace another driver. I quickly saw the name of the other driver and got confused so I didn't put up the link.

Anyway... Thank you System7 for the info. I just found these:
Seas CA18RLY QTS 0.47
Seas L16RN-SL QTS 0.45

Scan-Speak 18W/8434G00 QTS 0.43

I know Scan-Speak might be my second choice but people say it depends which specific drivers you're comparing. It looks like the Seas L16RN-SL might be the one that would make the smallest closed box. (The full name is H1480 L16RN-SL.) Can that go down to 47 Hz in a sealed cabinet? (My Creative T12 can go down to 47 Hz.) I haven't looked for free designs yet for that model.
Old 3rd March 2013, 04:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

SEAS L16RN-SL : H1480 L16RN-SL

You could be entering a world of PAIN with that metal one, my friend. Needs a good notch at 5kHz. Not for a rookie!

Scanspeak and Vifa are actually all part of Tymphany. Nice drivers, but VERY pricey at the top end. This looks affordable, and Wilmslow Audio's Mercury Cabinet will house the 149mm and 104mm drivers in about 11L IIRC:
Vifa PL14WJ-

The Vifa PL14WJ is rather similar to the Scan-Speak 15W/8434G00, IIRC. Just vented on the bass.

Pricier Sliced paper:
Ellam-XT

My friend, the world is your oyster really. We have moved away from 5" to 6.5" units, it seems. Now I'M getting confused...LOL

Last edited by system7; 3rd March 2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 3rd March 2013, 04:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
Scanspeak and Vifa are actually all part of Tymphany.
Technically speaking Scan split off from Tymphany a good while ago as a completely separate entity. This left Vifa and Peerless under the Tymphany roof, but Tymphany are trying to do away with Vifa entirely having Peerless absorb all of its product lines.

On the Tymphany website Vifa don't actually exist, it's the rest of the world/parts stockists that still bear the Vifa name.

This is all somewhat academic though, but Scan are not owned by Tymphany any more.
Old 3rd March 2013, 04:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
Technically speaking Scan split off from Tymphany a good while ago as a completely separate entity. This left Vifa and Peerless under the Tymphany roof, but Tymphany are trying to do away with Vifa entirely having Peerless absorb all of its product lines.

On the Tymphany website Vifa don't actually exist, it's the rest of the world/parts stockists that still bear the Vifa name.

This is all somewhat academic though, but Scan are not owned by Tymphany any more.
Ah, quite right, I'm sure. The Vifa PL14WJ is hard to find these days, and only made in limited runs by SOMEBODY!

Somebody is using the same tooling though. Apart from the bass vent and change of cone material, the PL14WJ is remarkably similar to the Scan speak 15W-8434G00. Useful if you want to reuse a cabinet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vifa_PL14WJ-09-08.JPG (47.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Scanspeak-15W-8434G00.JPG (75.2 KB, 80 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!